Jump to content
  • 0

Trading CFD instead of shares


Demoni1

Question

I have access to do CFD trading for Forex, commodities etc.

When it comes to ASX shares, I seem to only be able to purchase shares and not trade it as a CFD.
Is there an option to trade as CFD, is there something I need to do to my account to enable CFD trading of shares?

Link to comment

4 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
2 minutes ago, Demoni1 said:

Thanks for the quick reply.

Based on the attached screenshot, where would i expect to be able to trade this stock as a CFD instead of purchasing shares?

As you can see highlighted, I have the option to buy shares, but i see no option for buying contracts.

cfd1.JPG

Thanks for the screenshot - I appreciate the terminology is a little confusing but in this instance because you are on the CFD account, even though it says 'Buy 1 Share' you are actually still buying a CFD contract on that share price move. 

There aren't individual lot sizes in the same way as there is on things such as oil, or the indices, however it is still a CFD. Anything in that account type follows the 'CFD framework' when it comes to buying and selling.

I hope this clarifies things. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
  • 0
53 minutes ago, Demoni1 said:

I have access to do CFD trading for Forex, commodities etc.

When it comes to ASX shares, I seem to only be able to purchase shares and not trade it as a CFD.
Is there an option to trade as CFD, is there something I need to do to my account to enable CFD trading of shares?

I've just checked your account and can't see any restrictions. You should be able to remain in the CFD account and buy/sell the CFD for the individual stocks. 

Link to comment
  • 0
2 minutes ago, JamesIG said:

I've just checked your account and can't see any restrictions. You should be able to remain in the CFD account and buy/sell the CFD for the individual stocks. 

Thanks for the quick reply.

Based on the attached screenshot, where would i expect to be able to trade this stock as a CFD instead of purchasing shares?

As you can see highlighted, I have the option to buy shares, but i see no option for buying contracts.

 

 

cfd1.JPG

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • 0
Just now, JamesIG said:

Thanks for the screenshot - I appreciate the terminology is a little confusing but in this instance because you are on the CFD account, even though it says 'Buy 1 Share' you are actually still buying a CFD contract on that share price move. 

There aren't individual lot sizes in the same way as there is on things such as oil, or the indices, however it is still a CFD. Anything in that account type follows the 'CFD framework' when it comes to buying and selling.

I hope this clarifies things. 

Perfect, thanks for the explanation.

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      16,008
    • Total Posts
      76,721
    • Total Members
      63,932
    • Most Online
      7,522
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    Pranay
    Joined 19/09/21 01:18
  • Posts

    • @Caseynotesthanks for the reply. How do I know if I am trading at DMA platform or any other.       
    • Hi, all brokers are market makers to some extent. If you are trading on the Direct Market Access (DMA) platform then you are dealing on the exchange through IG but if using any other platform then IG looks to match those trades inhouse matching shorts to longs. Any excess they hedge on the exchange themselves.  So IG aren't taking the other side of your trade, they are covered whether you win or lose and they make on the spread from both parties. If they need to hedge they still win because they get a better spread than what they pass on to you.  
    • Err, I've had all my real vaccines, the ones that completed safety trials, have also had special vaxxes when had to present proof when travelling to a country were there were dangerous diseases present, no problem. But experimental gene therapy that has no medium or long term risk data for a disease that, according to the FDA, has just a 1 in 250,000 risk, and needing to present proof to go to a restaurant or club in my home town - no, this is not about a virus.   Note that the FDA officials that the Biden admin pressured into giving early FDA approval for these vaxxes both resigned. FDA panel just voted 16-3 AGAINST approving the boosters This slide was shown at their meeting.  
×
×
  • Create New...