Trailing Losses

Question

Although I have this turned on it doesn’t appear to give me that option, is there something more I have to do to use this function?

10 answers to this question

@Dantro,, it might depend on which platform and which asset, for shares for example IG seems to prefer to offer only  the types of orders which are available on the actual exchange. For DFB and CFDs though trailing stops should be on offer on the deal ticket, on the order ticket it is not offered initially but once the position is opened then you should be able to change the stop loss (both amount and type) from the 'Positions' tab on the left side of the screen.

I was going to post a picture from a demo trade I just opened on bitcoin by way of an example but the platform for some reason is not showing it in positions nor will it let me close it. :/ 

I’m on spreadbetting and on the deal sheet or orders it only allows none, normal and guaranteed. 

@Dantro & @Dantro,

Apologies but there are x2 Dantro's coming up when using the @ sign. 

I am not sure which country you are from as there may be different functionality on IG platforms throughout different jurisdictions around the world. 

I am from the UK and operate on IG's platform in the UK. I have just checked my UK Spreadbetting account and I get three options on stop losses which are:

• Normal
  • Guaranteed
  • Trailing

So trailing is def. an option on IG's UK Spreadbetting platform. I would not want to trade trends without it.

16 hours ago, TrendFollower said:

@Dantro & @Dantro,

Apologies but there are x2 Dantro's coming up when using the @ sign. 

I am not sure which country you are from as there may be different functionality on IG platforms throughout different jurisdictions around the world. 

I am from the UK and operate on IG's platform in the UK. I have just checked my UK Spreadbetting account and I get three options on stop losses which are:

• Normal
  • Guaranteed
  • Trailing

So trailing is def. an option on IG's UK Spreadbetting platform. I would not want to trade trends without it.

UK based myself as well, using PRT I get trailing stops but using the new IG platform I don’t seem to get trailing.

Strange how I can on one but not the other, haven’t had chance to test it yet as I’m still not managing to shake off my losing streak ☺️

2 hours ago, TrendFollower said:

@Dantro & @Dantro,

So you are from the UK too. Yes it is strange and yet another example of a 'quirk' from IG!

I am indeed in the SW, yes I have learnt now not to trade from my phone or on the IG platform but use PRT. If I set up trailing stops on there they then show as trailing on the IG app, but still can’t set them up on the app.

2 hours ago, TrendFollower said:

@Dantro & @Dantro,

Do you trade via IG's shares platform, CFD platform or Spread Betting platform?

Spread betting platform