Sign in to follow this  

On Balance Volume (OBV) Indicator

@JamesIG,

Would it be possible for the 'On Balance Volume' (OBV) to be included on the IG platform?

For those on the IG Community that are not familiar with this signal then it is an indicator that measures the volume trend for the asset you are looking to trade. From a 'Trend Following' perspective after 'Price Action' in my opinion 'Volume' is the next most important indicator. It can be used to confirm trends based on price action by identifying whether these trends are based on high or low number of actual trades. Now for me if there are high number of trades during an upward trend then it supports the price action in determining the trend itself. If there were a low number of trades then I would be far more cautious. I like to see volume supporting price action when identifying trades. 

The best way I can explain OBV is that it really is a 'Momentum' indicator. I like to see momentum when identifying trends to trade.

Thanks for the suggestion. This has been requested a couple of times by our client base, however we don't have a road map or plan roll out for this at present due to other priorities and indicators. 

Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to comment on longer road maps for delivery such as this. Things also change due to a number of factors outside our control which can cause these plans to change. 

@TrendFollower

Not sure if it helps, but recently IG added 2 volume-based indicators to their offering: Volume-Weighted Moving Average and Ease of Movement.

Maybe that covers your strategy?

• Like 2

@GavinB,

I am aware of the Weighted Volume Moving Average but not seen the Ease of Movement indicator you are referring to. Is this on IG’s Spread Betting platform? I don’t recall this seeing this. 

@GavinB,

Apologies. I have just seen it. Yes I did not notice that. 

The two new indicators that I had not noticed are:

• Ease of Movement
  • Rate of Change (This may not be a new one but I have only noticed it

Thank you very much @GavinB for this. It is very much appreciated. Nice one. 👍

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Our picks

• Post in Indices
      "UK retail sales at 9:30 and US durable goods at 1:30. Strong bear day yesterday though only Nikkei tested key support levels." Stay up to date on how the indices are moving and have your say.
    • Post in Successful strategy?
      Analysis of 43 million trades by DailyFX showed that 61% of trades are actually profitable (when looking at EURUSD specifically). Read more about that and check out their Podcast here. Have any questions? Ask away.
        • Thanks
    • Brent Crude rally ends, time for the big Bear!
      "Looks to me like my question as to whether the the 25 April turn was a rally end or a simple retrace may have been answered as Brent price dropped hard through the supporting lower channel line.  I would like to see the recent lows broken to confirm but odds are that this market is now heading down.  Could this mean that Stocks have also topped out?"
      • 8 replies
    • Post in Dax & Dow
      What are your long term opinions on market movements? "As for the Dow above 26k lets rock and roll long. Below 25k time to get more aggressively short in my eyes."
    • Post in US 500 - Potential Shorting Opportunity
      What's your trigger for opening a trade? Discuss with others on the Community, specifically about the US500: "I think there's a potential possibility of shorting S&P 500 brewing.  I want to wait to see if the 20 MA does drop beneath the 50 MA."
  • Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    marcorosso13
    Joined 24/05/19 14:00
    • @TrendFollower, I've just spotted a mistake in your last post but don't worry, I've put my rubber boots on and gone in and fixed it for you. You're welcome.
    • A list of books on trading strategies with back test studies by reputable traders. Following the Trend – Andreas Clenow Unholy Grails – Nick Radge Dual Momentum – Gary Antonacci Mean Reversion Trading Systems – Howard Bandy Short-term trading strategies that work – Larry and Cesar Building Reliable Trading Systems – Keith F courtesy of Raynar Teo.   
    • 1 hour chart showing a bit of a nod to the downside.  Not conclusive yet but indicative.
    • @Mercury That's a very elaborate way to say, you agree with me. Your Elliot waves always look very cool and as ever great charts.
    • Brent looks to have put in a small rally and bounced back off my alternative channel line, a parallel line off the previous low turning point.  This coincides with support line, now resistance.  The market is now heading down to the 6600/6550 key support zone.  A break here is very bearish in my book.  I have started to pyramid his market.