Indices

2 minutes ago, AndrewS said:

I'd rather take notice of a 5 hour moving average rather than aa 4 hour candle.

Have you personally been successfully trading on a 15 minute timeframe?  All of us are aware of the power of hindsight ...

When I look at your short time frame chart I just see a major clusterf*k, sorry.

Edited by dmedin
4 hours ago, HPbrand said:

Short the Dow today but don't be too greedy.

buy daily puts!

1 hour ago, Bopperz said:

Chucked in the towel around 3PM yesterday, unwound my FTSE short as the market kept pushing upwards through 7000. I check the charts this morning and everything sold at 4:30PM!

So annoying! 🥵

the benefits of options. takes the emotion out of it.

nicely sets up the trade for the da.y

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Have you personally been successfully trading on a 15 minute timeframe?  All of us are aware of the power of hindsight ...

When I look at your short time frame chart I just see a major clusterf*k, sorry.

I've had 16 consecutive wins trading something similar to Linda Raschke's holy grail.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, AndrewS said:

I've had 16 consecutive wins trading something similar to Linda Raschke's holy grail.

That's great.  :)

Maybe I will develop that skill too one day but I think it's better for me to try and get good at inter-day / swing trading first.

Edited by dmedin

Stocks resumed their plunge, wiping out more than $3 trillion in value this week alone,

Imagine if that $3 trillion had been used to eliminate world poverty, build new hospitals and roads etc instead.  And people ask where the money comes from to pay for universal healthcare.  Well, the same place it comes from to go into rich people's investment portfolios :)

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Imagine if that $3 trillion had been used to eliminate world poverty, build new hospitals and roads etc instead.  And people ask where the money comes from to pay for universal healthcare.  Well, the same place it comes from to go into rich people's investment portfolios :)

but they had gone up $15 trillion before that which is a big reason why world poverty has declined by such a huge amount.

15 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

but they had gone up $15 trillion before that which is a big reason why world poverty has declined by such a huge amount.

Trickling down ...

The playbook at least since Ricardo's time (circa 1800) has been to improve living conditions for workers primarily by increased productivity (translating into cheaper goods) and not by increasing wages (this is called 'inflationary', while capital gains are not).

However, assets like housing and stocks are inflating greatly in value while wages stagnate, thus locking the working population (which is always the vast majority) out of participating in the asset rallies.  As this goes on fewer people will ever be able to afford a home of their own, and few will have enough to save to participate in the stock market.

This is all entirely to plan, and neoliberal economists are taking us back to the heydays of the 19th century.  Heck, working conditions in some parts of the world are even worse than they were in 19th century English manufacturing towns!  Now all we need is to bring back the Empire and re-colonize Africa!

Edited by dmedin
4 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Trickling down ...

The playbook at least since Ricardo's time (circa 1800) has been to improve living conditions for workers primarily by increased productivity (translating into cheaper goods) and not by increasing wages (this is called 'inflationary', while capital gains are not).

However, assets like housing and stocks are inflating greatly in value while wages stagnate, thus locking the working population (which is always the vast majority) out of participating in the asset rallies.  As this goes on fewer people will ever be able to afford a home of their own, and few will have enough to save to participate in the stock market.

This is all entirely to plan, and neoliberal economists are taking us back to the heydays of the 19th century.  Heck, working conditions in some parts of the world are even worse than they were in 19th century English manufacturing towns!  Now all we need is to bring back the Empire and re-colonize Africa!

"Even though the world population increased by more than two billion people between 1990-2015, the number of people in extreme poverty was reduced by almost 1.2 billion."

https://humanprogress.org/article.php?p=1528

Edited by Caseynotes
6 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

"Even though the world population increased by more than two billion people between 1990-2015, the number of people in extreme poverty was reduced by almost 1.2 billion."

https://humanprogress.org/article.php?p=1528

Very true.  I'm sure China featured prominently there, and we all know how well people are treated in China, even as they are lifted out of 'extreme' poverty.

Edited by dmedin
3 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Very true.  I'm sure China featured prominently there, and we all know how well people are treated in China, even as they are lifted out of 'extreme' poverty.

um er yeah most of them preferred living on 50 cents a day which is why they didn't er um did ah take er jobs instead umm ... UP THE REVOLUTION! 🤬 errr 🤔

5 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Trickle down ...Does it work ?  The gap between rich and poor within most countries is becoming wider.....To genuinely reduce poverty we need to pay all a fair living wage....From textile workers in Pakistan to coffee pickers in Ghana....and tax the wealthy much more.....But no government ever gets voted in on that ticket.....Look at Bernie Saunders ...He s getting a beating from the Right wing press....Labour in the UK...

1 hour ago, trade247 said:

the benefits of options. takes the emotion out of it.

nicely sets up the trade for the da.y

If your view is to be short ...sell spot....The problem with options is you are simply paying a premium for vol. price. and delta. 

The best time to make $$$ out of options is when you feel the market is about to turn.....then buy a cheap option out of the money but in your renewed direction....  Vol is too high to find any cheap options in equity IND X s at the moment....

The way I m trying to trade this market is :  at the moment i think the market will rally,,,so I add to my longs as the market drops, but flog them on bounces....i m nett long all the time ...but by 'Churning' my possy ...I live to fight another day....

Why do it this way ?  Because I was sick and tired of being stopped out of all or nothing positions , when I should have been buying  or selling.... 

• Thought provoking 1

What gets me is :  The number of so called money managers who a week ago were telling everybody that the market could nt go down and that they were telling their clients to buy xyz stock, now turn up on business TV claiming that they sold out at the top ...They are full of ****.....They are worse than sheep, and most of them do nt deserve to run their poor clients money,.......How many grannies got stuffed with Apple at $325 into their portfolios...because it 'could nt loose'...... ####>:(

• Great! 1
9 minutes ago, cheviot said:

What gets me is :  The number of so called money managers who a week ago were telling everybody that the market could nt go down and that they were telling their clients to buy xyz stock, now turn up on business TV claiming that they sold out at the top ...They are full of ****.....They are worse than sheep, and most of them do nt deserve to run their poor clients money,.......How many grannies got stuffed with Apple at $325 into their portfolios...because it 'could nt loose'...... ####>:(

The only strategy I can think of that makes sense for the average investor is a drip-feed (e.g. monthly) into a broad-based index-tracker, with possible (relatively small) diversification into some more exotic ETFs (property, gold, whatever) ... buy and sell individual stocks?  Not worth the hassle.  Buy and hold .. by the time you retire, it's more likely your portfolio is worth more than it was at the start :D

43 minutes ago, cheviot said:

The way I m trying to trade this market is :  at the moment i think the market will rally,,,so I add to my longs as the market drops, but flog them on bounces....i m nett long all the time ...but by 'Churning' my possy ...I live to fight another day....

Why do it this way ?  Because I was sick and tired of being stopped out of all or nothing positions , when I should have been buying  or selling.... 

I'm not seeing signs of recovery yet :(

Need to wait to see what happens with the outbreak in America.

• Like 1