Sign in to follow this  

PRT feature request - synchronised scrolling for different timeframes and/or instruments

Question

Hi All,

Something that I believe would be a great addition to PRT, would be synchronised scrolling of charts across different timeframes and instruments.

For example:

* If you have daily, hourly, and 15 minute charts open for a specific instrument, it should be possible to click on any price point within any of the charts, and for the other charts to automatically scroll to that point in time. This would make analysis over different timeframes so much quicker and easier.

* This would also be great for scrolling charts based on different instruments. For example, what did the local market do yesterday when the Dow was down? Or, what was the Rand/Dollar doing while the market was coming down? What was equity 1 doing while equity 2 was going up two weeks ago? I know you can setup "compared securities" on a single chart, but that is not what I am talking about. What I am refering to is being able to pick a chart and then click on a specific point in time, and for all other (participating) charts to scroll to the same date & time; irrespective of the timeframe or instrument being displayed on the chart.

Does this make sense?
Anyone else see value in this?

PS: The option could/would probaby be set set per chart (whether it should scroll or not); similar to how linking works currently.

PSS: Currently this is so much of a pain, that I would in fact change charting packages just for this feature.

Regards

Stef

4 answers to this question

Hi Stef,

I could definitely see the benefit of such an option when working with multiple tiled charts on a screen though I have never seen it anywhere on other platforms, even the PRT premium version doesn't seem to do this (going by the manual). I must admit though I couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to write to code to make it happen.

Hi ,

Thanks for the great idea! 

I can see the value in what you are talking about as it would be good to have this facility if you are looking at say how an indicator would perform on different timeframes or even for price action and candlestick analysis. This would mean you would not have to constantly change timeframe when doing regressive analysis. 

I have passed that on to the guys at ProRealTime and I hope we could see that in the future. 

Do let me know where you get the inspiration from as the ideas you have given for how to improve ProRealTime have been top quality.

Please do keep it up! 

Hi ,

My own ideas - things I try to do on a daily basis and struggle with.

I really do hope that some of these features can be implemented. The platform(s) could be so much more powerful - in a lot of cases, without a huge development effort.

Thanks I will let you know.

Regards

Stef

you would be suprised.

Here are some (either as part of the official software, or done as user extensions):

- MarketDelta http://support.marketdelta.com/entries/20995181-Synchronized-Scrolling-of-Multiple-Charts-Windows-Multi-Link-Scrolling-Time-Synchronization-

- NinjaTrader (Rainbow) http://rainbow-in.com/feature/synchronized-scrolling/

- MetaTrader 5 (Expert Advisor) https://www.mql5.com/en/forum/3032

- Investor/RT https://www.linnsoft.com/support/multi-linking-multi-link-scrolling-multi-link-time-sync

- NetTradeX http://www.ifcmarkets.com/en/platforms/charts-synchronized-review

- TradeStation http://www.researchtrade.com/forum/read.php?7,2954

- Amibroker

..and many others.

Regards

Stef