Sign in to follow this  

Add trailing stop to a limit order and guaranteed trailing stops

Like the title suggests, can IG please add these functionalities?
It is pretty sour to trade and then have everything wiped out due to a market gap.

Hi @zala, a few people have requested the option to automatically add a trailing stop to a limit order to open which we have passed onto the relevant dev teams. Unfortunately at the moment we don't have a firm roadmap on delivery as the current stop/trailing stop format relies on other logic in the back end which means we can't simply just switch it on. I shall continue to feed back to the relevant teams and I'll look to update Community members if the above changes.

When it comes to guaranteed trailing stops this isn't something which we have seen as much feedback on, however I will also look to pass this on to the relevant teams. In the meantime, whilst I know it's a manual process, you could look to set an alert for when the market moves 'x' points in your favor and then go in and change the stop manually. I appreciate this is by no means perfect, however it is currently the only work around. 

Please note that when doing the end of month report, we collect feedback from the forum and we will add your comment to that report for consideration of the relevant team. If anyone else is looking for either of the above features, please add to the request below. 

Dear @NadelinaIG.

Guaranteed trailing stops serve the purpose of protecting one's capital in terms of trading on a swing-term basis.
It prevents unpredictable market gaps that could erase substantial gains.

Options for both trailing-stop-limit orders and guaranteed-trailing-stop-limit orders should exist as it increases the universe of possibilities in terms of executing proper risk management.

Edited by zala
  • Like 3

Guest ArouetH

I second the guaranteed trailing stop loss. There is a world of things you could do with them.

Any progress on the idea?

I think guaranteed trailing stops are a must. I can't see any fundamental disadvantage to IG by making it happen. IG's systems could be programmed to prevent an incremental trailing step and distance total that was not consistent with an increased guaranteed stop.

So if guaranteed stops increased to 750pts but the distance and trailing step was too small, then the position would not change. This would be equal to when we have to move stops manually. 

If this could be implemented it would make IG very competitive and attractive to all traders everywhere. 

Given that Trailing stops are available with Non Guaranteed Stops, I can't understand 6 months on from the initial post why they are still not automatically available for Guaranteed Stops? Surely, much of the back end coding to allow this must already exist, and just needs a tweak. Forcing people to manually edit stops on guaranteed stops  seems like a punishment, When trailing stops were introduced why did someone take specific action not to apply them universally to all categories of stops. What was the flawed logic behind this decision?