Indices

3 hours ago, cheviot said:

There s going to be some WHOPPING BIG margin calls tonight.....every INDX is down and so is every commodity across the world !!  I ca nt remember that happening before....since I started in 1984 ....

The vast majority are shorting the Indices markets to eternity. So at least that side won't trigger as much margin calls, but the rest...... At least we know Mr Nenner can afford a haircut and new ironed shirt soon.

1984? Blimey. You have lived through many of the peaks and troughs.

Increased my short position as of now to 35% allocation. I stand by my "below Dow 28400 end of week close" to signal 27500 region. Could bounce back up a bit before the decline again, hence holding back my funds until market opens.

@dmedinI have been very wrong twice already. Does it give you confidence to go long from here and trade against me on this one??

• Great! 1
11 minutes ago, HPbrand said:

I have been very wrong twice already. Does it give you confidence to go long from here and trade against me on this one??

lol I'm not like that ... I don't generally use other people's opinions as something to trade against.  But as it happens I am back to being long. 

Now yesterday I traded like a pig and needlessly gave up some of my gains in the most stupid, lazy and dumb manner.  I am a complete fool!

• Great! 1
4 hours ago, dmedin said:

lol I'm not like that ... I don't generally use other people's opinions as something to trade against.  But as it happens I am back to being long. 

Now yesterday I traded like a pig and needlessly gave up some of my gains in the most stupid, lazy and dumb manner.  I am a complete fool!

I thought you needed a safe trading idea 😂😂...so just trying to help out!

You were shorting the market yesterday right? How could you gave up some gains??

Edited by HPbrand
17 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Interesting coronavirus stats starting to emerge in that the deaths are mostly in the over 70's age group in both China and Italy. The younger age groups seem to recover quickly and be discharged from hospital within a week.

Some believe OAPs have served their purpose. Lingering around is only a burden to government pension payouts. How convenient this virus helps solve one of society's aging problem.

37 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Back to being short, oh I am so dumb, I am so stupid, I am so hopeless.  :(

what are you using as a directional indicator? a fast and slow ema will generally do it, you will miss the start of any move and give up some at the end but will catch most of the middle.

image.thumb.png.3d97285e2036b5095bca4b3d909bda20.png

4 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

what are you using as a directional indicator?

I was tired and lazy yesterday and overtraded and gave up most of my gains (not all of them).  I thought it was going to be a brief selloff and ended the day long, and went to bed with long positions open.  I'm a silly billy!

Silver tanked yesterday for some reason, and GBP appreciated again - I broke my own rule to avoid GBP until the Chimpanzee gets Brexit done.

Edited by dmedin
6 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

unfortunately the market doesn't care about opinions or predictions that's why watching Elliott wavers is such a hoot

EWP can be made to justify anything because it's an attempt to impose a structure and is entirely subjective.  The Fib extensions (and retracements) are quite useful actually.  EWP is an attempt to try and 'predict' which way price will go.  But the Fib levels seem to work fine as simple S/R.  The Tradeciety ebook you linked to is very good and I doubt anyone really needs to use EWP to be able to trade.

Edited by dmedin
28 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

what are you using as a directional indicator? a fast and slow ema will generally do it, you will miss the start of any move and give up some at the end but will catch most of the middle.

image.thumb.png.3d97285e2036b5095bca4b3d909bda20.png

20 50 200 SMA is best, I also tried 5 20 50 and it's not as reliable.

RSI is the most useful oscillator.

The other **** isn't very useful (ADX, Directional Movement, Stochastics, the hideous MACD, volume, open interest lololol)

1 minute ago, dmedin said:

EWP can be made to justify anything because it's an attempt to impose a structure and is entirely subjective.  The Fib extensions (and retracements) are quite useful actually.  EWP is an attempt to try and 'predict' which way price will go.  But the Fib levels seem to work fine as simple S/R.  The Tradeciety ebook you linked to is very good and I doubt anyone really needs to use EWP to be able to trade.

Fibs are used quite extensively I agree but you always need the price action confirmation, I personally find just looking for that confirmation between 40 and 60% retracement is good enough. Often the Fib 50% is a hit but oh wait, that's not actually a fib number is it.

• Great! 1