Sign in to follow this  

hurricane florence

I guess this is a two part question

1. is it ethical to discuss and talk about trading opportunities on the back of what could potentially be a destructive weather pattern?
  2. if you don't think its an issue ... what is your strategy? I put this in commodities because I see this are more a soft commods Q.

I don't know how I feel about this one. I feel almost bad typing it - but should I?

looking for open discussion on this one and very open to moral chat about it all. looking to be convinced either way.

Edited by cryptotrader

Hmmm, good question @cryptotrader,  I'll just post mine now.

Maybe just look at the markets and take your que from the big boys.

'Terrorist Attack'  SELL SELL SELL. Unless you are happy to sit and hold an increasing loss, out of respect.

Traders don't make the good news or the bad, traders can only react whether that is to capitalise or protect the only thing they have, their assets.

• Like 1

@cryptotrader / @PandaFace

For me if there is a trend then I am interested. Whether that be because of political unrest, war propaganda and rhetoric, extreme weather conditions (El-Nino) or whatever. 

Have a look at my historical posts on Orange Juice during the Florida Hurricane Irma and the posts should answer most of your questions. I tend to agree with @Caseynotes post. 

For me the most important question is are you doing anything illegal trading soft commodities should their prices be affected by extreme weather conditions? For me the answer is no. In terms of morals and ethics I will leave that for others to discuss. I am interested in trading trends regardless of asset class though I tend to stick to commodities and cryptos with the odd shares. If I have not identified a trend then I am more than happy to patiently wait until I do identify a suitable trend to trade. Sometimes doing nothing is the right option. 

Guest Bobby Axelrod

This whole concept about this is very similar to what axe cap was dealing with in the series billions. good show and its a hard one to think about. I often think what people say and think are different and this is one of those times. is there anything bad in trading on news? not so much I don't think but where does that end? trading over 9/11 for example? its an interesting one.

I think I have to be inclined to agree with you all on this one. If the news is there you can either trade it or not, but either way doesn't actually matter to the events directly or indirectly.

If you see an opportunity you have to take it and I don't see anything 'wrong' or immoral about taking the trade. I think it really depends on the frame of mind (for me personally anyway) sort of like ... imagine the storm is bad and you're making your trade decisions, you don't want to be thinking "I hope this is even MORE catastrophic to really hit the market" but rather you just trade on 'it is what it is - lets roll with it and get some trades on'.

nice insight thanks all.

• Like 1

Quite right @cryptotrader,  "If you see an opportunity"  ... it's your job to take it, and there will be plenty enough that you don't see. 

The other point you site is interesting as it is very like being emotionally attached or wedded to a trade which usually doesn't work out well either. Total emotional detachment is the optimum position when you have no control over events. 

• Like 1

@cryptotrader, normally when the media starts reporting that a hurricane will be arriving shortly (within weeks) the speculative money starts flowing in (early). This is even before the hurricane has even hit its forecasted target. This was evidenced by the price action of Orange Juice futures when the media were reporting on Hurricane Irma.

From my experience once the hurricane has hit its intended target and the devastation is known you may see further upside if the damage is worse than predicted. However, after this point the selling begins and profits are taken so there is always a healthy correction / drop.

When the damage is not as bad as expected and the predictions are way out then the selling more or less starts as soon as this is known which is pretty quick nowadays.

Edited by TrendFollower

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    Investor
    Joined 21/09/18 16:33
  • Our picks

• Trump tweets OPEC "Get prices down now!" - EMEA brief 21 Sep
      Brent crude has its eyes on $80 a barrel and is currently trading at its highest level in 4 years, all despite efforts of Trump's Tweets for OPEC to "get prices down now". On the other hand, global equity markets are shining with the Japanese Nikkei hitting an 8-month high, Chinese shares on course to make their biggest weekly gains in 2 years, and a strong earnings outlook expected to continue.
      • 2 replies
    • Signal Trades
      Are you looking for trade ideas and signals? Have you ever wondered how our signals, provided by the third party PIA First and Autochartist algorithms, work? Get involved with the Community discussion and make the most of IG - maybe even set up a few trades in a demo account and see how they play out? Remember, as always practice due diligence and make your own trading decisions.
      • 0 replies
    • Join our #IGFXChat and put your currency questions to our expert panel
      Submit your questions now! In October we will be hosting a number of live chats and discussion dedicated to the world of currency trading and the foreign exchange market. Each #IGFXChat will focus on a unique topic, relevant to the macroeconomic landscape today. Get involved and make the most out of IG.
      • 0 replies