Sign in to follow this  

Apple - has the trend come to an end?

This run has been amazing,  but the recent trading update / some news / some downgrades - could mean the end of the trend

Capture aapl.PNG

Edited by elle

@elle,

First of all excellent thread and excellent question posted. 

From the chart (daily) it seems like a correction was due and some will love this opportunity to top up or buy on the dips. 

The price has gone below its 20 DMA, 50 DMA and 100 DMA. However at this point in time the price is still above its 200DMA so for me the current trend is down but the longer term trend is still in tact. If the price crossed the 200 DMA then I would say it could be leading to the end of the trend but this has not been confirmed just yet. 

1595382822_AppleInc(AllSessions)_20181105_20_30.thumb.png.d3b575c2d635d875456efc2aabd7ec3d.png

The key question which presents itself here is whether one would short Apple right now. I think a more aggressive trader would have opened up a short as soon as the 20 DMA had been crossed but certainly before the 50 DMA was crossed. 

The one thing I have noticed on IG Community in general is a lack of discussion around short trades especially when the opportunities are presenting themselves yet there seems to be little discussion. I tried on my Lumber thread but did not get much discussion and Lumber was a brilliant short trade.

When would some of you within the IG Community consider shorting Apple? What would need to happen to the price for you to consider opening a short?

Shorting Apple down to 19000 mark would be super aggresive from this point. I always look at the daily chart and would probably wait to see when and how high the next long candle is before doing so. 

From the chart (daily) one could infer that the bigger the move up the bigger the correction when it arrives.

@Nelsy-Boy, yes you are right it would be super aggressive as one would think the next leg up in Apple will shortly commence but that does not necessarily mean it would be the wrong move. 

For me one should consider the following:

• Trend Strength
  • Volume
  • Volatility
  • Momentum

Let me know whether your next long candle supports a short move or not.

Oh dear. There was the 19000 mark hit and a little beyond today. Was that pre-cursor price action for another downward move tomorrow or has it come back up with such force that tomorrow will be a continuing move up. Just looking at the daily still, nothing else although they still have a few more market hours to go over there.

I don't trade individual shares so have no vested interest in this but for what it is worth, there is an argument that the top is in with a pin bar reversal price action on the Weekly chart.  On the Monthly chart I have a speculative pair of channels that are exactly equal in width (a charting feature necessary for validity) but the number of touches on the lines are not great.  This is to be expected with such a parabolic rally as we have seen on these tech stocks.

I can make a case for a top out and strong retrace rally or one more leg up before a top out.  In either case I don't see a Short until we see one of the above scenarios play out.  If one wanted to take a short now then Stops would need to be above the recent top of the market but if there is another higher high that stop would be taken out.  For me insufficient boxes are ticked yet, it is much the same as my assessment of Oil really.

AAPL-Monthly_1118.thumb.png.59402d9b817e1da1f0fa10510cfc37fb.pngAAPL-Weekly_061118.thumb.png.7da0b6c77dcc646834b0ceb29ea6df5b.png

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• IG ISA Season

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    lulub2000
    Joined 18/03/19 15:55
  • Our picks

• Flowless rally - APAC brief 18 Mar
      A flowless rally: It’s being dubbed the “flowless rally”. Equities are ticking higher, but without the fundamental buying-support one might assume. This is especially so when considering the milestone achieved on Wall Street on Friday. Finally, the 2815 resistance level has tumbled, and the bulls have cautiously, quietly rejoiced. There are yellow flags popping up here and there, however, and that is making participants wary. It goes back to this “flowless rally” business: the latest leg of global stocks big recovery isn’t being supported by investor flows. In fact, investor flows look to have diminished somewhat. The reasoning behind this move is somewhat speculative. The impact of share buybacks is one popular argument. Whatever the cause, confidence isn’t accompanying this rally.

Economic conditions deteriorating: Maybe market participants are still scorned from the market correction in 2018. A bitterness and cynicism stemming from that is understandable. Much of the frustration comes, it would seem, from a widespread recognition that this rally has come in the absence of solid fundamentals. On the contrary, if looking at the macro-outlook, there are more reasons to be bearish than bullish right now. Global growth is (almost) irrefutably slowing, and some of the geopolitical sore-points dictating sentiment, like Brexit and the US-China trade war, are showing little new signs of progress. A major factor keeping this rally alive in riskier assets, perhaps concerningly, is a little case of “fear of missing out”.
      • 0 replies