Sign in to follow this  

Monetisation of IG Community

@JamesIG,

I have mentioned this before but I think the time has truly come where if one is going to spend considerable time, effort and energy in participating, adding value, contributing and sharing on the IG Community thus enhancing it then the Esteemed Contributors must be able to monetise their huge efforts.

These Esteemed Contributors will have built up followers and will continue to increase their followers. They will have many visitors reading their profiles and their community reputation will continue increasing as will their content count. This has to be monetised in some form. 

Now whether this is in FIAT currency or some form of IG Coin / IG Token which can be converted into FIAT currency only on IG's platform to be traded is up to IG. It may have a better solution but something needs to happen. 

Can you please take this request higher up within IG to see if this can be considered seriously. 

@TrendFollower

@PandaFace,

Not many, in fact none. 

Now dear friend (as you called me Pal), 

I have been a  very active contributor on the IG Community for at least two years plus now. It takes up a lot of time. I accept it is my choice and no one if forcing me. Over time many have visited my profile, a few have began to follow me and many have sent me private messages via the IG platform. Responding takes time. I work for a living and am an investor. Trading is something I do on the side. 

I do share latest news that I think is relevant to the threads I have created via links. I remember other traders on the IG Community asking me to post links and share links so that they could see where I was getting my information from. I am more than happy to share as I appreciate some may not be aware or have the time to find and research certain things.

However, if you look back over a two year period then I have identified and shared strong trending assets, potential trading ideas, given my input and time on Blockchain, Cryptocurrencies, etc. I have written many detailed posts which I am sure @JamesIG will agree. I played a part in suggesting setting up a Blockchain / Cryptocurrency section so that the threads and posts could be separated.

If you do not ask then you do not get. There is absolutely no harm in asking. If the answer from IG is no then that is fine. I can then make a decision on whether I wish to continue dedicating any further time on IG Community or not. I have many other things which I could do (opportunity cost) with the time spent on IG Community.

Let us see what answer IG comes back with and the reasoning they provide. For your information there are other platforms which do actually monetise content but it is not appropriate for me to state them here. I am sure if you research on the internet hard enough you will find out who they are and how they offer (methodology) monetisation for content. There are strict criteria of course.

@backwardation,

I don't think I would either in the present state. LOL 😂

However, right now some of us active members on the IG Community are doing free work for IG. We are encouraging discussion, debate, potential trading ideas, etc. We are encouraging either directly or indirectly trading of certain assets or instruments. So IG are winning as they get all the extra traction through their platform and they ultimately benefit by people trading more. 

We all give our valuable time, energy and effort on the IG Community and get little reward in return apart from the joy of helping others. This help is an indirect form of customer service meaning IG potentially have to employ less IG Customer Service Representatives, or hire them for less hours meaning a cost saving to them. The IG Community are answering a lot of queries and questions and only where they cannot assist are IG Staff getting involved. This saves their time also hence IG staff benefit in all this too.

I like the idea of IG being proactive and rewarding its members with the IG Coin which could be a tokenised asset. It can only be redeemed for equivalent FIAT currency to be used only on IG's platform for trading purposes. Lots of trading platforms offer £50.00 or whatever when a new customer opens an account. IG would need to set the exchange rate so that it is clear what the worth in FIAT currency is for x1 IG Coin. The IG Coin could only be rewarded by IG Staff to ensure it is fair, impartial and not just based on likes from others on the IG Community or based on quantity of posts.

Right now if someone writes three words, someone else can come in and give them a like which makes the whole 'likes' thing pretty much meaningless. If I have 100 likes it does not mean I have posted 100 quality posts. What is the value of the likes? IG would argue that people who have found posts helpful and informative have given likes. Yes that may be true on many occasions. However, I have seen numerous times, likes being given for ridiculous things which really decreases the value in my personal opinion. 

9 hours ago, backwardation said:

I wouldn't pay for any of this.  #Fintwit is where its at, but you have to be extra choosey.

Am I losing out by refusing to use Twitter?  I detest social media.

@dmedin,

Without checking I do not know if there are any jobs going at IG but I would not be surprised if you looked on the internet job searches then there may well be vacancies they are trying to fill. Also you may want to check on LinkedIn. 

I do not think you are losing out by refusing to use Twitter. I am not on any social media myself. The IG Community is the closest I come to social media!

• Like 1

Hi folks - at present there are no plans RE: monetisation of the Community. 

15 hours ago, dmedin said:

Are there any jobs going at IG?

Careers at IG can be found on our group website: https://www.iggroup.com/careers

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, JamesIG said:

Careers at IG can be found on our group website: https://www.iggroup.com/careers

Very nice.  I will hold on to my impossible dream of becoming a successful stay-at-home trader ... :D

Social trading/mirror trading is not new and were tried by a number of brokers for a while but fell out of favour for a number of reasons.

A particular trader would gain good results and a good following with a particular market strategy but would fall off a cliff when market conditions changed taking their followers with them. Good short term results were inevitably sunk by big losses as the trader fell off the leader board.

The bigger problem was conflict of interest for the broker as money was paid to a trader who helped churn business for the broker, some smaller firms were hauled in for questioning and the whole social trading game fell into disrepute. Oanda was the most recent broker to completely abandon it a year or so ago.   

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

A particular trader would gain good results and a good following with a particular market strategy but would fall off a cliff when market conditions changed taking their followers with them. Good short term results were inevitably sunk by big losses

Isn't that what always happens anyway?  :D

1 minute ago, dmedin said:

Isn't that what always happens anyway?  :D

True, but then you would have some one else to blame, the other trader and the broker. You could get a civil action law suit going for compensation 😉

• Great! 1

What the ****??, It would become nothing but a shitshow like exactly what happened to eToro with the latest in **** tokens. If this happens I would definitely leave IG and that's a shame because I would have to put considerable amount of work into rewriting alot of my code. Shame but alas it's up to IG at the end of the day it's their business. 

2 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Social trading/mirror trading is not new and were tried by a number of brokers for a while but fell out of favour for a number of reasons.

A particular trader would gain good results and a good following with a particular market strategy but would fall off a cliff when market conditions changed taking their followers with them. Good short term results were inevitably sunk by big losses as the trader fell off the leader board.

The bigger problem was conflict of interest for the broker as money was paid to a trader who helped churn business for the broker, some smaller firms were hauled in for questioning and the whole social trading game fell into disrepute. Oanda was the most recent broker to completely abandon it a year or so ago.   

You said it with less swear words than me. Well put. 

19 hours ago, dmedin said:

Am I losing out by refusing to use Twitter?  I detest social media.

of course you're losing out, how couldn't you be? Twitter doesn't have to be a two way thing, there are plenty of people that simply have a list of names they follow and never actually post anything themselves. Try googling the author of a trading book you like, you'll probably find they are tweeting interesting stuff, links to podcasts etc on a regular basis. 

• Like 1

Happy for people to pay me to show them :D  Ju

Just need your card details lol

1812436448_IGsample.thumb.jpg.d1831100784e1f42d1ca74cd31fafa9a.jpg

Top Gold Forum (3.) is particularly relevant.

https://monetize.info/how-to-start-a-forum-and-make-money/

Even though I am active and 'Esteemed Contributor' as defined by IG, I do feel at times being used by IG though they are not forcing me to write anything on the IG Community and nor am I obliged to do so. It is my choice which is what makes it even more frustrating that IG are not monetising any content. I am not saying that it should be my content. It can be any of your content if it meets the strict quality guidelines and definition which is devised by IG. 

This next link is of specific interest.

How to make money online without investing

https://blog.travelpayouts.com/en/how-to-make-money-online-without-investing/

Now I accept these links could be utter garbage so I am not endorsing the two links I have included here. But it does make one think of the potential opportunities out there. However, why would IG pay any of it's IG Community when they are happy to spend hours upon hours participating for FREE!

• Sad 1