Sign in to follow this  

Guaranteed Stop & Margin Call

Hi all, 

Newbie here, I understand the concept of leverage and margin pretty well but not sure how the latter works when there is a guaranteed stops in place.

As an example, say I deposited e1,000 into my account and I want to go long on a single name stock using spread betting. I am prepared to risk losing the e1,000 but no more. Share price is e200.00. I set a guaranteed stop at 180.00 (i.e 10% below) and therefore buy 50 units. Say the margin requirement is also 10% so I will also have initial margin requirement of 1,000 (plus the guaranteed premium but lets assume thats 0 for now to keep it easy). 

Does that fact that I have a GS in place that ensures my losses are equal to or less than the money in my account mean that I will not be subjected to margin calls? Intuitively I feel like it should but from reading some other posts it seems like that I still would. 

If the share price dropped 5% I will obviously have an unrealised loss of e500 but will i also have a margin call given that my 'equity' position is now down to 500e and the new margin requirement is 1,450 (50 * 190 + 500) ? In fact in this scenario even a 1% drop triggers a situation where my equity is less than the new margin... If this is the case, is there a more efficient way of limiting my 'risk' and capital injection to 1,000 while maximising potential upside? 

Thanks in advance

So I don’t have a pen and paper in front of me and I’m on mobile, but I think that yes you are correct.

A new rule which focuses on the leverage rather than the maximum financial loss has come in a year or so ago. That means that your guaranteed stop won’t reduce the margin (and thus increase the leverage), but you still have your maximum financial loss safeguarded.

So if the margin is 10% and so is your guaranteed stop distance then you’re going to be using all your funds as margin, so a 500 Euro unrealised loss would as you said put you on margin call.

On mobile and don’t have excel to figure out the exact number but you wouldn’t need double the amount of funds would ya to cover yourself? You’d be on margin call after that 5% drop, but if you had an extra 500 deposited you’d be able to cover for more... it’s not a linear progression down is it? More diminishing. Maybe I’m wrong.

Second question if you have an account where you’re forced guaranteed stops on all positions, should the margin call even ever be applied, because there’s no way to lose more on your account that you have locked up, so the above rules should just be void.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members

Newest Member
    Katlego
    Joined 08/22/2018 02:53 AM
  • Handpicked content from IG Community

• Trade EOS, Stellar and NEO crypto assets on IG
      We are pleased to announce that since Monday, 20th of August, our clients can trade three new cryptocurrencies on our platform - EOS, Stellar and NEO. Key contributors to the recent launch were IG Community members who participated in a poll and picked which new crypto assets they were most interested in.
      • 0 replies
    • London's house prices - EMEA brief 21 Aug
      Asian stocks generally up on hopes trade tensions may ease, with opes of a China - US trade resolution pushing up copper, often seen as a barometer for the economic outlook, dragging behind it miners such as BHP Billiton and Glencore. Venezuela have debased their currency taking off five zeros, along with increase minimum wage by 3000% in and effort to prop up their economy. Yesterday the world trade organisation confirmed that Turkey had lodged a trade dispute against the US. Gold gains as Trump's remarks weigh on the US dollar, whilst oil edges up on tighter US outlook and Iran sanctions. Finally, see what's going on with London house prices in the IGTV video featured video below.
      • 0 replies
    • Oil prices slip - EMEA brief 20 Aug
      Iran has stressed to OPEC over the weekend that no other member country should take up the slack for reduced oil exports in the face of Trump imposed US sanctions. Oil prices slip on concerns over slowing economic growth. Asia shares inch up with yuan ahead of Sino - US talks, whilst UK ministers are set to release their first ‘no deal’ Brexit documents on Thursday in an effort to prepare for a “worst possible” outcome. Persimmon results are expected tomorrow, with many in the sector looking to the release as a barometer for the wider housing sector and how a rising inflation rate will affect the market.
      • 0 replies