TA - Technical Analysis

@Caseynotes,

For hopefully the last time. I tried desperately hard to finish this discussion on the last post as you can see how I ended it. Let it go as they sing in Frozen. 😀 Relax and take a chill pill. Do not get too serious. I am not trying to hijack anything so please refrain from making any such accusations.

Let us end this discussion and leave on a positive note. Life is too short and there simply is not enough time. Be happy and do not take things seriously or personally. It really is ok to have differing views. If your views are right and mine are wrong then that is fine. I shall accept that. This should be music to your auribus. 

One can all but hope this is the 'ultimum spes' on this matter.

Have a good evening. 👍 No hard feelings. One needs to be challenged as otherwise the IG Community will just be the Caseynotes show and the majority of posts will contain Caseynotes views. There will be no alternative for others in the IG Community. I provide an alternative which is totally different to you. This is extremely healthy for the IG Community. If I am wrong then fine. Let the results of potential trades determine that rather than words, links, videos, etc. 

@TrendFollower, your every post has implied I can't or won't answer your oh so virtuous questions. I keep throwing back to you that if you can't even be bothered to look at what I'm posting then your questions are not worth answering.

You have challenged nothing, all you have done is sought to undermine a basic principle with absolutely no evidential input of your own. Debate is not 'I'll ignore everything you say while I critique it'. You have offered nothing to this 'debate' while clearly seeking to derail the thread.

You have totally wasted my time by arrogantly not even bothering to view that which you have been repeatedly disparaging. I know exactly where you can stick your 'thumbs up'.

@Caseynotes,

You do not always have to have the last word. I watched the video last night but I really want to end this discussion between us because I do not want it to get unprofessional or personal. I have asked some questions that is all without watching your video. Is it really that much of a big deal or crime. Some of us are very busy and do not have the level of time you do on IG Community.

I have seen you spend lots of time with others and I have seen you provide lots of answers so I don't quite understand the issue here. I am not undermining anything. I am merely asking some questions. I have just asked some questions in my opinion very politely and professionally. I wanted your perspective but you have really taken it, I am guessing personally. I am not trying to derail any thread. You have seeked an argument with me rather than spend time discussing my questions which is your choice. Had you offered your personal perspective on my questions then you would not have participated in derailing your own thread. You have chosen to participate in wasting your own time so please do not accuse me of doing so. 

You last line is just plain rude and offensive. There is no need for that type of statement. May I please offer a hand shake and move on from this. 🤝 Remember you can choose not to respond to this or accept my gesture of a e-handshake and end this. You do not have to respond provocatively or respond in a way which belittles someone. That is your personal choice. I hope you can put an end to this. 

Being of Indian Origin - Om Shanti Shanti Shanti

Good video from David Jones (ex IG chief analyst) published just today.

How to Trade Using Support and Resistance Levels (Part 1)

... email address and agree to receive promotional material is all that's needed, once enrolled can take as long as you want to complete the course. 

image.thumb.png.caf3cdf2afebeeb75292a4751d3d3be0.png

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I do often wonder why so many traders seem to spend more time on developing and selling courseware, speeches/seminars/coaching etc than they do on actual trading.

I'm a big fan of TA but I always have the thought at the back of my mind, 'How much of this is snake oil ...'

Edited by dmedin

2 hours ago, dmedin said:

I'm a big fan of TA but I always have the thought at the back of my mind, 'How much of this is snake oil ...'

I would divide educators into sectors.

Some provide trading study guides which tend to be similar in content but vary in the level of importance attached to each component and also vary in their general ability to be understood.

Some proved lessons in chart reading such as how to draw up a charts, levels and trendlines, identifying structure etc.

And some advocate indicators, some of which are important and some are not depending on your own trading style.

It's a case of horses for courses in choosing what may be relevant to your own trading style so if considering paying for any material it would be worth considering first if the educator's style suited your own ideas on trading. Certainly I've never included any 'pay for' courses in this thread unless they are being offered free for a limited period.

For your true snake oil salesmen you should look to instagram for signal sellers, they are easy to spot because their posts will contain pics of;

the hired for the day Lambo, stacks of cash (fake, bought in bulk on ebay), magnificent home lifted from a travel brochure, replica Ferrari key fobs (also from ebay), charts of winning trades selected from either the demo where they went long or the other demo where they went short at the same time.

• Thanks 1

A graphic showing the new trader's natural progression though the technical indicator listings;

image.png.35afdb3cffb2e467adcd6d4079606e17.png

• Great! 1

New CryptoCred video on Entry Triggers;

Published 6th May

Hr 1:10.

A couple of charts showing how to play large time frame head and shoulders patterns with breakout levels, measured move targets and MA confirmations by Aksel Kibar.

(he is using a 200 day moving average which equates to the 40 week MA on these weekly charts)

image.thumb.png.e9d1cf83ff54b1d3df69c93dd3bb49fe.png 

• Like 1

Steve Nison's book 'Japanese candlestick charting techniques' is really great if you like to have a printed copy in front of you, nice and easy to read and follow. 

In Murphy's book he recommends to use Directional Movement with Parabolic SAR, rather than PSAR on its own.  In this way it works as a filter (don't buy if -DA > +DA and vice versa; a new trend is kicking in when ADX rises above 25 and trend weakening when ADX falls below 40)

Is that still done these days?  All this new stuff is hard to keep up with :)

'new stuff'?  both adx and psar are quite laggy, would probably be better off with something leading like Stoch then  confirmed by something laggy (less twichy) like adx or psar.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 27/05/2019 at 15:33, elle said:

lots of TA stuff in loads of videos  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKJrIKs2GPZOoICuyLUM1_g

So I actually tried watching some of his videos, like everybody else these days he talks at a thousand words a minute, I can barely keep up and yes if you want the real details you need to subscribe and it costs.  OKAY FINE I understand that nobody in their right mind gives away the 'good stuff' for free ...

For example he shows where a downtrend breaks but says something about waiting for the new pivot blah blah blah and then concludes that it didn't really break the downtrend at all. 

I guess I need to learn what these pivot points are then.

Edited by dmedin

14 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

'new stuff'?  both adx and psar are quite laggy, would probably be better off with something leading like Stoch then  confirmed by something laggy (less twichy) like adx or psar.

Murphy's book is fantastic but old (last updated in in 1999).  He only covers certain topics with passing remarks in a few paragraphs, in particular pivot points and day trading.  All this 'new stuff' is people telling you how to day trade using pivot points and other innovations that his book specifically doesn't go into.  I actually prefer zooming out to take a longer term view and not being too fancy, but then again, I'm not a profitable trader.

His chapter on 'automated systems' covers the PSAR and ADX combination.  It isn't very good, from what I can tell.  But it's better than using PSAR on its own, because it whipsaws like crazy.

2 hours ago, dmedin said:

I guess I need to learn what these pivot points are then.

Pivot points are just a calc based on the previous day's OHLC but more to the point they are just like Fibs and everything else, they only work if the big boys are using them. Over time I've found support and resistance and pivots work more often than anything else and that can only be because more large scale traders are also using them.

One reason is because they are basic, simple, old and established, handed down mentor to pupil. All indicators 'work' but how well they work will depend on how many traders are actually using them to provide signals that they react to and so leave a price action foot print on the chart.

• Like 1