Trailing Stop Loss for beginners

Thanks to @Mercury last week, I realised I needed to learn how to do stop losses.

While I wrote of the virtues of jumping from a demo to a live account on this forum, I now see this is one thing I DEFINITELY should've of nailed before making the leap.

So... from what I see the best option for this is the Trailing Stop Loss -- take your profits while you can. 

Finally, my question: can I set a trailing stop loss on an already open position? Say I want to place a bet quickly but don't have time to work out the math using ATR.

Any advice would be most grateful. 🍻

• Like 1

Hi @eloronz yes you can place a auto trailing stop on a open position, just go to the positions tab, click on the Stop box the select the arrow for Trailing stop (top pic).

Or you can manually trail a stop as in the bottom pic by moving the stop to just under the higher low after price has pushed up through the higher high.

image.thumb.png.5bd90892857e9e30cb587707d53f0ffa.png

image.png.830854df76b5811bc19e6868924fef03.png

• Like 1

A couple of videos which you may find useful...

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    Jeremyv
    Joined 18/09/19 05:30
    • Overnight Indices down Bonds up, USD flat Gold up. H4 Chart US 30y Treasury note up slightly this week after drifting down for the 2 weeks prior. UK and EU CPI data but it's all about the Fed today, 7pm, presser at 7:30.. Check out Dailyfx's summary on how interest rate cuts affect the different markets from the link below. https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/fundamental/article/special_report/2019/09/17/how-gold-oil-stocks-usd-perform-after-fomc-rate-cuts-start.html
    • I have a new account with IG, and I want to trade in stocks using DMA facility, Is there any minimum deposit I need to make into my account, so that i can use this facility? Or i just need sufficient balance so that my trade get filled?
    • Dow looking to break out up over the pivot on the US close having been restricted all day is very bullish. H1 charts;