Sign in to follow this  

Minimum consideration when buying shares at quote

Hi, 

This is a very basic question for nearly all of you, I am sure.

I am attempting to buy shares 'at quote'. The shares' total value is approx. £2k. The consideration is approx. £30. 

However, the trade is rejected on the following basis:

"Minimum Consideration - the consideration of your order is below the minimum allowed (£90)"

Please advise if the only basis on which I can buy these same shares is by buying 3x the value (£6k), therefore resulting in the minimum £90 consideration requirement being met?

Alternatively, should I consider buying 'on exchange' to avoid this?

Thank you

Matthew

Hi - the consideration of the shares purchase is the value of all shares as a net value, i.e. if you are buying 100 shares and each on is worth 200p (£2) then the consideration would be £200.

I suspect you are purchasing UK listed equities? Please note that these are quoted in pence, so a share price for Lloyds bank quote of 57 is 57p, not £57. Was this your issue? 

What stock are you trying to purchase? I can tell you the minimum number of shares required to buy to hit the £2k total value you are looking to get. 

Its possible you have entered to purchase the wrong quantity (amount of shares) and the quote is stating it only comes to £30 cost (£90 being the minimum IG require).  What was the stock you purchasing?

yeh lets take Lloyds as @JamesIG said - if you're quoted at 57p then you're £2000 trade (which is 200,000p) is simply 200,000 / 57 = 3508 rounded down. You should be able to purchase 3508 shares which has a consideration of around £2000 and will cost £8 commission :) 

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• IG ISA Season

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    MaxwellIG
    Joined 25/03/19 21:20
  • Our picks

• APAC brief 26 Mar
      Markets trade-off Friday overhang: Markets traded in something of a vacuum Monday. The themes driving price action were more-or-less those that had determined activity to end last week. The effects of this were pronounced in the Asian session, but much less so in Europe and North America. It stands to reason: Asian markets were still to digest Friday night’s abysmal European PMI figures. That data’s impact is still rippling through the market. Anxieties about global growth and the likelihood for a global recession is the topic of the day. But the material losses stemming from these concerns, though broad-based, have been limited overnight. Wall Street is down but bouncing; European stocks were down; while futures contracts for Asian markets are mixed.

Risk-off generally prevails: Fear is demonstrably higher. On balance, safety was generally sought on Monday. In something of a bittersweet development, the VIX has pulled of its lows, to trade above 16, as traders reprice volatility and risk. In the broader G10 currency complex, the Yen has been led the pack, though its rally has steadied, and it is currently shuffling around the 110-handle. Investment grade credit spreads have widened notably, as speculation about slower growth has fanned-fear regarding the massive US corporate debt burden. And finally, the overnight-drop in the US Dollar, combined with the ubiquitous disappearance of safe-yielding assets the world-over, has pushed gold prices to $US1322 per ounce.
      • 0 replies