MT4 (not responding)

I thought to put together a self-help pack on solutions for the above problem. Though rare a non responding platform can be a real headache and is usually caused by one of 2 main problems. The first is the addition of a custom indicator that is not compatible with the build version of MT4 you are running or it may be that the indicator does not have a history look back limit and so the platform is trying to read too much. The second main cause is a build up of history over a long period of time that has to be read by the platform on each and every start up slowing down the platform over time and eventually leading to the 'not responding' notice.

We want to try to avoid a complete uninstall and reinstall and losing all our personal data, indicators and charts.

3 key points first;

1/ Make sure you have Templates made for your favourite chart layouts.

2/ Make sure you have a Profile saved of your complete MT4 setup.

3/ Have a copy of the Profile (click save profile again and give it a different name - My Profile 2. eg) This means that if you need to delete the whole profile from outside of the platform to get rid of the offending indicator you still have a backup copy. 

The first link covers Lagging, Freezes, Slowdowns, Chart lagging, Slow execution of orders, and how to optimise the platform.

https://admiralmarkets.com/education/articles/trading-software/how-to-optimise-the-mt4-platform

The second link is a video on how to delete the offending charts or profile from outside the platform using your computer's Task Manager.

The second video also looks at how to resolve a sluggish platform and performance optimisation.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      14/01/21 09:51

Newest Member
    ricman007
    Joined 14/05/21 17:00
    • By the way if its a system you want to demo or try, I trade US 500 and Russell Long only, with no stops, I would not trade with no stops for gold, oil etc but am happy to do it on US indices as nothing recovers as quickly as US markets, so if I am wrong i just hold it until it goes in profit again, when I am wrong I wait until market recovers, so sometimes when market has gone against me I have to wait 4 -8 weeks before it recovers but this way means no drawdowns only overnight currency charge which is minima. You need to trade wihin your accoutn to do this as you need to make sure your balance is big enough when you get it wrong. You could try it on IG demo account  to see if it worked for you.
    • Yes your balance needs to be above 0, that's your most important number don't fall into the trap of thinking if its above 0 you can put trades on, you can but your balance needs to be big enough that if they go against you, you are still above 0, if not you get messgage from IG to add funds to your account or IG will take you out of trades, so if you had a trade you wanted to keep on it would now be taken out as a loss as funds in balance are in minus. You need a big enough number left in the balance column that if your trades go against you you can still hold if you want to.
    • Now all Musk has to do is buy BTC again and re-ramp for another shed load of profit.....