TA - Technical Analysis

• 2 weeks later...

Swap Zones , a battle between buyers and sellers sometimes happen halfway on a trend . If you see one developing , put your fib on , so the zone is @ the 50% level & then look for price to extend to 100%  . Please note , as usual, this is NOT guaranteed, but useful to look out for.    Here's one that just happened

Capture qq.PNG

This is an excellent piece by CryptoCred where he writes about those who have influenced his trading style. He explains exactly what core principles he has gained from each and how those principles have been incorporated into his own actual trading.

This is real core 'need to know' on actual trading from real traders rather than the woolly type of stuff you get from the usual crop of educators and chart technicians.

As mentioned in the piece these guys also have many hours of online videos you can look up to get a fuller understanding of the concepts contained within the article.

https://medium.com/@cryptocreddy/lessons-from-my-trading-teachers-77b4ca13cf83

image.png.429f7b3af75358f4ca8e3b693c77cf2c.png

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting short article from Steve Burns on using moving averages.   

Moving averages allow traders the ability to quantify trends and act as signals for entries, exits, and trailing stops. They can become support and resistance, and give the trader levels to trade around. Below are examples of the specific moving averages with time frames.

• 5 Day EMA: Measures the short term time frame. This is support in the strongest up trends. This line can only be used in low volatility trends.
  • 10 day EMA: “The 10 day exponential moving average (EMA) is my favorite indicator to determine the major trend. I call this ‘red light, green light’ because it is imperative in trading to remain on the correct side of a moving average to give yourself the best probability of success. When you are trading above the 10 day, you have the green light, and you should be thinking buy. Conversely, trading below the average is a red light. The market is in a negative mode, and you should be thinking sell.” – Marty Schwartz
  • 21 day EMA: This is the intermediate term moving average. It is generally the last line of support in a volatile up trend.
  • 50 day SMA: This is the line that strong leading stocks typically pull back to. This is usually the support level for strong up trends. Use 50-Day Average For Trading Signals
  • 100 day SMA: This is the line that provides the support between the 50 day and the 200 day. If it does not hold as support, the 200 day generally is the next stop.
  • 200 day SMA: Bulls like to buy dips above the 200-day moving average, while bears sell rallies short below it. Bears usually win and sell into rallies below this line as the 200 day becomes resistance, and bulls buy into deep pullbacks to the 200 day when the price is above it. This line is one of the biggest signals in the market telling you which side to be on. Bull above, Bear below. Bad things happen to stocks and markets when this line is lost.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

@TrendFollower your comments would indicate that once again on this thread you are making comment on something you have not bothered to take the time to even look at let alone study.

The text of the video explicitly describes the use of supply and demand by institutional traders, how they use it and why they use it. None of this is new to me, I have known this for years and so I have forwarded the video for others to consider and use as they see fit. It is a fact that institutional traders stack orders at certain levels to build positions over months, they do not chase price but wait for price to return to the level to continue to fill their orders. 

The majority of retail traders do not use supply and demand but rather are hooked on lagging oscillator indicators which pretty much guarantees they are the late dumb money. And so yes, retail traders should do something different and that is to copy institutional traders.

No one should presume anything but here is an example of exactly how 'a previous price level provided a trading opportunity'  2 in fact, on the daily chart over the course of 2 months.

image.thumb.png.d5a6926b7af063140a9e327a41bb874f.png

@TrendFollower,  if you want to debate something it pays to take the time to look at the case being put forward before refuting it. Firing off a reply to a post in a thread attacking what is just your own vague notion of what may have been said is neither professional nor polite.

Copying institutional traders and market movers can be done by looking at supply and demand levels, if you want to learn more I suggest you take a look at the video.

@TrendFollower. You reply to a post you could not even be bothered to look into while pretending it is all in the name of debate. You have not asked any valid questions because you are unable to make any reference to the subject matter contained within the post you were replying to. In your post of 'questions' you have at least 5 sentences finishing with a question mark none of which could be considered relevant because you clearly hadn't actually watched the video in the first place. You are not therefore adding to any debate or understanding as nothing you print has any context with the actual subject matter I posted. 

@TrendFollower, you have not challenged what I have posted because you have not referred to the actual presented subject matter at all.

For the third time, your questions are irreverent because you will not relate them to the subject matter, you would not even be asking them if you had bothered to view and consider the subject matter. The video explains exactly how you can copy institutional traders, you either ignore that or astonishingly still haven't bothered to view it.

Your generalised uninformed waffling while refusing to view or consider and relate anything to the presented subject matter is simply a waste of everyone's time, without any relevant context to the post you are replying to leaves me with nothing to answer.

@TrendFollower, your every post has implied I can't or won't answer your oh so virtuous questions. I keep throwing back to you that if you can't even be bothered to look at what I'm posting then your questions are not worth answering.

You have challenged nothing, all you have done is sought to undermine a basic principle with absolutely no evidential input of your own. Debate is not 'I'll ignore everything you say while I critique it'. You have offered nothing to this 'debate' while clearly seeking to derail the thread.

You have totally wasted my time by arrogantly not even bothering to view that which you have been repeatedly disparaging. I know exactly where you can stick your 'thumbs up'.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I do often wonder why so many traders seem to spend more time on developing and selling courseware, speeches/seminars/coaching etc than they do on actual trading.

I'm a big fan of TA but I always have the thought at the back of my mind, 'How much of this is snake oil ...'

Edited by dmedin
2 hours ago, dmedin said:

I'm a big fan of TA but I always have the thought at the back of my mind, 'How much of this is snake oil ...'

I would divide educators into sectors.

Some provide trading study guides which tend to be similar in content but vary in the level of importance attached to each component and also vary in their general ability to be understood.

Some proved lessons in chart reading such as how to draw up a charts, levels and trendlines, identifying structure etc.

And some advocate indicators, some of which are important and some are not depending on your own trading style.

It's a case of horses for courses in choosing what may be relevant to your own trading style so if considering paying for any material it would be worth considering first if the educator's style suited your own ideas on trading. Certainly I've never included any 'pay for' courses in this thread unless they are being offered free for a limited period.

For your true snake oil salesmen you should look to instagram for signal sellers, they are easy to spot because their posts will contain pics of;

the hired for the day Lambo, stacks of cash (fake, bought in bulk on ebay), magnificent home lifted from a travel brochure, replica Ferrari key fobs (also from ebay), charts of winning trades selected from either the demo where they went long or the other demo where they went short at the same time.

• Thanks 1