Jump to content

US Dollar index - Fed rate decision


Recommended Posts

USD-DX basket approaching my previously mentioned resistance zone.  If an A-B-C is still to complete then this is a high probability test and rejection area.  A significant break through suggests the USD rally is already on.  Check EURUSD for finer detail analysis, this is just an indicator for me, I trade EURUSD as a proxy for USD.

DX-Daily_021018.thumb.png.0780f6380e52d902184fa18f9935af0e.png

Link to comment

DXY is looking tough to call at the moment (but hey that may just be me). From as much as I can see from a technical perspective there doesn't seem to be a clear area of support or resistance / no channel / nothing on the Fibs at the moment . Sentiment seems to be split, and whilst US treasury yields are on a field day helping push USD higher ... there doesn't seem much else to give it real conviction.

  • DXY pushed higher by surging UST yields and strong US data
  • Came close to testing the 76.4 Fibo at 96.23 with a high of 96.12
  • Break of Fibo targets full retracement to 2018 high at 96.98
  • Support now at Tues/Weds lows of 95.26, 55 DMA at 95.07
  • S/t MAs and momentum studies head higher, supporting further USD gains

522069895_2018-10-0412_24_38-TradeUSDollarBasket_USDollarBasketPrice_USDollarBasket_LiveCommod.png.447e36b7e751f632196d5133d03ecba3.png

Link to comment

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-10-04/why-traders-are-whsipering-about-500000-jobs-print-tomorrow intersting point of view as discussed on Z given the recent strength...

 And the Soc gen quote

"I don't think we're supposed to rush out and revise our forecasts for tomorrow's data as a result, but the market will be braced for a strong outcome despite the potential drag from Hurricane Florence, and the underlying message is that the US economy isn't just in fine fettle, it's on fire. That has been enough to take 10year Note yields out of their recent range and to levels (2.23% and still rising) that we haven't seen since 2011. Ed Chairman Powell acknowledges that the funds rate is likely to get above ‘neutral' (i.e., above 3%) at some point, albeit slowly."

  • Like 1
Link to comment

Not sure IG client sentiment is representative of the market in general, nor that DX as such is a good one to look at in this regard, EURUSD is much more heavily traded.

Having said that DX price action is useful as an overall indicator of USD strength/weakness and therefore helpful to support views on USD pairs for me.

Regarding Technicals on DX (and similar on EURUSD) I see the following short term (over and above previous longer term analysis already posted).

The 62% Fib and associated resistance zone has been broken leaving 76/78% as the last bastion for any Short trading (Long for the FX pairs).  I remain of the bias that this is a relief rally in a Wave B (until past high is broken, which would indicate a strong rally phase).  Wave Bs are devilish tricky to call and trade, they can go all the way to double tops/bottoms.  I do have a tram-line pair and short term rally labeling that suggests another wave up to the Fib 76/78 area.  If we see price action turns here and a break of tram-lines (inc on EUR/USD in particular) then a trade coul dbe on (Long EURUSD) and if sustained then it could be a decent bushel of points before the USD rally really gets going.

US NFP could tell the tale here but as always volatility around this particular data release s difficult to handle.

DX-1-hour041018.thumb.png.f25e3dea5bef047fbc6daf6cb262a2de.png

Link to comment

Just to provide additional perspective for my GBPUSD and EURUSD posts here is he DX 4 hourly chart that shows strong tramlines and indicated another leg up to the Fib 76/78% level before turning.  A break of the tramline, whenever it occurs (if it does) supports the continuation of the GBP rally and the start of EUR rally.

DX-4hour_051018.thumb.png.71807f6a79af276fd1895e2157ff5311.png

Link to comment

Nice retest of the tram-line break and bounce back down.  A follow up break of the lower support zone will confirm the turn for me.  Mirror image on FX pairs with USD.  Could also support Indices rally from here.  Looks like Gold/Silver may get a boost from falling USD too.

DX-1-hour101018.thumb.png.6425ab015ccb01af3fb836ee2ac22e49.png

Link to comment

Just to complete the USD picture, again the market is currently following my route map nicely.  We had a break through the 4 hour tram-line pair and a quick retest of that level with a rejection drop away.  Now the market has been stopped (I think temporarily) at near term support.  A break through this brings up a longer bearish phase to complete the turn scenario.  I am expecting a drop past recent lows to make a fresh low for the overall bigger picture retrace in A-B-C form prior to the big USD rally resuming.

DX-4-hours_111018.thumb.png.3d0be6c3e0a7d8183c1cc5333d226ca6.png

Link to comment

My view is the opposite.  The price action remains consistent with my EURO and GBP rally in retrace scenario.  AUD is leading the charge, a break above near term resistance will confirm a resumption of the retrace rally.  Strong rally price action on Euro and GBP at important levels, albeit that another small leg down to on these 2 cannot yet be ruled out.

Link to comment

Still showing Bearish signals (not strong but at important levels) despite heavy stocks losses, which may be a reason USD hasn't dropped harder yet.  Perhaps a consolidation and/or turn on stocks could prompt a capitulation of USD?  Might take a little while to resolve this one, maybe not until next week if we see the stocks bearish move calm down for a while.  Friday's price action across the board will be interesting.

DX-1-hour_251018.thumb.png.99b420ec2f7990b718e73790116cb04c.png

Link to comment

Don't think those are "real" gaps @elle.  DX closes every night for a couple of hours but actual FX pairs don't so when DX opens again it plays catch up, hence the small opening gaps.  If you compare vs EURUSD you don't see the same gaps.  There is a whopper of a gap on EURUSD back in April that happened over a weekend, visible on Weekly chart too.  This one I do expect to be closed by a USD rally but not relevant just now.  Still looking for USD to drop back (EURUSD rally), although it is taking us right to the wire...

Link to comment

DX turning at the Fib 76/78% zone.  If it drops consistently from here (even with a small final leg up to retest) the USD will be on a bigger picture bearish retrace in A-B-C form (road map is just illustrative as these A-B-Cs can proceed in many different shapes.  Key point here is that a break down starting below the wave 1 (blue) is crucial to the retrace set up and a fresh break above raises the probability that a big USD rally is on.

Interesting times...

DX-1-hour_091118.thumb.png.aac2b444bbcd59f79add4d86c5b2d180.pngDX-Daily_091118.thumb.png.1f366a04d5196b35ca66273d5cc28358.png

Link to comment

Recent moves would certainly appear to suggest the USD rally remains strong.  Is the USD going up long term? I believe so.  But is it now?  I am less sure.  I will not be confident until significant resistance is broken and ideally after a significant retrace bearish move, neither of which have occurred for me.

Regarding Gaps, well you know my view that your gaps are not real gaps @elle but never mind that because it is moot if we both believe USD is going to rally through those gaps, at some point.  There are however some Gaps on EURUSD (tail gaps) and GBPUSD, especially recently, that remain unfilled.

So despite my EURUSD rally set up not working this time I cannot eliminate that set up, starting from a lower level.  GBPUSD still looks set to be on a larger retrace move and AUD (not part of DX basket) also remains in a bullish set up.

Therefore my lead scenario on DX remains Bearish in the short to medium term but Long term Bullish.  My approach will be to wait for price action around the over head resistance level (Fib 62%) and assess matters then.

DX-Weekly_121118.thumb.png.fedc929ccd037551bf51626507d6e288.pngDX-Daily_121118.thumb.png.e091766cd1f2bfc8dab37f7bd9812988.png

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      19,003
    • Total Posts
      85,718
    • Total Members
      68,204
    • Most Online
      7,522
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    Sopana
    Joined 29/06/22 12:33
  • Posts

    • AUSTRALIAN DOLLAR TALKING POINTS AUD/USD consolidates within the June range as it manages to hold above the yearly low (0.6829), but the exchange rate may face headwinds ahead of the Reserve Bank of Australia (RBA) interest rate decision on July 5 as the central bank tames speculation for another 50bp rate hike.   AUD/USD OUTLOOK MIRED BY WANING BETS FOR RBA RATE HIKE IN JULY AUD/USD fails to extend the series of higher highs and lows from last week’s low (0.6869) on the back of US Dollar strength, and the Greenback may continue to outperform its Australian counterpart as Governor Philip Lowe acknowledges that “like other countries, we’re having to raise interest rates and there are uncertainties around how that’s going to affect the economy.” As a result, Governor Lowe went onto say that the central bank is “on a narrow path back to low inflation” while speaking at an event held by UBS, with the central bank head emphasizing that the benefits of meeting every four-weeks is that the RBA is able to “take stock of information at a very high frequency basis and are able to respond to the changing circumstances.” The comments suggest the RBA will move to the sidelines after delivering a 50bp rate hike for the first time since 2000 as the minutes from the June meeting reveal that “over the preceding couple of decades, increases in the cash rate had typically occurred in 25 basis point increments,” and waning speculation for a further shift in monetary policy may drag on the Australian Dollar as the ASX RBA Rate Indicator now shows a“64% expectation of an interest rate increase to 1.50% at the next RBA Board meeting.” Keep in mind, the indicator showed an 80% chance for a July RBA rate hike during the previous week, and the different approaches between the RBA and Federal Reserve may keep AUD/USD under pressure in the second half of 2022 as Chairman Jerome Powell and Co. show a greater willingness to implement a restrictive policy. In turn, the consolidation in AUD/USD may end up being temporary with the Federal Open Market Committee (FOMC) on track to implement higher interest rates over the coming months, but a further decline in the exchange rate may fuel the tilt in retail sentiment like the behavior seen earlier this year.   Jun 29, 2022 | DailyFX David Song, Strategist
    • Jun 29, 2022 | DailyFX Nick Cawley, Strategist EUR/GBP CHART AND ANALYSIS Multi-week trend remains in place. Central Bank speak on tap. EUR/GBP Daily Price Chart June 29, 2022 Retail trade data show 55.93% of traders are net-long with the ratio of traders long to short at 1.27 to 1. The number of traders net-long is 13.13% lower than yesterday and 4.31% lower from last week, while the number of traders net-short is 7.48% lower than yesterday and 13.79% higher from last week. We typically take a contrarian view to crowd sentiment, and the fact traders are net-long suggests EUR/GBP prices may continue to fall. Yet traders are less net-long than yesterday and compared with last week. Recent changes in sentiment warn that the current EUR/GBP price trend may soon reverse higher despite the fact traders remain net-long. What is your view on EUR/GBP – bullish or bearish?
    • Dollar strength pressures EUR/USD and GBP/USD but lifts USD/JPY Risk-off sentiment has returned, and this has resulted in gains for the dollar at the expense of the euro, sterling and yen.    Chris Beauchamp | Chief Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Wednesday 29 June 2022  EUR/USD EUR/USD returned to the 50-day simple moving average (SMA) this week ($1.0588), having rallied modestly from the lows of June, along with most risk assets. However, it looks like the hiatus from risk-off sentiment has come to an end once again, and a fresh move lower is in store. Further declines from here will bring $1.0384 and then $1.035 into view, as the pair heads back to retest recent lows seen over the past two months. A revival back above the 50-day SMA and then above $1.06 would be needed to suggest a resumption of the bounce, which then targets $1.0637 and higher. Source: ProRealTime GBP/USD struggles in early trading For GBP/USD as well it looks like a new drop is at hand, as the dollar strengthens again and the concerns about inflation and growth begin to build. The downtrend here looks to be in the process of reasserting itself, which suggests a resumption of the move back to $1.20 and lower. Below this there is not much evidence of support until the March 2020 lows of $1.15. Buyers will need to step in soon and push the price back above $1.2366 if they are to avoid this scenario, although a bounce back above $1.263 would be needed if it is to push on to create a higher high. Source: ProRealTime USD/JPY holds near highs USD/JPY has returned to the highs of last week, with the uptrend here just as firmly in place as the downtrends are for EUR/USD and GBP/USD. Now that the 2002 highs have been breached, the next step would be ¥146.75, the highs from 1998. Horizontal and trendline support come into view around ¥135.00, which may help support the price in the end of any drop in coming days. Below this the price would head towards the 50-day SMA at ¥131.00. Source: ProRealTime
×
×
  • Create New...