Sign in to follow this  

IG Daily Options

Posted (edited)

Hello,

selling daily options is a good strategy to gain?

What are your opinions?

Many Thanks

Edited by maurizio999

I would also like to hear more about options, it isn't very well explained (hence I am thinking it is aimed at professionals only) and I don't understand the approach IG takes of demanding that you spread bet on options since surely the only reason people go for options in the first place (vs SB or CFD) is to limit losses to the premium.  The available options are woefully inadequate and there's no way to take out stock options except to phone the dealing desk apparently.  It all seems like it's totally closed off from individual investors.

18 hours ago, maurizio999 said:

Hello,

selling daily options is a good strategy to gain?

What are your opinions?

Many Thanks

What happens if the underlying asset moves 2% or more and volatility increase during the day?

The problem with selling options is that you cant add a stop (and limit) but you can hedge by buying or selling the underlying asset

But in the long run (the bank always win) and if you dont blow your account you probably make a profit?

Posted (edited)

If you buy options you need to have an edge and buy if you think the price goes up or sell if you expect the price to go down

And you need also add time to the analysis (because of the options time decay) and choose the best option

If the option expire before the move take place you dont make any money even if you are right in the direction

But for example if you think the market goes up  you can buy an option and wait and no worry about stops and other things (except time decay), you know the max loss when open the position 

The spread is wider but margin = max loss (optionsprice)

Demo account as always a good place to start

Edited by Kodiak

19 hours ago, dmedin said:

I would also like to hear more about options, it isn't very well explained (hence I am thinking it is aimed at professionals only) and I don't understand the approach IG takes of demanding that you spread bet on options since surely the only reason people go for options in the first place (vs SB or CFD) is to limit losses to the premium.  The available options are woefully inadequate and there's no way to take out stock options except to phone the dealing desk apparently.  It all seems like it's totally closed off from individual investors.

How else would they do it? It’s a spread betting platform after all. 

Would like to see shares options on the platform. That would be funky.

7 minutes ago, PandaFace said:

How else would they do it? It’s a spread betting platform after all. 

Would like to see shares options on the platform. That would be funky.

Me too ... proper options.

They aren't just a SB/CFD provider.  They do traditional share dealing too.  Just not traditional options.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Our picks

• Post in Indices
      "UK retail sales at 9:30 and US durable goods at 1:30. Strong bear day yesterday though only Nikkei tested key support levels." Stay up to date on how the indices are moving and have your say.
    • Post in Successful strategy?
      Analysis of 43 million trades by DailyFX showed that 61% of trades are actually profitable (when looking at EURUSD specifically). Read more about that and check out their Podcast here. Have any questions? Ask away.
        • Thanks
    • Brent Crude rally ends, time for the big Bear!
      "Looks to me like my question as to whether the the 25 April turn was a rally end or a simple retrace may have been answered as Brent price dropped hard through the supporting lower channel line.  I would like to see the recent lows broken to confirm but odds are that this market is now heading down.  Could this mean that Stocks have also topped out?"
      • 7 replies
    • Post in Dax & Dow
      What are your long term opinions on market movements? "As for the Dow above 26k lets rock and roll long. Below 25k time to get more aggressively short in my eyes."
    • Post in US 500 - Potential Shorting Opportunity
      What's your trigger for opening a trade? Discuss with others on the Community, specifically about the US500: "I think there's a potential possibility of shorting S&P 500 brewing.  I want to wait to see if the 20 MA does drop beneath the 50 MA."
  • Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    John_Mac
    Joined 24/05/19 11:56
    • End of May sees the end of May. You missed a trick there. 
    • After the check at the pivot dax moved on to tag R1, currently back to join dow mid way between pivot and R1 awaiting the US market open. May be a tame Friday afternoon and into US market close as it's a public holiday in the US on Monday as well as UK.
    • You may well be right @786Trader there are a lot of fundamentals based theories around so yours is as good as anyone's.  My hypothesis is not based on Oil fundamentals but can be summed up in 2 words: Deflationary Depression. Regarding the Dow, this attached is my long term view.  
    • @ mindthegap Did not agree with much of the  linked you tube video. Thought he was full of it to be honest. BS with a sprinkling of useful truth.  He may have been to Asia but completely failed to understand them. Foxconn make Apple devices in China because there is no way Apple could make them as well, as quick or as cheaply in the US or even Mexico. For example. So either prices go up or Apples margins go right down. Plus everyone is paying more for anything made in china, including simple items like shoes. Not inflationary at all. Ever considered China may do to Apple what Trump has done to Huawei. Trump is a bull in China's shop. And we will all have to pick up the tab.