Indices

11 hours ago, dmedin said:

A consolidation triangle, before resuming the prior trend 🐮

I d say ...You might as well have a cable pozzy....££ up FTSE down, and vice  versa...BHP reports this week and ftse full of miners and oilies...take your pick.

• Like 2
  • 10 year US rates :  This is the conundrum :  IF the bulls are right and stocks have further to go up then bonds are a total sell.   But as bonds fall and yields rise that will put pressure on stocks to go down unless earnings can rise in line with the rising bond yield.  
  • If the goldy locks economy of low rates and low growth is right and rates have further to fall, then US stocks are over priced.....Because expectations are built in for endless rises in stock earnings....The US economy is at full employment...with ultra low rates......
  • .So what happens when ....employment starts to rise.....dropping rates...has nt worked so far to re-inflate the economy..Fiscal measures....The US gov deficit is at full stretch.....They have nt fixed the roof while the sun shone have they ????  I think the US and Fed has painted itself into a corner which they ca nt get out of.....Remember Goldy locks , has 3 bears !!  10-year-treasury-bond-rate-yield-chart-2020-01-20-macrotrends.thumb.png.33dff1bd3589338f9e686db13e1cd98c.png
58 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Markets held fast over Friday and the weekend. This week sees rate decisions from Japan, Canada and the EU plus Flash PMIs from the EU states and the UK.

Daily Dax and Dow and weekly Ftse and S&P;

image.thumb.png.c28e24bfd2ce68004ae9341d2f4e57b4.png

image.thumb.png.fd4e3d4c8b2eee58b03bf3175ff85658.png

image.thumb.png.5e915575f7ce7d5cf0514c519a274418.png

Just remember that US index futures will close early, 18:00 GMT. The will reopen at 23:00 GMT. 

Cash indices will be priced but they will have out of our hours spread. 

This is due to the US federal holiday marking the birthday of Dr Martin Luther King Jr.

• Thanks 1

This will make you laugh; 

[SAN DIEGO (Reuters) – The Federal Reserve could find itself fighting too-low inflation for years to come, San Francisco Federal Reserve President Mary Daly said on Friday, and may need a new policy framework to lift inflation back up to the Fed’s 2% goal.

“We don’t have a really good understanding of why it’s been so difficult to get inflation back up,” Daly said at the annual American Economics Association meeting in San Diego.]

Turns out the top economists in the country don't understand how modern economics work, but never mind Modern Monetary Theory is coming.

Ronald Reagan said back in the 80's that the national debt was big enough to take care of itself and guess what, he was right. 😳

• Great! 1
  • Thought provoking 1
9 minutes ago, cheviot said:

To (miss) quote Bill McLaren  (RIP)  Stocks are trading...'like a wet haggis'..

They all followed Dow when it dropped on the 1am hourly bar, the only thing I can find that it's attributed to is news SARs type virus outbreak in China has reportedly spread to other countries.

image.thumb.png.f80e6f95c873a0b8069d24366fdb7f65.png

Edited by Caseynotes

WRAPUP 1-China virus outbreak spooks global markets as fourth death reported

04:46
    * Fourth person dies from pneumonia in city of Wuhan 
    * More than 220 cases confirmed, mostly in China
    * Asian shares fall amid fears of outbreak's spread
    * Australia, Singapore strengthen screening measures

image.thumb.png.4a6a22e3cd0c9f3d16ab7b9049a77cfd.png

image.thumb.png.4f8ce296fc7b81b1c8b5f1b4663de900.png

image.thumb.png.60ada073e189c65de4baeee543fc8645.pngimage.thumb.png.60ada073e189c65de4baeee543fc8645.png

• Like 1

Frankfurt open looking at an attempt to recover, the second news report on IG as in the daily dashboard post below on Japan seeing receding global risk. The battle of 2 opposing headlines.

UPDATE 4 – BOJ holds fire, nudges up growth f'cast on receding global risks

07:30
  • BOJ keeps interest rate targets, guidance unchanged
  • Board nudges up economic growth forecasts
  • Report says global risks receding somewhat

H1 charts;

image.thumb.png.8611e0acd44ee7c5bc089c81bb4d88ef.png

The problem with a health issues like a SARS outbreak is that it is un-quantifiable...and the markets have been priced for perfection and as we all know perfection does nt happen..

.The big issues for US500 and Dow is FANG begins its reports with Netflix and Apple over the next week....If earnings are nt showing expansion or they miss ...The market will drop hard ....

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Finally!  An excuse for the herd to change direction...

I've still not got involved here. the move to catch was overnight, now on the dax price is mulling around S2 and the weekly chart resistance level (red) so recently broken and the next direction is not clear. need to see a break in either direction.

image.thumb.png.ebf1a6adba0be6b96e8705a0a17c0524.png

• Like 1