Increase in funding costs

Justinian

I can't see a thread related to this issue. Maybe I was dreaming it, but I think I have seen sight of some funding changes put through by IG. It may not have attracted much attention.

Basically, in a nutshell, my understanding is that if you were trading US500 say in Sterling, any overnight positions would incur a cost of the Sterling Base rate plus IG's premium of 2.5%. I think that makes 3.25% per annum.

Now, I believe it says that you will be charged on that security at the "relevant interbank rate". Not the currency you are trading in but the domicile of the security. So US500 would bear the cost of the Fed rate 2.75% I think plus the IG premium of 2.5% making 5.25%. Or something like that.

Happy to be corrected on this understanding but that is pretty material if you are a position or swing trader and could, if one does not change one's method of trading lead to an increase in the % of traders who will lose money going forward.

I'm not sure of the justification re this. It is certainly an innovative move by IG versus the other spreadbet providers.

I would be interested to hear from others on this. Happy to be proven wrong on this or whether it be confirmed by IG posters?

• 1 month later...
Guest Alexio

Yep I've just noticed this. (shows how much attention I pay to what I'm being charged) 

Since early Feb, overnight charges on long s&p500 have essentially doubled for me. I've looked at the email they sent round early Feb about changes in margin and there's absolutely no mention of them now calculating it on the dollar base rate rather than the pound. 

Despite them claiming "transparent fees" I think they were hoping no one would notice. Essentially it is highway robbery. 

I will be opening an account with another provider this morning and they can kiss goodbye to all the fees I was paying. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • General Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

Newest Member
    PierreDuvall
    Joined 09/12/21 12:58
    • If its going to work there's not too much faffing, it'll faff if the 50% level is not working - which is happening right now on GOLD On the daily chart a stop of 25 points for the SP500 is fine
    • Yeah had fairly tight stop and it was a bit choppy so got knocked out. Uncorrelated methods will work together as you say. 50% levels will work while the trend is still on but when/if that stops so does the method I would imagine and you have to do something different.
    • EUR/USD rallies as GBP/USD and USD/JPY struggle A break higher for EUR/USD contrasts with continued weakness for GBP/USD and USD/JPY. Source: Bloomberg ¬† Forex¬†United States dollar¬†EUR/USD¬†Euro¬†USD/JPY¬†GBP/USD ¬†Chris Beauchamp¬†|¬†Chief Market Analyst,¬†London¬†| Publication date:¬†Thursday 09 December 2021 EUR/USD breaks resistance EUR/USD¬†has succeeded in breaking higher, pushing above trendline resistance yesterday. Gains however have stalled for now at $1.133, as they did at the beginning of the month. Broader upside would require a move above $1.135, but the longer-term downtrend remains in place. Source: ProRealTime GBP/USD continues to struggle Unlike EUR/USD¬†GBP/USD¬†remains under pressure, hit by changing expectations of a UK rate hike and the return to some¬†Covid-19¬†restrictions. The yawning gap between the price and the 50-day simple moving average (SMA) above $1.35 refuses to close, and so far there looks like no sign of a move to the upside, which would require at least a move back towards $1.33. Source: ProRealTime USD/JPY edges lower Gains with¬†USD/JPY¬†have stalled at ¬•113.60, as the price retreats back below the 50-day SMA. This drop will need to move below ¬•113.00 to indicate the sellers are back in control. Alternately, the bullish view is revived with a move back above ¬•113.80. Source: ProRealTime