Newbie: Market Denominations

DavidHK

Good day everyone,

I am new to trading and would like to get some clarification on how to read share prices in different markets.

1. For companies listed on the FTSE100 are these quoted in pounds? For example, if a company is listed as 56.18 does this mean £0.5618p per share? 
2. For US listed companies is this listed in dollars? For example, if a company is listed as 3855 does this mean $38.55?
3. For other markets, eg Japan 225, German 30, France 40 how are these listed?

I tried to find this information but could not and would be so grateful for any information provided.

Thanks.

Hi @DavidHK,  you will need to check the web site of the  particular exchange the stock is traded on to find how it is listed.

The LSE lists in pence while the Nasdaq and NYSE lists in US Dollars but the broker quote on a platform may break that down even more, 

eg Tesla on the SB platform is 32000.00 which is $320.0000.

Barclays on the SB platform is 172.00 which is £1.7200

Hi I have just had the same question. 

Two things I did to help me.

1. Pretend to place an order - that came up with the currency involved - for example Amazon Inc at approx 1700 was $1700, c.£1300...
  2. Click on the Down Arrow next to the company (its one of the 3/4 icons), there is an option called Get info. Here has lots of useful things to help.

Hope this helps too.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Bates said:

Hi I have just had the same question. 

Two things I did to help me.

1. Pretend to place an order - that came up with the currency involved - for example Amazon Inc at approx 1700 was $1700, c.£1300...
  2. Click on the Down Arrow next to the company (its one of the 3/4 icons), there is an option called Get info. Here has lots of useful things to help.

Hope this helps too.

Hi Bates,

Thanks very much. But does that tell me the denomination? For example if I take Barclays PLC as an example currently trading at 172.06. The 'Get Info' tab says GBP so does this mean each share is £172 or £1.72p?

Thanks for your help

By no means am an expert... being a newbie myself...

But number 1 if you place order for 1 share, it the IG app then tells you the price. The other poster (@caseynotes) is probably a another good approach if you want to make absolutely sure (i.e. look on the exchange websit) 

I think the LSE quotes in pence though. So 1 share above would be 1.72 ps... don’t forget that IG will add there commission to that figure so for me at the moment i1 share shows as £9.72

Hi @DavidHK , @Bates is correct the London Stock Exchange quote in pence (US exchanges quote in $US) plus there is the commission per trade.

So eg for BARC IG lists it as 172.00 (broadly in line with the LSE) so the actual price for 1 share is 172 pence or £1.72.

There is a good stock guide for the new here;

https://www.liberatedstocktrader.com/stock-price/

Just seen the entire IG web site seems to have gone through an upgrade so can't find anything any more.

Realised I was not clear previously. barc at 172.00 is 1£ and 72 pence and 0 tenths of 1 pence and 0 hundredths of 1 pence (which is 1 IG point). 

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      14/01/21 09:51

Newest Member
    poddsound
    Joined 17/01/21 19:20
    • I'll try to be concise: Dent was in 2010 calling for the mother of all stock market crashes - so were Elliott Wave International in fact EWI have been call for a massive collapse since 1986!  Some of what he says is accurate - deflation for example - the reason QE has not caused inflation is because it was issued in a deflationary cycle The crash he talks about won't happen - I listened to dent and EWI back in 2010 and I choose to do my own research as other things i was investigating suggested the opposite to what they were both spouting Read my Time Cycles page, it explains the deflationary/inflationary cycles - proven with 220+ years of stock market history behind the reasoning The deflationary cycle he refers to ended late 2016, its now inflationary according to my calcs and research and my prediction is stock market is going upwards until the mid 2030's when it will crash and top out - yet Dent still thinks its in play Up until then we might get a 1987 style crash event but overall the corrections will be modest not massive and they will all be quickly surpassed I don't listen to anyone out there - I trade independently according to my methods so I don't need to be buying and holding and if I'm wrong so be it - it won't affect my trading as the market dictates my positions, not my expectations - since 2010 this has work exceptionally well, where if I'd of followed EWI and Dents forecasts I'd of lost everything in 2010! I've no thoughts on Gold other than it is inflationary hedge - as mentioned on another thread when the stock market is inflationary (which I think started 2017) then price correlation backwards to last time it was inflationary (1982-2000) gold was subdued    
    • Thanks @Caseynotes. Do you think the time of the daily close bears any significance. When viewing the hourly charts, the volume and movements seem to be higher in GMT "working hours" and then slow down overnight. Therefore, are other countries trading on GMT I wonder?
    • Saw a snippet on Sky news complaining that the Lateral Flow test must be faulty because it wasn't picking up as many positives as the PCR. Quite an unbelievable misinterpretation of the data on the number of false positives made by the PCR. Not surprising really as the fake positive numbers generated by the PCR are the only thing driving project fear and lockdowns. Meanwhile, in order to stem the flow of staff needing to self isolate following a PCR false positive the NHS are switching to ...  er, the lateral flow test.         Dr Clare Craig  @ClareCraigPath Deaths are not climbing commensurate with cases. Either COVID got less deadly (despite inc hospital admissions) or we have two measure a) a community positive rate off the charts with false positives b) a hospital rate (likely to inc some real COVID) which is at a steady state     .