Sign in to follow this  

Account Equity Alerts

A great feature to mitigate the risk of catastrophic loss would be alerts linked to your account equity. 

Alerts could be triggered by a percentage change in account equity from the previous close or the breach of an absolute monetary amount.  This would be a great additional warning to combine with price alerts to give a client more peace of mind.

No one wants to see a repeat of the mess surrounding the removal of the peg on EURCHF by the SNB a few years back.

I believe ESMA would look favourably on something of this nature

Is this something in the pipeline?

What use is it, if you are still responsible for all losses to IG, if stops can't be filled?Presume you use stops?

(apadhani) Just another line of defence for risk mitigation

(PandaFace) Yes but that would occur later than I need for my peace of mind

Fair. I can imagine it wouldn’t be too difficult to add they just need to copy whatever alert is there for when you’re about to get margin called and change the percentage to ‘x’ and add a few options.

You can manually do this with an alert I guess on your positions but like you said that’s not a top level acc view.

Good suggestion.

The flaws of the human mind in trading, loss aversion techniques for those not ready to accept loss of risk.Can you not take some advice from gurus and educators, they keep singing to noobs  "fear and emotions can be controlled, fear of losses" or train your mind for dealing with uncertainty, instead of new alerts?

When I put my money in IG , it is going to be lost, it is my gambling money, it will not change my life I lose.I fear nothing.I accepted my risk and am comfortable with it.

(apadhani) I absolutely accept losses, the known unknowns.  It's the unknown unknowns or black swans that I am trying to mitigate.  

My experience has taught me that traders come in many different varieties, all with their own methodologies and I recognise that different tools will suit different trading styles.  If my proposed alert isn't for you, fair enough but I know it would help me.

thanks all for the discussion. I will pass this onto our platforms and alerts team as feedback. If anyone else has anything to add please feel free to do so and I'll include it :) 

Thanks James

This would really help me out.  Especially if it arrived before the ESMA rule change :smileywink:

Alert:Position closed out ESMA  margin rule   ?????????????