Jump to content

ESMA and 50% margin close out rule


Recommended Posts

James, or anyone else at IG,

I'm not clear about the "slightly amended 50% margin close out rule" that is mentioned in the letter that came from IG . Could you give us an example of what it will mean? For example, suppose I have £5,000 in the account and have just one position open and that requires £300 margin. If the position moves £150 (half the margin requirement) against me, will I be closed out? It seems quite mad (but then so does a lot of ESMA).

Thanks!

Cate

Link to comment
3 hours ago, cate said:

James, or anyone else at IG,

I'm not clear about the "slightly amended 50% margin close out rule" that is mentioned in the letter that came from IG . Could you give us an example of what it will mean? For example, suppose I have £5,000 in the account and have just one position open and that requires £300 margin. If the position moves £150 (half the margin requirement) against me, will I be closed out? It seems quite mad (but then so does a lot of ESMA).

Thanks!

Cate

I think in this case you can have a loss of 4849 before they close anything, you still have 151 free margin?

but not sure

Link to comment

Hey all. You can see our page on Spread Betting and CFD margin under ESMA here. 

If you had a £5000 starting balance and opened a position with a margin of £300 the following would happen.

At a loss of £4701 (99%) we would aim to send you a notification email.
At a loss of £4775 (75%) we would aim to send you another notification email.
At a loss of £4850 (50% margin, i.e. the market has moved against you and your loss is equal to your spare cash you had on the account, plus half the margin) we would start to close positions.
Your account would be left with £150 (50% of the initial margin used to open the position).

Link to comment

What in a case of a guaranteed stop where the capital equals the margin for the guaranteed stop?
Will the position be closed at 50% between entering the position and the garanteed stop?
As normally one would not get a margin call in that case.
In case of Cryptocurrencies (50% margin) that would mean that you would have to put 100% down if your whole account would be commited to one trade, right?

Thanks in advance

Link to comment
Guest FCapital

How does it work with leveraged accounts activated with collateral? 

I found this statement from your website: " If you are using the contents of your share portfolio as collateral to cover your margin requirements in your leveraged account then we can allow equity to drop to -50% of your collateral level before we start closing positions. We can’t guarantee that level, though, so you may find positions are closed before or after your equity reaches -50%." 

This is pretty vague, so can you explain a bit more about it with an example?  

 

 

Link to comment
On 7/10/2018 at 11:51 AM, Guest Mark said:

What in a case of a guaranteed stop where the capital equals the margin for the guaranteed stop?
Will the position be closed at 50% between entering the position and the garanteed stop?
As normally one would not get a margin call in that case.
In case of Cryptocurrencies (50% margin) that would mean that you would have to put 100% down if your whole account would be commited to one trade, right?

Thanks in advance

A guaranteed stop means that we guarantee to take you out of a particular trade at a particular level if the market gaps over it. It doesn't guarantee that you will be able to hold the trade to that level. Once your losses are at 50% margin then we will look to close our your position basis the new ESMA rules.

 

Link to comment
12 minutes ago, Guest FCapital said:

How does it work with leveraged accounts activated with collateral? 

I found this statement from your website: " If you are using the contents of your share portfolio as collateral to cover your margin requirements in your leveraged account then we can allow equity to drop to -50% of your collateral level before we start closing positions. We can’t guarantee that level, though, so you may find positions are closed before or after your equity reaches -50%." 

This is pretty vague, so can you explain a bit more about it with an example? 

Going forwards we won't have collateral linked accounts for non-professional clients under the ESMA umbrella. If you have a professional IG account (or are outside the region) you are exempt from this.

From a collateral point of view on a professional account, then the margin basically works the same way, however it is simply used on the margin side of things. You can see a greater run down example here.

 

Link to comment
  • 2 months later...
Guest Malcom Pat

Hi there, I just wanted clarify how this would work for a very different type of case to those mentioned above.

Assuming i have £200 in cash in my account, and were to place it all into a trade position worth £1000, say for eg a spread bet on 1 share worth £1000.

Am I right in saying that, given that ALL the equity in my account is tied into the 1 trade, ie no other cash balance, that you obviously wouldnt let the share price drop to 600 as I would then be at minus 200 equity.

In that situation, at what share price would the trade be automatically closed out at?

Link to comment
Guest Arruda, C
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:03, JamesIG said:

Hey all. You can see our page on Spread Betting and CFD margin under ESMA here. 

If you had a £5000 starting balance and opened a position with a margin of £300 the following would happen.

At a loss of £4701 (99%) we would aim to send you a notification email.
At a loss of £4775 (75%) we would aim to send you another notification email.
At a loss of £4850 (50% margin, i.e. the market has moved against you and your loss is equal to your spare cash you had on the account, plus half the margin) we would start to close positions.
Your account would be left with £150 (50% of the initial margin used to open the position).

Hey all.

Unless I'm missing something here, where does it 99% comes into play and on what? 99% of £300 is £297 but we're seeing £4,701! Or even 99% of £4,700 "remaining equity" is £4,653! So, I'm at a loss on how £4,701 was calculated.

I can see how the £4,775 and £4,850 was achieved but the same logic doesn't apply to the £4,701 value. From what I can see, with the new rules basically one looses all their remaining equity plus up to 50% of it's required margin.

I'd appreciate some clarity on this please.

Thank you.

Carlos 

Link to comment
10 hours ago, Guest Arruda, C said:

Hey all.

Unless I'm missing something here, where does it 99% comes into play and on what? 99% of £300 is £297 but we're seeing £4,701! Or even 99% of £4,700 "remaining equity" is £4,653! So, I'm at a loss on how £4,701 was calculated.

I can see how the £4,775 and £4,850 was achieved but the same logic doesn't apply to the £4,701 value. From what I can see, with the new rules basically one loses all their remaining equity plus up to 50% of it's required margin

You are absolutely right on this one. I was too lax in my explanation when discussing mathematical examples which obviously given the example and use of figures I shouldn't have been. The 99% actually refers to 99.99% of the £300. In other words, as soon as the initial £300 margin  starts to get 'eaten' into (and not necessarily by a whole pound either). In the examples I rounded to the nearest percentage and nearest whole pound sterling. 

I won't edit the original example as this wouldn't give transparency to the remaining thread, but hopefully this clarifies. 

 

Link to comment
Guest RichB-Trader
On 04/07/2018 at 20:45, Kodiak said:

Would it be possible (probably not?) to use the new "ESMA settings" on demo account starting now to get used to and try out the new settings?

 

 

Hello,

 

When the ESMA kicked in the margin rates seemed to change, is this correct. i.e if I move to a Live account I will see no margin or functionality difference between the two. i.e I won't get closed out in a live account any different to what would happen in a Demo? Thanks.

Link to comment

Hey - I've just checked and can see that margin % are the same on both demo and live. Therefore they should be the same across the board. Double check margin requirements based on asset type if you would like to confirm for yourself - hope this helps. (e.g. below FTSE on Demo and Live - kinda odd to show the same image, but these are in fact taken from different environments.) 

2018-10-02 10_37_15-IG Trading Platform _ Spread Betting.png2018-10-02 10_36_23-IG Trading Platform _ Spread Betting.png

Link to comment
Guest trader1900

Hi there,

I am wondering if someone who resides in Europe can open an account with IG using a different office lets say in Australia or Switzerland in order to avoid the increased margin requirements? 

Many thanks

Link to comment
Guest RichB-Trader

Hello all,

 

Am I right the "main" change is the margin needed to cover trades. For example to do around 8 trades I needed £20k of margin on my typical equities. Now I need more like £35k. As long as you can get the cash together it doesn't seem to drastic, or am I missing something? 

Link to comment
  • 4 months later...
Guest Questionnaire

There is a 50% close out level set on your account. If you have a £5,000 cash balance and you were using £2,500 in margin reserved to place the trades that were live, at what level of equity would your account be at for the 50% close out level to take effect?

£1,250

£2,500

£3,000

£ 0

 

Link to comment

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • image.png

  • Posts

    • Fears of a wider regional conflict in the Middle East weighed on market sentiment overnight, though a higher open is expected for the Dax. This flight to safety was triggered by news of an Iranian strike on Israel with hundreds of drones and missiles, raising concerns over potential Israeli retaliation. Safe-haven assets like gold and the US dollar strengthened, though the Japanese yen weakened to a 30-year low against the dollar, highlighting that interest rates remain the primary market focus despite geopolitical risks. Oil prices dipped in Asian trading as the risk of Iranian retaliation was already priced in last week. While the US has stated it will not take part in a counter-offensive against Iran, the volatility index remains near five-month highs, reflecting heightened market nervousness. Any further oil price increases could add to inflationary pressures, complicating central banks' efforts to control rising consumer prices. This week, markets will closely watch US economic data releases, including retail sales and comments from Federal Reserve officials, for clues on the monetary policy outlook amid persistent inflation concerns. The US earnings season is also underway, with mixed results from major banks getting the season off to a lacklustre start.  
    • TXN Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge Daily Chart, Texas Instruments Inc., (TXN) Daily Chart TXN Elliott Wave Technical Analysis   FUNCTION: Trend MODE: Impulsive STRUCTURE: Motive POSITION:  Minor wave 3 DIRECTION: Upside in wave 3.     DETAILS: We are looking at either an extension in Minor wav 3 in the making, or else we are still in wave {b} of 2. The most bearish scenario is the one where the move off the 140$ bottom is not a wave 1 and we are still in a larger degree correction.       TXN Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge 4Hr Chart, Texas Instruments Inc., (TXN) 4Hr Chart TXN Elliott Wave Technical Analysis   FUNCTION: Counter Trend MODE: Corrective STRUCTURE: Flat POSITION: Wave {ii}   DIRECTION: Bottom in wave (c) of {ii}. DETAILS: We are looking at a clear three wave move in wave {ii} with a bottom soon to be in place, looking for the beginning of MGM2 at 165$ to provide support.               Welcome to our TXN Elliott Wave Analysis Trading Lounge, where we delve into Texas Instruments Inc. (TXN) using Elliott Wave Technical Analysis. Let's dissect the market dynamics on both the Daily Chart and the 4H Chart as of April 15, 2024. * TXN Elliott Wave Technical Analysis – Daily Chart* On the Daily Chart, our analysis reveals a trending market characterized by impulsive mode and motive structure, positioned in Minor wave 3. The direction indicates upside momentum in wave 3. However, we are considering two potential scenarios: either an extension in Minor wave 3 or still within wave {b} of 2. The most bearish scenario suggests that the move from the $140 bottom may not be a wave 1, implying a larger degree correction. * TXN Elliott Wave Technical Analysis – 4hr Chart* Here, we observe a counter trend market marked by corrective mode and flat structure, positioned in Wave {ii}. The direction hints at a bottom forming in wave (c) of {ii}. Our analysis identifies a clear three-wave move in wave {ii}, with a bottom expected soon. We anticipate support to emerge around the beginning of MGM2 at $165.   Technical Analyst : Alessio Barretta   Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • ASX: RIO TINTO LIMITED – RIO Elliott Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (1D Chart) Greetings, Our Elliott Wave analysis today updates the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) RIO TINTO LIMITED – RIO. We have identified that RIO may have completed the ((ii))-green wave at the 114.88 low, allowing the ((iii))-green wave to open up to push much higher. We will continuously monitor and update not only RIO but also the TOP 50 ASX Stocks and provide the best forecasts. ASX: RIO TINTO LIMITED – RIO Elliott Wave Technical Analysis   ASX: RIO TINTO LIMITED – RIO 1D Chart (Semilog Scale) Analysis Function: Major trend (Minor degree, red) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave ((iii))-green of Wave 3-red Details: The short-term outlook suggests that wave ((ii))-green appears to have completed around 114.88, and wave ((iii))-green is now unfolding to push higher. Maintaining a price level above 121.10 would be advantageous and also serves as a strong support for this perspective. Invalidation point: 102.51       ASX: RIO TINTO LIMITED – RIO Elliott Wave Technical Analysis ASX: RIO TINTO LIMITED – RIO 4-Hour Chart Analysis Function: Major trend (Minute degree, green) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave iii-blue of Wave (iii)-purple of Wave ((iii))-green Details: The shorter-term outlook indicates that wave ((iii))-green is currently unfolding to continue pushing higher. The immediate targets could be around 134.68 and 139.59, or even further. Maintaining above the level of 125.10 would be advantageous, serving as both a support level and strengthening the bullish perspective. Invalidation point: 114.88       Conclusion:   Our analysis, forecast of contextual trends, and short-term outlook for ASX: RIO TINTO LIMITED – RIO aim to provide readers with insights into the current market trends and how to capitalize on them effectively. We offer specific price points that act as validation or invalidation signals for our wave count, enhancing the confidence in our perspective. By combining these factors, we strive to offer readers the most objective and professional perspective on market trends. Technical Analyst: Hua (Shane) Cuong, CEWA-M (Master’s Designation). Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
×
×
  • Create New...
us