IG Australia charging quarterly A$50 share dealing subscription fee

Guest jabroni

Guest JasmineC
10 hours ago, Guest njd007 said:

Thank you for your response.

Does this only apply to Australian shares?

How does one go about transferring US shares?

Hi there, this applies to both local and International shares. 

Guest unclerico

With these fees it states that there is an exemption if you ""hold no open positions in your share trading account at the end of the quarter". Can someone explain what that means exactly? Does that just mean that you have shares that you own? Or does that mean you have unfulfilled open orders? I only recently open an IG trading account to buy US shares for long term holding, maybe buying once a year or less, so... that's pretty annoying.

Guest unclerico

And this might be against forum rules of something, but any recommendations for US trading accounts for infrequent traders (e.g., once or twice a year) who are just planning to buy and hold for 10+ years?

2 hours ago, unclerico said:

With these fees it states that there is an exemption if you ""hold no open positions in your share trading account at the end of the quarter". Can someone explain what that means exactly? Does that just mean that you have shares that you own? Or does that mean you have unfulfilled open orders? I only recently open an IG trading account to buy US shares for long term holding, maybe buying once a year or less, so... that's pretty annoying.

assume no open positions means just that ... you're fine if you have no open trade (i.e. you don't have a trade where you can see your profit and loss going up/down). Working orders isn't an open position so you're fine there.

2 hours ago, unclerico said:

And this might be against forum rules of something, but any recommendations for US trading accounts for infrequent traders (e.g., once or twice a year) who are just planning to buy and hold for 10+ years?

also when it comes to this make sure you look at fx conversion costs which is where so many others will **** you over. IG is 0.3% whilst others can very easily be closer to 1.75 / 2% etc. On a $5000 USD trade a 1.75% FX charge would cost an additional 175 USD for a round trip whilst IG would be 30 USD.

People **** about the transparent upfront costs but always miss the hidden costs.... Maybe IG should just scrap the monthly charge, whack FX conversion up to 2% which no one ever looks at and not have to deal with all the whining :D

I'm all for cheaper services and don't like it when companies put up costs - but just make sure ya'll look at those hidden costs.

Guest clicktracy
On 8/30/2018 at 9:46 AM, JasmineC said:

In addition, broker-to-broker transfers are free (like to CommSec or NebTrade), issuer sponsored transfers will incur a $50 charge per line of stock.

Can someone explain what "issuer sponsored" means?

Guest Trader invested

Tbf I don’t think the charges are outrageous. I don’t like them and yeh I’ll be moving... but for what you get I guess it isn’t that bad. Especially when you look at all the other costs which are very good. Like the FX conversion fees etc. 

6 hours ago, clicktracy said:

Can someone explain what "issuer sponsored" means?

Broker sponsored shares, which are generally what IG deal with as they are far more cost efficient, are issued to you via CHESS and sponsored by a stockbroker such as ourselves or our prime broker. An issuer sponsored share basically pulls it into your own name and are issued directly from the company and are maintained by a share registry. You will find they are generally identified by a Securities Reference Number (SRN) which typically starts with an “I” in it's code. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest jabroni

Thanks for wasting my time IG - now i get this when trying to switch over

"We have just received a notification that we are unable to proceed with the transfer at this point in time due to the following issues.

- the other broker required all the shares to be listed on the form for the transfer to take place. Please provide all your listed shares with IG Trading on the form."

Just stop delaying and transfer ALL my shares why delay tactic by making people list each one by one

Hi @jabroni - when transferring shares out of IG you need to be in contact with the new broker you are moving your positions to. In most cases this involves you filling out a form on their side. As you noted above, the rejection seems to have come from your new broker, not IG, rejecting your form due to you not filling in the specific lines of stock (or all stock lines) you are looking to transfer. 

We'll look to get this resolved as soon as you have completed their requirements for transfer. 

• 1 month later...
Guest maisy083

I saw this coming and tried to xfer over to SelfWealth before 30th Nov. But for 'some reason' it took an extra 2 weeks to complete xfer of my portfoilio. So, I now see that IG have taken $50 from my remaining cash account for their **** ripoff quarterly fee.

I will certainly be telling everyone I can about this rippoff fee, and recommending people NOT to open an account here at IG !!

I am NOT HAPPY that I got slugged $50 from my $75 Westpac divedend payout. 

I am SO VERY HAPPY that I am finally out of this money hungry IG platform :/

Goodbye you ripp off merchants !!

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know the actual date ranges for the four quarters?

The email only stated date range for the first quarter and because it started on 30 August it is difficult to estimate the exact date range for the other three quarters

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 29/08/2018 at 20:53, PennyMoney said:

I asked Commsec about this today. Their advice is that the shares purchased through IG and held by Citicorp Nominees as custodian need to be "released to CHESS [to another broker] and you can then complete the Broker to Broker form to transfer the shares."

I have no idea what to do next... I don't have a dedicated broker. I simply want to consolidate a share holding with Commsec (although I have used ANZ in the past too)

It seems that having either an HIN (for CHESS) or an SRN for issuer-sponsored shares is critical.

If anyone has any tips, please let me know! Thanks

Yes, just complete a broker to broker form. You only need IG's PID number (there's no SRN or HIN), and obviously you need an account with Commsec with your own HIN. Takes about 1 to 1.5 weeks to process and have the stocks appear in Commsec. Costs nothing to do. And, Commsec is easy to get on the phone of you have any issues.

Transferring international stock to Commsec is different and requires a different form. You also deal with a different Commsec team. And, there's a bunch of fees associated with international trading (including a holding fee if you don't trade x amount of time each year). You'd want to really investigate before shifting international stocks.