Cryptocurrency trading needs to be 24/7

Guest Me7

I just realised that IG turn off their Crypto trading desk on Saturday mornings. I use IG for all stock trading, and would like to keep using them for Crypto CFD.  Unfortunately, its not possible...BTC moves fast and by holding a position over the weekend I risk being stopped out with significant loss.  Would be good if they opened the crypto desk 24/7 

Im currently looking for another exchange that trades 24/7 but kind of hoping that IG change this in order to keep up with standard 24/7  trading..

On 24/09/2018 at 14:23, TrendFollower said:

@Me7, I totally agree. I think Cryptos should be available to trade 24/7.

However, this question has been asked many times and I for one have asked this question several times a couple of years back and @JamesIG has answered it several times stating it was not possible and outlining the reasons why. This may be a very good time for him to update the IG Community with the latest position.

Yes, its a wild asset to trade as it is, but having the black out for 5 hours on a Saturday makes it impossible for me to trade through IG. Crypto doesn't sleep...Will be glad to hear something from @JamesIG

Currently there are no roadmapped plans to change our crypto offering or dealing hours. Whilst this incredibly new asset type has only been around for a few years (coinbase for example has only been around since 2012) the entire financial system has been built around a weekend downtime, and this has been something which we have been a part of. In the scheme of things crypto has only recently become popular. 

Whilst on the surface it may seem easy to offer a truly 24/7 offering there are a number of additional parameters to consider such as required downtime for server maintenance / staffing / incident support etc. 

As you stated there are a few hours during which the crypto markets at IG are closed.  Whilst we are continuing to review all options (as we do periodically for our entire business) there are no hard and fast plans in place to offer a truly continuous 24/7 trading environment for crypto I'm afraid. 

Archived