Sign in to follow this  

Technical Analysis

A lot of people do not really understand swing trading. In simplistic terms someone who day trades would enter a position at the start of the day and close it by the end of the day. In swing trading a position can be open several days and even a couple of weeks. I personally follow a trend trading perspective. I see swing trading in terms of length of time a position is held as somewhere in between a day trader and a trend trader. It is suggested that large caps are most suited to swing trading. I thing swing traders look to maximise profits in a shorter timescale than say a trend trader and they will also minimise losses as will exit far quicker too.

I think it is important to establish what one is going to swing trade first and the methodology behind how to select the swing trades.

Hi ,  are you sure swing trading is not just about catching the 'swing', no matter the time frame whether it be 1 hour or 1 month, or whether it be based on Elliott wave ABC, or even just 'buy the dip'. As an intraday trader I am always looking for swings, it is the rhythm of the auction.

There are only trend followers (as am I) or reversal (counter trend) traders who are looking at predefined levels for price to reverse at, but trend followers are by far the majority.

The interesting point of the blog was drawing attention to a potential price action signalling to a turn of swing and entry to join a continuation with trend.

The inside bars show indecision similar to a doji but the twin tails show a real attempt to drive to new direction, if that tight tight grouping of price action (in that particular situation) is overwhelmed (by bulls or bears) it is a good indication to the direction of next leg. 

I was happy to post it as I recognised it to have validity based on my own experience and is well worth to experimenting with by traders on all time frames. 

I am only basing my comments on what I have read. Generally speaking 'Swing Traders' would hold a position anywhere from two days to say a couple of weeks. It is rare that a 'Swing Trader' would hold a position for a month, several months or even a year. If there are then these would be in the minority and would be extreme examples.

I can understand as an intraday trader yourself why you would be looking for swings. But intraday traders do have time frames so it does matter.

You can even build a time frame strategy built into your trading plan!

Fair enough, I think essentially we all trade the same way which ever time frame you choose. Investors buy and hold but traders buy and sell and so would aim to buy low and sell high, during a trend that means taking advantage of the down swings in order to ride the upswings but each time frame has it's own rhythm within the large scale swings that can be seen on a monthly chart. The time frame a trader uses depends very much on circumstance and preference.

Counter trend traders are also trying to buy low and sell high by using higher time frames to identify potential turn points that have been used in the past by institutional traders and where unfilled orders may still exist, a large clump of waiting orders on a price ladder is support or resistance.

For any new traders reading, this is an interesting piece on choosing which time frame suits best, 

https://www.tradeciety.com/best-timeframe-trading/

New video explaining the 'outside candle' strategy with reference to the DXY which posted one on the daily chart on Friday.

out1.PNG 

What are people’s thoughts on technicals for ether? How would you attack it? Let’s say on the following timeframes

1 hour

4 hour

Daily

Firstly I would keep a sharp eye on btcusd, the correlation has been noted before on another thread and looking at the two charts side by side that correlation continues, looking at individual large bars btc still leads the way though the gap has narrowed.

The 4 hour is still below the 100 and 200 ordered ma's so the general outlook must be bearish, price is currently retesting a strong support/resistance level so watch for a possible turn around here.

The 1 hour shows price attempting to break up past resistance but still trapped below the 200 ma and also between two mini range blocks so has a lot of work to do yet if it's to continue up.

The general bias must remain bearish at least until a break above 616 but if btc turns down this looks sure to follow.

B&E1day.PNGETHUSD(£)H4.pngETHUSD(£)H1.png

I think you’re right. BTC continues to dominate.

From ETH perspective on the daily you have the 20 EMA moving through both the 50 and 100, and it’s honing in on the 200 real quick. The 50 is basically kissing the 100 as well right now. Not good.

However rsi is sat below 30, and MACD at -80.

On the 1H were about at the spike down back from Feb 6th, retested on 15 Mar so it would be good to break here and get back to the mid 600’s range.

If not I’d settle for the consolidation back in the 800 - 900 range ;)

New video from Tradeciety released today is an overview of TA and pinpoints what you need to be looking for on the chart, what indicators can and can't do, the building blocks of patterns and much more. Well worth the 25 min spent.

Good updated short video on using the stochastic indicator to time pullbacks, and to filter and trigger trades from Rayner Teo published today.

rt2.PNG

Why are these people not making money from trading? Why are they selling education?The only money these people are making is from selling courses on their site.If they can't do it, how can new traders do it?

All these educators failed at trading themselves, due to trading mindsets.No point in trying to  hide the truth.

As usual you don't know what you are talking about, you just sit there guessing and projecting. Because you can't trade and have wasted your time chasing the grail has made you bitter and resentful, that's the real truth.

Hide the truth and sell education. I pity the poor suckers who go to charlatan educators.

You can't even answer that .The only book I recommend to traders  is"death of a snake oil salesman".It is must buy for new traders.

As I said before the real charlatans are the ones pumping those dodgy ea's and strategies .. er, like your ones actually.

Thread locked.

Off topic. 

Personal attacks once again. 

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members

Newest Member
    Katlego
    Joined 08/22/2018 02:53 AM
  • Handpicked content from IG Community

• Trade EOS, Stellar and NEO crypto assets on IG
      We are pleased to announce that since Monday, 20th of August, our clients can trade three new cryptocurrencies on our platform - EOS, Stellar and NEO. Key contributors to the recent launch were IG Community members who participated in a poll and picked which new crypto assets they were most interested in.
      • 0 replies
    • London's house prices - EMEA brief 21 Aug
      Asian stocks generally up on hopes trade tensions may ease, with opes of a China - US trade resolution pushing up copper, often seen as a barometer for the economic outlook, dragging behind it miners such as BHP Billiton and Glencore. Venezuela have debased their currency taking off five zeros, along with increase minimum wage by 3000% in and effort to prop up their economy. Yesterday the world trade organisation confirmed that Turkey had lodged a trade dispute against the US. Gold gains as Trump's remarks weigh on the US dollar, whilst oil edges up on tighter US outlook and Iran sanctions. Finally, see what's going on with London house prices in the IGTV video featured video below.
      • 0 replies
    • Oil prices slip - EMEA brief 20 Aug
      Iran has stressed to OPEC over the weekend that no other member country should take up the slack for reduced oil exports in the face of Trump imposed US sanctions. Oil prices slip on concerns over slowing economic growth. Asia shares inch up with yuan ahead of Sino - US talks, whilst UK ministers are set to release their first ‘no deal’ Brexit documents on Thursday in an effort to prepare for a “worst possible” outcome. Persimmon results are expected tomorrow, with many in the sector looking to the release as a barometer for the wider housing sector and how a rising inflation rate will affect the market.
      • 0 replies