Apple earnings release 29 Jan

DanielaIG

As Apple is set to release earnings tonight, it will be the first quarter that investors do not have sales reports on individual products before the release. This is because the company announced that it would not be delivering specific figures for iPhone, iPad and Mac sales for the quarter as they believe the number of iPhone sales “isn’t a representative of the underlying strength of our business” and that “a unit of sale is less relevant for us today than it was in the past, given the breadth of our portfolio and the wider sales price dispersion within any given product line.”

But we all know that when a company has sold a lot, they want to let the world know how well they have done, as said by Steve jobs himself “if a company is selling a lot of stuff, they want people to know about it. If they aren’t, then they don’t”. On top of that, it is no secret that iPhone sales were short of estimates in the previous quarter. Nevertheless, as the average price of an iPhone has increased, Apple’s profits are still being driven higher.

This leaves a wary sentiment about Apple’s earnings release. With a slowdown in sales offset by higher sale prices, and a general feeling that economies are slowing down growth, Apple’s Q4 earnings release is marked by the pre-announcement issued on Jan 2 where Apple reported it had missed expectations for the year due to a slowdown in sales in China.

As Apple shares suffered the weight of the slowdown and the subsequent downgrade from firms like Bank of America, could a lower expectation on the back of the Jan 2nd announcement mean that Apple can beat expectations?

Find out what founder and CEO of Pocket Lint Stuart Miles has to say about Apple’s earnings forecast as he is interviewed by IGTV presenter Victoria Scholar.

As always, leave your comments and ideas below!

• Like 2

theyre a great company but have really come to the very top of their growth stream for iPhone for the mid term i would think. There isnt anything exciting like there was before. People are getting pissed at having to stump up hundreds of dollars for a slight increase in their phone or Mac storage and stupid shitty cables and adapters. 

It is one massive behemoth of a company though. Subscription is the way of the world these days so its no suprise they're getting on board with this model more and more. 

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    Andrew-Wood
    Joined 21/10/21 15:01
    • I would love to know how you go. My understanding is that we are not allowed to buy directly. I saw that ETF on their exchange but I saw one mention of an index tracker somewhere but i cant find it. I saw that the brokerage in and out if we buy directly is more than 4%. It's a lot. Also, one of their big stocks just got suspended. It's high risk but it seems to be doing well. Exhange rates are going to be a bit of a risk too.
    • Anchoring bias What is anchoring bias in trading? Anchoring bias is the tendency for traders to allow an initial piece of information to have a disproportionate influence on future decisions, regardless of its relevance. For example, research by Kaustia, Alho and Puttonen showed that individual's estimates of stock returns were significantly influenced by the starting value they were given – the 'anchor'. When participants were given a high historical stock return they were more likely to estimate that the future return would also be high, while a group given a lower initial value had far lower estimates. Anchoring bias can have dangerous consequences in trading, as it might mean that a trader holds on to an asset far longer than they should do, or that they make an inaccurate assessment of an asset's worth based on the anchor value. How can traders prevent anchoring bias? The best way to prevent anchoring bias in trading is by performing comprehensive research and analysis of the market to identify your own anchor. IG's study showed that only 28% of traders and investors used personal experience as a source of information. But by doing your own analysis of macroeconomic trends and historical data, you will be better placed to identify key support and resistance levels. It is important to have confidence in your own plan before you look at someone else's estimates – whether this is an analyst or fellow trader. Things to keep in mind...
    • Guest Zaba
      Currently 2 platforms i am aware of. C-Trade https://ctrade.co.zw/ ZSE Direct https://zsedirect.co.zw/ I havent used ZSE yet, but i have set-up an account with C-Trade. It was pretty simple, but the platform is not great. You will need a Zim bank account to deposit funds. I have not started trading yet, but will do in the next couple of days. Happy to update you on my progress. In relation to index tracking. There is an Old Mutual ZSE Top-10 ETF that started trading earlier this year.  Hope this helps.