Sign in to follow this  
TrendFollower

Bitcoin Price After Syria Military Action

Many will call it a coincidence, but when one has seen such patterns over the course of the last several years then it becomes a trend that one begins to anticipate. Just take a look at the Trump and North Korea rhetoric as a more recent example.

The bitcoin price went up after the news was released of the military air strikes against Syria. Even if this was a mere coincidence which it could have been, it does begin to highlight the idea that bitcoin could be one of the best hedges yet against economic and political turmoil. 

During such action do you think the Russians and Chinese are going to stick their money in gold which is something that can be manipulated or bitcoin?

I think the true test to really ascertain if bitcoin is really becoming the new digital gold is to see by how much gold and bitcoin increased during the build up to the military strike in Syria and then by how much did they both increase once the military action in Syria was announced by the media.

The answer is that bitcoin outperformed gold on both accounts. On this basis how can one even suggest that gold is a better hedge or a more efficient safe haven than bitcoin during current times. I accept gold has been a better safe haven during historical periods, that is unquestionable. I think going forwards something really exciting is happening which means that bitcoin is merely attempting to become digital gold v 2.0. 

Causality with bitcoin price movements is problematic as it has been so extremely volatile though there has been comment on bitcoins association with safe haven status in the past, I posted this link back in November;

The 30 min spike during the week had the hallmark of a large buyer pushing price past resistance and then algos and other traders piling in briefly whereas mounting concern of an international situation develops over hours and days as more and more people seek to hedge.

US, China and Russia are 3 of the top 6 holders of gold, they already have that hedge, imagine what would happen to the price of both if they decided to switch their holdings from one to the other in the future, those astronomic predictions for bitcoin would be dwarfed.

bc1.PNG

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Getting Started

Please make sure that you have had a quick look at our Community Guidelines before you start posting.

You can also check out the following tutorials to get up and running as quickly as possible. 

1. How do I start a new topic?
    2. How do I ask a question?
    3. How do I search Community?
    4. How do I access via mobile?
    5. What does 'following' content mean?
  • Handpicked content from IG Community

• Comcast / Disney bidding war ends - EMEA brief 20th July
      The Comcast / Disney bidding war for 21st Century Fox ended yesterday with the former pulling out of the race. Comcast have stated they are still planning on pursuing Sky. Asian equity markets pushed higher overnight over a volatile trading session as the Chinese yuan bounced off a one year low. Trump showed displeasure towards the Fed's hikes, criticising policy and highlighting concerns on the potential impact of rising interest rates on the US economy causing the Dollar to sag.

The losses seen in some of the Asian markets are expected to continue in Europe, with small drops for indices expected. Canadian CPI is the sole macro point of interest, while on the earnings front General Electric and Schlumberger report figures. The US dollar will also be in focus after President Trump commented that further rate increases could derail the economic boom in the US.
      • 0 replies
    • Market Screening for Dividend Opportunities
      This article will also look at IGs market screening tool and attempt to come up with some ideas the stocks that could be bought on the basis of the dividend they offer. It seems a good time to at least begin starting to look at stocks that pay a good dividends (begin creating a Watchlist maybe?)  but crucially stocks that also seem capable of continuing to pay that dividend.

The reason for this article is the markets have been a bit turbulent lately: there are various geopolitical events on the horizon (which could trigger panic in the market) but also because with stocks trading near all-time highs it may be more prudent to look for stocks that pay in income (dividend) rather than stocks for future the growth potential. And lastly the previous stock market crash was 10 years ago. That in itself is not a sign of doom, but history repeats, eventually. 😉
        • Great!
      • 5 replies