Help Calculating Margin on Bitcoin CFD (Demo account user)

Guest lc123

Question

Guest lc123

I have been trading shares in my ISA for a couple of years and now want to progress to CFD. Have opened a Demo account to learn for a few months, but after a couple of days I am struggling with the margin calc.

I bought 1 contract at $8234. Margin requirement (I believe) is 20% so initial margin is $1647.

Current value is $7987 so in a loss position. My stop is at $7457 so risk if taken out is $777 (from initial position).

I believe that as the price has reduced my initial margin has also reduced to $1597?

How do I calc the margin maintenance to add to the initial?

Total margin in the account is stated at around £3040 ($3982 at 1.31 FX).

This seems too high but don't understand. What am I missing?

5 answers to this question

BTC at 8234 margin is 1647 - yes if it's at 20%

BTC at 7987 margin is 1597 - yes if it's at 20%

"How do I calc the margin maintenance to add to the initial? " << what does this mean? please can you rephrase? do you mean cost of holding overnight? There's some info here on that https://www.ig.com/uk/bitcoin-btc

retail margin has now changed as per ESMA >> https://www.ig.com/uk/help-and-support/spread-betting-and-cfds/fees-and-charges/what-are-igs-bitcoin-spread-bet-product-details which I think is what you're referring to and why it's so high.

Guest lc123

Thanks for the reply. No I wasn't referring to the overnight fees.

My understanding is that there are 2 elements to margin. Firstly the initial margin (deposit) which I understand. Secondly the maintenance margin (also called variation margin). This is in case the market moves against you and are are at risk of incurring losses.

I thought the maintenance margin was calculated as follows.

1. Initial deposit x slippage factor. In this case $1597 x 50% = $799 PLUS

2. Loss incurred if stopped out  of $777 (from first post).

This gives total maintenance of $1576 (799+777) (£1198 at FX 1.31)

If I take my initial margin of $1597 and maintenance of $1576 I get $3173 which is £2411 (at 1.31 FX)

My account says margin of £3040 and cant understand what I am missing.

Guest PandaFace

BTC is margined at 50% now so that’s why it’s so large. £3040 is about $4000 which is 50% of the BTC ~$8000 price. So it works out.

You also need to be able to cover the loss on an account, yes, but that isn’t in the margin. 

Maybe @JamesIG knows

Guest PandaFace
39 minutes ago, lc123 said:

Thanks. Didn't realise it was as simple as 50% of current price. Much appreciated. 

Was in the link @cryptotrader posted above with all the other margin requirements :) 

theyve gone up because of esma 

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• image.png

• In the realm of cryptocurrency exchanges, playing by the rules isn’t just a suggestion—it’s a must for staying in the game. Most major centralized exchanges (CEXs) strive to adhere to these regulations, implementing measures to prevent money laundering and illicit activities. However, a recent controversy has emerged with BingX, a top CEX, defying US sanctions by allowing Iranian users full access to its platform. BingX facilitates Iranian Rial trading, directly violating US sanctions. They allow Iranian users to trade cryptocurrencies without KYC verification. This, along with offering peer-to-peer (P2P) transactions using Iranian fiat currency, further raises red flags. This incident is reminiscent of the past troubles faced by giants like Binance, who were caught facilitating transactions for sanctioned individuals, resulting in a $4.5 billion plea deal with US authorities in 2023. The question remains: will this defiance by BingX lead to its downfall? Regulatory bodies in the US, like the SEC or DOJ, might take action.However, the severity of the situation raises questions about the long-term viability of the exchange and whether it may face the prospect of closure or severe penalties for its actions. As governments grapple with the complexities of digital assets, CEXs that prioritize expansion over compliance will likely face increasing scrutiny and potential consequences.  
    • The exchange continues to offers it's  users significant opportunities through its ecosystem products like PoolX and Launchpool. By participating in these platforms, users can benefit from various services such as staking, liquidity mining, and accessing new project opportunities. PoolX enables users to stake their assets and earn rewards through flexible investment options. Launchpool provides users with the chance to participate in early-stage project offerings. Overall, engaging with Bitget ecosystem products can diversify investment portfolios and facilitate exposure to new and promising projects in the crypto space.
    • Are you new to the world of crypto and eager to get started? Today's crypto landscape offers unprecedented opportunities for newcomers, with many building impressive portfolios without any initial investment.  In 2024, the crypto world is buzzing with a continuous flow of airdrops and giveaway events. Recently, a friend I introduced to crypto boasted a $3k portfolio, all acquired without spending a penny. Since March, over seven projects have generously distributed airdrops, and upcoming listings like OEX, Notcoin, and BEYOND are adding to the excitement. Free money is waiting to be claimed once again. For those still unsure about diving into crypto, hesitation could mean missing out on a unique opportunity. But fear not, especially my fellow Africans! A well-known crypto exchange is offering new users the chance to claim a share of 10,000 BGB just for signing up. It's the perfect incentive to kickstart your crypto journey. Need guidance or want to seize more airdrop opportunities? Feel free to reach out – I'm here to help you navigate the crypto world.
us