Daily Commodities Interest

Hi all,

I've had an open buy position on US oil for the past few days and have found that there have been daily transactions crediting my account with various amounts, under the description 'Daily Commodities Interest for 1 day Oil - US Crude'. I can't find any info anywhere about this anywhere. What interest rate is this? How would I calculate the amount?

Hey - you may find the below useful. This should answer your question.

JamesIG,

Thanks very much! I didn't get the exact answer calculating using that formula based on end-of-day prices, but it was close enough to make sense I think.

If I understand correctly, the reason I'm currently being credited is that the October futures price is currently lower than the September futures price. If/when that situation were to flip, my account would be debited every day?

Or take the other side of the trade @pskeoch - ie short instead of long. 

James will be able to confirm in more detail but these things are known in advance. Some commodities have HUGE carry costs. 

Hey all - for reference and comparison you can see some other overnight fundings below. As stated this is due to the futures curve, however it also takes into account the IG admin charge. Below positive means you receive, whilst negative means you are debited. 

2018-08-16 10_06_23-Undated Funding Dialog.png

Hi all,

So suppose I buy iron ore on spread betting account and I receive interest on this daily (credited), can this flip and can I be debited if the futures price goes on the other side of the spot price? Or for a certain commodity (like iron ore) will I always be credited for going long because the futures price will always be on a certain side of the spot price (always will be higher/lower)?

Could you also clarify which side (higher/lower) the spot price has to be in relation to the futures price in order to be credited?

Thanks for your time. Sorry for this question, I'm new to spread betting.

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    Mannix
    Joined 25/08/19 12:33
    • yes @TrendFollower, there are plenty of long term investors with IG and it's right they should take notice and plan well ahead for any eventuality but traders should be thinking differently and look to be responsive to changes in market conditions. As in my previous post the big indices always look a bit toppy and it's too easy to get in short too soon. Back in 2016 there was talk of impending recession for most of the year and many new traders blew their accounts continually shorting the market trying to 'catch the big one', the get rich quick trade. It was depressing to watch.  Here's another interesting chart of S&P seasonal pattern of average return 1990-2018 suggesting uncertainty in the short term before resumption upward.
    • @Caseynotes, One must remember that on average it can take around 18 months from when the treasury yield curve flips or inverts to the start of a recession.  People talk about Dr. Copper but another commodity that it is worth keeping an eye on is Lumber. When housing construction begins to drop then that can be one of many indicators to have a look at. Others are inflation, interest rate direction, wage growth, unemployment, etc. There are many well documents indicators which signal a potential recession is around the corner.  From a trading perspective one should not worry as long as one is comfortable shorting. Those who are not may struggle to consistently make enough profits during a recessionary period. 
    • @Caseynotes, Yes that is right. I have seen some calling the recession for the past two to three years! They have been calling it as if it is around the corner. Then when it does not come they move the goal posts via obscure technical analysis. When one challenges it, one is deemed negative or a naysayer.  Corrections happen large and small. Investors sell investments to take profits. This has been happening since the markets began. Prices go up and down. Prices are bullish and bearish. Of course trading sentiment plays a big part but for me following the price action and letting the price action lead you to a trading decision is key. Trying to wait for the price action to follow your view and then changing the narrative by giving technical reasoning when it does not follow your view in my opinion will lead to missing out on trading opportunities.  For a sound trader, recessions, should not be feared but welcomed. If one understands how prices react during recessions then one can prepare their trading strategy for this outcome but for when it happens and not before.