Error when using Schopenhauer API wrapper with NodeJS

Guest JohnRC

Question

I am new to IG API so I may be making an elementary mistake.

I want to use the IG API interface into a Node-js application. I have tested my login and api key with the Streaming Companion and the API Companion and they work fine.

I have downloaded the Schopenhauer wrapper from GitHub and am trying out the example code given on the GitHub page, which is:

const IG = require('ig-markets');
const ig = new IG(key, identifier, password, isDemo);

try {
  const data = await ig.prices('CS.D.EURUSD.MINI.IP');
  console.log(data);
} catch(e) {
  console.error(e);
}

I tried the code verbatim with my login details and API key but this threw the error "await is invalid outside an async function", so I wrapped that code into a function declared as async with a call to the function like this:

const IG = require('ig-markets');
const ig = new IG(IG_API_KEY, IG_IDENTIFIER, IG_PASSWORD, IG_DEMO);

async function runx() {
    try {
        const data = await ig.prices('CS.D.EURUSD.MINI.IP');
        console.log(data);
    } catch(e) {
        console.error(e);
    }
}

runx();

Now it seems to run but throws this error:

TypeError [ERR_HTTP_INVALID_HEADER_VALUE]: Invalid value "undefined" for header "X-SECURITY-TOKEN"

So now I am unable to move forward. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

2 answers to this question

It seems that the example code given is wrong.

Firstly, the parameter IG_DEMO for the call to IG is not defined in the actual ig.js code, so the system attempts to login to the live account even when the IG_DEMO is set to true;

Secondly, the URLs for the IG live and demo accounts are hard-coded, even though this is deprecated in the IG coding guidelines.

Still testing....

Having had some difficulty in getting this code to work I am now switching to developing a separate set of wrappers, as I need to interface to both the Dealing and Streaming APIs. So I don't need the answer to this question for now. If anyone is interested in my analysis of the issues, happy to share.

Archived