Newbie: Market Denominations

DavidHK

Good day everyone,

I am new to trading and would like to get some clarification on how to read share prices in different markets.

1. For companies listed on the FTSE100 are these quoted in pounds? For example, if a company is listed as 56.18 does this mean £0.5618p per share? 
2. For US listed companies is this listed in dollars? For example, if a company is listed as 3855 does this mean $38.55?
3. For other markets, eg Japan 225, German 30, France 40 how are these listed?

I tried to find this information but could not and would be so grateful for any information provided.

Thanks.

Hi @DavidHK,  you will need to check the web site of the  particular exchange the stock is traded on to find how it is listed.

The LSE lists in pence while the Nasdaq and NYSE lists in US Dollars but the broker quote on a platform may break that down even more, 

eg Tesla on the SB platform is 32000.00 which is $320.0000.

Barclays on the SB platform is 172.00 which is £1.7200

Hi I have just had the same question. 

Two things I did to help me.

1. Pretend to place an order - that came up with the currency involved - for example Amazon Inc at approx 1700 was $1700, c.£1300...
  2. Click on the Down Arrow next to the company (its one of the 3/4 icons), there is an option called Get info. Here has lots of useful things to help.

Hope this helps too.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Bates said:

Hi I have just had the same question. 

Two things I did to help me.

1. Pretend to place an order - that came up with the currency involved - for example Amazon Inc at approx 1700 was $1700, c.£1300...
  2. Click on the Down Arrow next to the company (its one of the 3/4 icons), there is an option called Get info. Here has lots of useful things to help.

Hope this helps too.

Hi Bates,

Thanks very much. But does that tell me the denomination? For example if I take Barclays PLC as an example currently trading at 172.06. The 'Get Info' tab says GBP so does this mean each share is £172 or £1.72p?

Thanks for your help

By no means am an expert... being a newbie myself...

But number 1 if you place order for 1 share, it the IG app then tells you the price. The other poster (@caseynotes) is probably a another good approach if you want to make absolutely sure (i.e. look on the exchange websit) 

I think the LSE quotes in pence though. So 1 share above would be 1.72 ps... don’t forget that IG will add there commission to that figure so for me at the moment i1 share shows as £9.72

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    TradingBullCow
    Joined 31/07/21 18:56
    • The new CDC Massachusetts study is drawing a lot of attention. The CDC is using it to promote mutant risk but there is a lot more to the story. - 74% of 882 people infected with coronavirus in the US outbreak were fully immunised but only 50% of US are fully vaxed suggests the vaccines are making people more susceptible to infection (which indicates vaccine ADE). - The viral load was found to be the same for the vaccinated and non-vaxed alike which would suggest the vaccine was not offering any protection at all (which indicates vaccine ADE). - Most of the 74% were symptomatic, such a high ratio of symptomatic/unsymptomatic for the delta variant would suggest the vaccine was compromising the immune system making symptoms worse (which indicates vaccine ADE).   Meanwhile, a CDC Internal Document: “Universal masking is essential to reduce transmission of the Delta variant” This is nonsense, masks can only stop droplet borne virus not virus as aerosol. An infected person will breath out 50,000 with each breath and they float on air, travel much more than 2 meters, and around perspex screens, and through the weave of a mask. UK lifts mask mandates at the peak of new cases ... and immediately the curve collapses.   .  
    • Main stream media are waking up to the fact all is not right concerning the vaccines. The fully vaxxed are the majority of new cases. No one is as yet coming out and saying vaccine ADE but all the indications are pointing that way. So far all the blame is being heaped solely on mutants but that can't be the whole story. Vaccine ADE enhances the virus while compromising the immune system. CNN @CNN ''Vaccination alone won't stop the rise of variants and in fact could push the evolution of strains that evade their protection, researchers warned.''  Vaccination is not enough by itself to stop the spread of variants, study finds - CNN    'Study finds 74% of outbreak sufferers were fully vaccinated'. (US is only 50% vaxed) Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 Infections, Including COVID-19 Vaccine Breakthrough Infections, Associated with Large Public Gatherings — Barnstable County, Massachusetts, July 2021 | MMWR (cdc.gov) ('Breakthrough infections'' is a term meaning infections in vaccinated people)   CNBC @CNBC 'CDC says 74% of people infected in Massachusetts Covid outbreak were fully vaccinated.' JUST IN - 'More than 110,000 breakthrough cases in the US' (Bloomberg)   And from SAGE yesterday evening; ''JUST IN - SAGE, the UK's health "expert panel," warns next Covid "super mutant variant" could kill up to one in three people, and the "vaccine roll-out may even speed up mutant strain's emergence." (Daily Mail) The last half of that headline is a clear indication they at least suspect vaccine ADE. SAGE: Next Covid variant could kill one in three people | Daily Mail Online   Safe vaccines, the ones that completed their long term trials before roll out don't cause 'super mutants'. We are starting to see why Dr Robert Malone was calling for the vax programme to be stopped immediately in the video posted above.   Pfizer now saying vaccines will not be enough so as well as perpetual booster jabs they are developing oral antivirals. (oh - like Ivermectin you mean - can't use that, it only cost a few cents) Pfizer Inc.  @pfizer  Alongside vaccines, success against #COVID19 will likely require #antiviral treatments for those who contract the virus. We’ve started a Phase 2/3 trial to evaluate a potential oral therapy that will enroll over 2,000 participants infected with SARS-CoV-2:   So the vaccines don't actually work then except to incapacitate your immune system and create super mutants.   And in another new twist Social Media are quietly starting to remove the warnings they habitually place on posts that might, even slightly, be construed as anti-vax. 🤔   .edit bad pic crop.  
    • OK - I think I'm going to leave this thread here for the time being - its covered a lot I want to end it on a very very advanced concept - Gann related obviously! Gann was light years ahead of his time, the below is going to prove this fact, his methods were esoteric and he was beaten to these laws of the world by the Egyptians (you'll see the shape in the images below) The markets are not doing what you think they are doing - there's forces you are not aware of at work behind the scenes driving prices on ALL markets This post is to get you thinking - I'm not making any claims, but the other day on a EURUSD thread I did highlight a buying zone of which price has "suddenly" rallied upwards from! In the chart below we'll look at the 4  points shown on the chart 1-4, because these have been recent major swing points - I want to show you what Gann was thinking and talking about over 100 years ago - I will keep it as simple as possible This is Gann's "Square of 9" - look at the shape of it on a top down view - its basically the Pyramids! (TIP: Imagine pulling the centre number shown up towards you to visualise the concept) Basically this is a square root calculator - as you go up or down levels around the sq or 9 you going through increments of square root %'s - there are major intersections of the square and those are shown on the images as the yellow painted sections - north, south, east, west etc - see where price lands on those lines around the major turns I think we can agree totally, from this entire thread and what I'm showing you below that Gann and his methods have massive significance on the markets and as traders that means profiting from.  This is EURUSD Daily Swing High #1: OK we get a major swing high price of 12350, this gets inputted into the Gann sq or 9 as the CENTER/PEAK of the square - the calculator then generates all the levels around that price according to the maths of the sq of 9 - see chart We have NO idea prior which levels "might" cause resistance or support and we don't know when either - what we DO know is that the major intersection in YELLOW "could" do something - the thing is we are aware of these levels well in advance and before price gets near! So from the top at 12350, prices falls to a low of 11952, then rallies to 12243, then falls to 11835, rallies then falls into the swing low #2 of 11704 I've highlighted the relevant prices on the Gann sq of 9 below for you - EACH swing turn point was 2 pips - 2 pips off the yellow highlighted price levels - take a minute to think about that 2 pips from price levels worked out yonks in advance by a method of a trader from over 100 years ago, that he discovered from studying the Egyptians who built temples to the fact thousands of years prior! OK coincidence? Coincidence - I think not, here's the next chart of the swing UP from 2-3 We have a LOW of 11704, rally to 12150, low of 11986 and then the swing high #3 at price level 12266 Again we have price finding support and resistance at price levels within pips of the major intersections on the gann sq of 9 OK last swing 3-4 High of 12266, low 11847, high 11975, low of 11805 I don't think I need to say anymore From 11805 here's the square of nine numbers to which the market might find support/resistance from (Remember the YELLOW lines are the major points to watch) - IF 11805 is the swing LOW The square of Nine is more deep than this - the positioning can be important too - for instance 1st gann sq of nine chart above in the post, follow the numbering from the 11835 LOW around the square until you get to the swing 2 low of 11704 - its moved out to the next level but on the same line sequence as the low and up nearly opposite the first low of 11952 and within pips of a major intersection  I can tell you that most markets adhere to the square of Nine - however, there's a huge amount of things to look at, consider and apply so we won't go any further into this As with ANY method, do as I've done, test it, if you understand it and it fails, dump it - I could go on showing coincidence after coincidence of the square of nine - I just wanted to show you that there's reasons markets turn at specific points "out of the blue" - you'll get people mentioned support and resistance as throw away comments (usually Fibonacci levels that they don't really understand!)  Successful Trading THT