US ETF: Your order has been rejected.

rwolst

I am trying to invest from a share dealing account into an ETF which has its price in dollars. I currently only have GBP on my account. When I try to make the order I get an error, 'Your order has been rejected.' There is no further information.

How do I go about solving this issue?

On 15/02/2019 at 10:57, DanielaIG said:

Hi @rwolst, due to new regulations that came in to force,  we can no longer offer most US ETFs to retail clients in ESMA regulated countries. This is probably the reason as to why your orders are getting rejected.

Is there a list where we can find which US ETFs are offered or not?

On 14/02/2019 at 04:51, rwolst said:

I am trying to invest from a share dealing account into an ETF which has its price in dollars. I currently only have GBP on my account. When I try to make the order I get an error, 'Your order has been rejected.' There is no further information.

How do I go about solving this issue?

I tried to explore ETF too,  normal thing that consider to make it successful trade are:

1. sufficient capital in your funds to trade

2. correct condition in buying, or selling of ETF (buying: stop loss is lower than current price level, selling: stop loss is higher than current level)

3. follow the steps: Deal--> Buy/Sell --> Size --> stop loss --> profit limit --> trade (force open/net off) --> place deal when market is open. 

4. Ensure that the market you are trading is still open during trading hours.

Note that incur commission with the broker on each trade you place..so make careful study on each ETF trade you make. Its different from forex where trade can be free of commission.  

• 4 months later...

I also got rejection messages when trying to purchase dollar denominated ETFs with two other UK brokers.

I concluded that only ETFs with "UCITS" in the name are available from UK brokers. Fortunately, I managed to find a broker in the US who would accept me (even though I had no connection with the US).

The problem is that the EU considers ETFs to be "Collective Investments", requiring special regulation and approval. Such approved ETFs must have "UCITS ETF" in the name, while the use of those letters by non-approved ETFs is not allowed. Hence using https://etfscreener.ig.com and the advanced filter "UCITS" lists only UK eligible ETFs.

https://www.handbook.fca.org.uk/handbook/COLL/6/9.html lists these regulations.