ProRealTime partial position close

onlythebrave85

Question

Good afternoon, 

On ProRealTime I cannot close part of my position at market. 

For exampled I opened a short position in the DAX and when my target was hit I wanted to close 1 at market; when I pressed buy 1 instead of closing one of the 2 short positions it opened 1 long position. 

Live chat advisor recommended I change the settings under Manual trading/ At Market order/ Force open in PRT. I have tried having force open Enabled, Disabled and Auto and I still cannot close part of my position at market. 

On the IG main page under settings under "Show force open in ticket", Net off is enabled. 

Someone recommended I execute my orders on the IG platform but this defeats the purpose of using PRT.

Is there any way to close part of an open position at market with PRT?

Many thanks

13 answers to this question

Guest WillA

Hi @onlythebrave85 @Vishal

You must have Force open set to Disabled in Options to be able to net off in opposite direction:

2127644002_Tradingoptions.png.4602d784e164e334d7ed7abb2439a287.png

It will still force open if you attach a stop/limit when trying to close by going in the opposite direction, as it assumes you want this as a new position given a stop/limit has been set.

PRT does not have the functionality to partially close a trade without needing to trade in opposite direction (like our web platform does).

If you understand this and still think it is not working, please send details of the trades to helpdesk.uk@ig.com so we can have a closer look at these trades on your accounts.

Thanks,

Will

13 minutes ago, WillA said:

Hi @onlythebrave85 @Vishal

You must have Force open set to Disabled in Options to be able to net off in opposite direction:

2127644002_Tradingoptions.png.4602d784e164e334d7ed7abb2439a287.png

It will still force open if you attach a stop/limit when trying to close by going in the opposite direction, as it assumes you want this as a new position given a stop/limit has been set.

PRT does not have the functionality to partially close a trade without needing to trade in opposite direction (like our web platform does).

If you understand this and still think it is not working, please send details of the trades to helpdesk.uk@ig.com so we can have a closer look at these trades on your accounts.

Thanks,

Will

"it will still force open if you attach a stop/limit when trying to close by going in the opposite direction, as it assumes you want this as a new position given a stop/limit has been set."

This  i didnt know, maybe this info should be included in the manual? (or is it and ive missed it?)

56 minutes ago, PandaFace said:

Potentially @Kodiak but then why even add a stop limit AT ALL if you think it’s going to net off? For me that thought doesn’t flow.

I sometimes use "associate order to alert" 

if you are long and also have a stop and maybe a limit on that position and then create an alert with order to close that position if for example price cross under some indicator or something else

then if the first position reach the limit (or stop) then you have a waiting sell (sell short) order and maybe want a stoploss on that one if get trigged

but maybe i am the only one using this feature?

i use it sometimes with tick-charts that dont work with proorder and if i want instant execution and not wait for the bar to close

popup-features-10-3-2_c1476112324c.png

Guest MichaelY
17 hours ago, Kodiak said:

I sometimes use "associate order to alert" 

if you are long and also have a stop and maybe a limit on that position and then create an alert with order to close that position if for example price cross under some indicator or something else

then if the first position reach the limit (or stop) then you have a waiting sell (sell short) order and maybe want a stoploss on that one if get trigged

but maybe i am the only one using this feature?

i use it sometimes with tick-charts that dont work with proorder and if i want instant execution and not wait for the bar to close

popup-features-10-3-2_c1476112324c.png

Really important to take note that when you associate the order to an alert, the PRT platform must be turned on in order for it to be triggered.

"Really important to take note that when you associate the order to an alert, the PRT platform must be turned on in order for it to be triggered."

yes, and maybe adjust some settings in the "power saving" 

but after the trade is open the stop and limit/tp is on the server

Guest Shujat

Hello Will,

I saw the update to ProRealtime which states that "Partial close of positions is now available in manual and automated trading through ProRealTime." However, I still get the usual error when trying to execute a partial close through automated trading i.e. "Trading systems with orders that partially close a position cannot be sent to ProOrder..."

Do you know why this is? 

Many thanks

Archived