Sign in to follow this  

" You cannot sell this market to open" ?

Question

I've been seeing this whilst trying to go short on certain stocks but I haven't been able to figure out why this message pops up?
It usually happens with stocks that already have a high amount of short-interest on them.

But even if that is the case, why is IG not letting one short these stocks?

4 answers to this question

@zala,

I have seen this message numerous times on IG's UK Spread Betting platform. I see it the most on Cryptocurrencies and Commodities. I have been advised the answer but I cannot recall it at this moment. I think it may have something to do with 'Demand' and 'Liquidity' for the particular asset. IG have to manage their risk on that asset. 

I recall asking this question several times a couple of years ago and IG did respond so that answer is somewhere already within IG's Community Forum. My guess is that it will be one of the earlier Cryptocurrency threads.

17 hours ago, zala said:

I've been seeing this whilst trying to go short on certain stocks but I haven't been able to figure out why this message pops up?
It usually happens with stocks that already have a high amount of short-interest on them.

But even if that is the case, why is IG not letting one short these stocks?

@zala, in order to sell to open you must first be able to borrow the asset. What the 'you cannot sell this market to open' message means is that IG can't find anyone who will allow you to borrow it in the first place.

A similar message you may see is 'this market is unborrowable', meaning there is no liquidity to lend the asset to you for you to open a short (sell) trade.

On 10/03/2019 at 15:07, Caseynotes said:

@zala, in order to sell to open you must first be able to borrow the asset. What the 'you cannot sell this market to open' message means is that IG can't find anyone who will allow you to borrow it in the first place.

A similar message you may see is 'this market is unborrowable', meaning there is no liquidity to lend the asset to you for you to open a short (sell) trade.

Yes, I found their excel-spreadsheet marking which stocks are possible to short and those not.
However I still don't get why I sometimes get "order rejected" on stocks that are both longable and shortable.

Any ideas?

@zala,  the spreadsheet only covers stocks that are listed long term as 'no sell to open' but it may also occur suddenly on high one way volatility on any asset for a short duration of say a couple of days right down to just a couple of minutes.