Sign in to follow this  

Find ETFs etc by ISIN or Sedol codes?

Hi how do you find ETFs, Stocks etc by their ISIN or Sedol codes

e.g. 

ISIN: GB0007218398

Sedol: 0721839

are codes for SCHRODER UNIT TST UK OPPS Z ACC NAV 

IG platform doesn't seem to find it by any method.  

Hi - if we offer the market, then you should be able to type in the ISIN and it'll give the appropriate market. For example, GB0002405495 is the ISIN for Schroders PLC and returns the below. 

Unfortunately the SCHRODER UNIT TST UK OPPS Z ACC NAV market you are looking at can't be offered on the IG platform. This is because of the type of fund it is. You maybe able to find a similar but alternative ETF which we can offer on the following webpage: etfscreener.ig.com

2018-03-01 10_11_06-IG Trading Platform _ Spread Betting.png

That's disappointing.  I have lots of ETFs and stocks that I wanted to move over to IG from iii, but if they're not here or your system can't find them then I hope I haven't wasted my time setting up accounts.

Can you elaborate what about 'type' you can't / don't do?

So far it seems nothing is found by ISIN, even if it is on your platform - that seems like a significant miss, because with specific symbols you can be sure you're looking at the right stock/fund - without having to wade through similar ones and hope they way your platform has reproduced the names and abbreviations is the same as other platforms.

Some US stocks are found neither by symbol or ISIN, e.g.

US37954Y8553 LIT.US

US01609W1027 BABA.US

US8336351056 SQM.US

VZ.US

I've tried to find several dozen funds that I hold not of the same 'type' as the one in my first post, but they're are also not found on your platfor, e.g.

B8N44Q8 INVESCO PERPETUAL ASIAN Z GBP UCITS ACC

B5ZNJ90 BLACKROCK GOLD & GENERAL

B5ZX1M7 ARTEMIS GLOBAL INCOME

937175 EDENTREE INVESTMENT MANAGEMENT AMITY UK FUND B INST INC

BD9X6D5 LINK FUND SOLUTIONS LTD LF WOODFORD INCOME FOCUS C STRLING ACC

B0CNH16 LEGAL & GENERALGLOBAL TECHNOLOGY INDEX TRUST(I)ACC

B24HJL4 FIRST STATE INVESTMENTS(UK) GLOBAL LISTED INFRASTRUCTURE B GBP ACC

B3VVG60 SCHRODER UNIT TRUSTS RECOVERY CL Z ACCUMULATION GBP

B5T7PM3 HENDERSON CHINA OPPS I ACC

B51RZC1 FIDELITY FUNDS INDIA FOCUS Y INC NAV

B6TKJR2 FIL INVESTMENT SERVICES(UK)LIMITED GLOBAL PROPERTY Y ACC NAV

B6TKJR2 Fidelity Global Property Fund Y Acc

AXA Framlington Health Z GBP Acc (FUND:B6WZJX0)

etc.

BIOG.L is there but shows all zeros.

Hi - I have just tried to replicate this issue however on my platform the appropriate markets are coming up (as below), however if this isn't working on the stocks front you could still simply type the name such as Alibaba Group.

2018-03-01 15_38_37-IG Trading Platform _ Spread Betting.png

In regards to the funds, we wouldn't be able to accept these as we do not offer OEIC's (open ended investment companies), managed or mutual funds with objectives etc. A simple rule of thumb is the names, with most ending Acc / NAV / Income / Trust, being unable to be traded. These trade very differently from ETF's, and our business model is generally aimed at these electronically managed and matched exchange traded funds which trade throughout the day. There are a few other differences as well...

ETFs Mutual Funds
Trade during trading day Trade at closing NAV
Low operating expenses Operating expenses vary
No investment minimums Most have investment minimums
Tax-efficient Less tax-efficient
No sales loads May have sales load

Finally I have had a look at Biotech Growth Trust, and again, as far as I can see everything seems OK. Please just try using the above method and typing the market name "Biotech Growth Trust PLC". 

Thanks for your message,

"we do not offer OEIC" - really?? Will that be forever? Same for all Unit Trusts?.  I thought IG was aimed at main investment markets?

"I have just tried to replicate this issue"

Have you successfully entered the symbol? I type BABA.US or just BABA andf get "Sorry, no results match your search. Please try again."

Have you successfully entered the ISIN?  I type or cut/paste US01609W1027  and get "Sorry, no results match your search. Please try again."

"you could still simply type the name"

Maybe but shouldn't it come up when I type "Alibaba"?  It doesn't.  This is what I get:

Clipboard01.png

Wouldn't it just be better that you could find the specific stock/fund using the ISIN or Symbol, rather than having to guess what your database calls the stock (xxxx Group/ xxxxx Group Holdings, etc)??

I’ve just tried ISIN, “BABA”, and “alibaba” and all bring up the right thing. Maybe your settings are weird. Where are you in the world? W8ben issues?

Oh also ... that’s a demo looking at the url? Maybe that’s the issue?

I'm in the UK.  My W8ben form went through fine as usual.  I think it is indeed a limitation of your demo platform, which I had been using to test the functionality.

Can you just confirm that you definitely have no plans to support OEIC or Unit Trust transactions?

Ok - the fact this is a demo account is important. If you are on a CFD Demo account then due to the fact the underlying exchanges (e.g. NYSE) charge for data, we are unable to offer access and you won't be able to find the market. If you are on a spread betting account, however, even on demo you'll be able to access and bring up the equity. 

I can confirm that we wouldn't be looking at supporting OEIC or unit trusts in the short to mid term. I shall pass the feedback and request onto the senior management and dev teams, however at the moment I know it isn't on the road map and there are some other priorities for the business. Apologies about this.