Morning Gap Pre-orders

Guest StevieWyn

Guest StevieWyn

Hello Everyone !

Have just started out trading and have a query,

I have been watching stocks with gap ups in the price pre-market due to earnings & news etc then placing a pre-order before the market opens. For example...

Stock A is $5 and has gapped up, place an order at $5.50, market opens up at $6, order filled straight away. close position and a profit taken. This is what i have been testing in demo mode anyway.

My question is, will this work in a live account or will the gap up go straight through my order and will not be filled ??

Please help its driving me nuts !!

Hi - if you have an order to open which is placed whilst the market is closed, and it's triggered on the open, it will be filled at the best available price (assuming all criteria are met). 

For example, say the market is at $5 and you have your stop order placed at 5.50, when the market opens at 6 you will be filled at 6. If you placed a Limit order then you wouldn't be filled, as your order type is basically saying "I do not want to pay more than 5.50 for this stock". 

Don't forget on the US pre market you can give us a call to trade those specific stock before the 14.30 GMT main session open, or trade the 'All Session' equities. 

• 2 years later...
19 hours ago, MJa said:

Why does the demo account behave differently to the live account in the above case?

This has been bothering me as well. 

LIVE - Wall Street (1Pound) - Spread 3.6 - Contracts 0.5 - Margin - 656 pounds

DEMO - Wall Street (1Pound) - Spread 3.6 - Contracts 2 - Margin - 2622 pounds

Is this to force demo traders to see increased profits when the indices moves in their favor - eager to open a LIVE account?

If it moves against them you can easily just "deposit" fake money again.

2 minutes ago, Straddles said:

Is this to force demo traders to see increased profits when the indices moves in their favor - eager to open a LIVE account?

Hi, sorry but don't get the point, demo can't react exactly as live especially on market open or other times of sudden high vol simply because it's not live, it won't show slippage for example.

The margin example above for demo and live looks correct, 0.5 contracts = £656.  2 contracts (0.5 x 4) = £2622.

28 minutes ago, Straddles said:

ok, I see what you are saying now, after the lower 1 month intro minimum the standard minimums are;

for cfd cash £ min is 2 contracts with a margin of £2,623.

for cfd cash $ min is 0.5 contracts with a margin of £1,036.

for spread bet cash £ min is £0.5/point with a margin of £655.

go for the spread bet.

6 minutes ago, Straddles said:

LIVE & Demo (in above example) is on 1 pound Cash.

Even after the first month with the increased margin, the DEMO account is still 4x the LIVE's required margin.

there are 3 separate charts for Wall street cash CFDs (click on the arrow next to the name) Cash £1 and Cash $2 and Cash $10 (live or demo). Each have a different margin requirement but as in my previous post, the Spread Bet £0.5/point has the lowest.

22 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

there are 3 separate charts for Wall street cash CFDs (click on the arrow next to the name) Cash £1 and Cash $2 and Cash $10 (live or demo). Each have a different margin requirement but as in my previous post, the Spread Bet £0.5/point has the lowest.

I know I'm going on about this, but both LIVE & DEMO is on 1 Pound each.

2 minutes ago, Straddles said:

I know I'm going on about this, but both LIVE & DEMO is on 1 Pound each.

On 16/06/2020 at 11:10, Caseynotes said:

for cfd cash £ min is 2 contracts with a margin of £2,623.

for cfd cash $ min is 0.5 contracts with a margin of £1,036.

for spread bet cash £ min is £0.5/point with a margin of £655.

yeah, the cfd cash £1 has a higher margin than the  cfd cash $2 but the spread bet cash £ has the lowest of all.