Jump to content
  • 0

" You cannot sell this market to open" ?

Question

I've been seeing this whilst trying to go short on certain stocks but I haven't been able to figure out why this message pops up?
It usually happens with stocks that already have a high amount of short-interest on them.

But even if that is the case, why is IG not letting one short these stocks?

Share this post


Link to post

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

@zala,

I have seen this message numerous times on IG's UK Spread Betting platform. I see it the most on Cryptocurrencies and Commodities. I have been advised the answer but I cannot recall it at this moment. I think it may have something to do with 'Demand' and 'Liquidity' for the particular asset. IG have to manage their risk on that asset. 

I recall asking this question several times a couple of years ago and IG did respond so that answer is somewhere already within IG's Community Forum. My guess is that it will be one of the earlier Cryptocurrency threads.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
17 hours ago, zala said:

I've been seeing this whilst trying to go short on certain stocks but I haven't been able to figure out why this message pops up?
It usually happens with stocks that already have a high amount of short-interest on them.

But even if that is the case, why is IG not letting one short these stocks?

@zala, in order to sell to open you must first be able to borrow the asset. What the 'you cannot sell this market to open' message means is that IG can't find anyone who will allow you to borrow it in the first place.

A similar message you may see is 'this market is unborrowable', meaning there is no liquidity to lend the asset to you for you to open a short (sell) trade.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
On 10/03/2019 at 15:07, Caseynotes said:

@zala, in order to sell to open you must first be able to borrow the asset. What the 'you cannot sell this market to open' message means is that IG can't find anyone who will allow you to borrow it in the first place.

A similar message you may see is 'this market is unborrowable', meaning there is no liquidity to lend the asset to you for you to open a short (sell) trade.

Yes, I found their excel-spreadsheet marking which stocks are possible to short and those not.
However I still don't get why I sometimes get "order rejected" on stocks that are both longable and shortable.

Any ideas?

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

@zala,  the spreadsheet only covers stocks that are listed long term as 'no sell to open' but it may also occur suddenly on high one way volatility on any asset for a short duration of say a couple of days right down to just a couple of minutes. 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0

But if a spread bet doesn't actually require owning the underlying asset that you bet on why is it still not always possible to short sell certain AIM stocks via spread bets? Is the reason simply that unborrowable stocks are too risky to allow spread bets? Thanks to anyone who can shine some light on this! 

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
7 hours ago, Treehouseman said:

But if a spread bet doesn't actually require owning the underlying asset that you bet on why is it still not always possible to short sell certain AIM stocks via spread bets? Is the reason simply that unborrowable stocks are too risky to allow spread bets? Thanks to anyone who can shine some light on this! 

Hi, because a cfd is still a contract and to trade it IG need to find you a counter party, to short it IG first need to find someone to lend it to you and then find you a counter party to trade with. If no one is willing to lend it to you in order for you to short it (sell it) it is said to be unborrowable.

Share this post


Link to post
  • 0
10 hours ago, Treehouseman said:

But if a spread bet doesn't actually require owning the underlying asset that you bet on why is it still not always possible to short sell certain AIM stocks via spread bets? Is the reason simply that unborrowable stocks are too risky to allow spread bets? Thanks to anyone who can shine some light on this! 

At it's most basic level (with a caveat that this is an indicator for educational purposes and there are more complexities such as internal risk limits etc) if you were to short £1/pt of a UK listed company, and you were the only one who was looking to short that company on the IG platform, IG would look to go to market to short 100 shares in that company and hedge your position. 

IG offer you the opportunity to not own the underlying shares, however we do not bet against you and therefore would hedge your trade in the underlying market. 

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Member Statistics

    • Total Topics
      7,257
    • Total Posts
      35,993
    • Total Members
      46,008
    Newest Member
    b3t0rd4nu
    Joined 20/08/19 16:21
  • Posts

    • I'm sorry but I cannot rise to that bait. No comment
    • That may depend on which market you are referring to when you say "the market".  Agri commodities basically seem to move in ranges but within those ranges they may move in broad 5s or 3s.  As for FX, Indices and metals I have found that they do conform to the basics.  Don't know what you mean by "except when it doesn't", could you be looking at it incorrectly?  Maybe you could give us an example...
    • lol. Which ones?  EWT is full of them.  I have tried half a dozen times to read Prechter and Frost's book and I still only understand a tiny fraction of it.  The basic gist seems to be, the market moves in 5-3-5 waves - except when it doesn't.
×
×