Sign in to follow this  

Crypto and the abstract.

Ironic, perhaps that this time the market shakes and falls (equities and commodities) that the new trend for growth is more bizarre and abstract: Crypto. Something that exists only in the ether (pardon the pun), is not tangible or even easy to spend and only exists in code in the cloud. So as the markets wobble and bend in the world of men, the best investment right now is one that is not real. How does that make sense? I must be old fashioned, believing money represents time and energy exchange for the real, and such energy should not be stored but needs to keep moving, the physical manifestation being cold hard cash, exchanged for commodities, goods or services. But I am still having difficulty with concept Crypto, barring it being a wheeze to generate instant virtual currency as substitute for the physical paper stuff, just much more of it, without the backing of ,say ,Gold.

Am I making sense? I find myself trading on something that exists essentially only in the abstract, yet has value because we put a price on it, but the it of itself only lives in the virtual. I was wandering if this is more symptomatic of the general madness that seems to be afflicting our planet and minds here in 21st century or if it's just me.

@786Trader,

Rather than repeating myself here, you may wish to consider looking at some of my threads on the Cryptocurrencies / Blockchain forum. For example my Blockchain Trilogy thread, Bitcoin Digital Gold thread, etc. You may gather some really interesting snippets of information which may help you to appreciate and better understand the Cryptocurrency Asset Class. 

• Thanks 1

Interesting. I wonder if you’d have said the same thing when “money” itself as a concept would have come about?

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    nkamira
    Joined 25/06/19 23:48
    • Perhaps even less stellar is that none of the essential "Greeks", except for Implied Volatility, are published for any Options on Indexes and Commodities. Options are therefore impossible to price in order to judge "fair value" using any of the traditional metrics. Also since "Theta" is missing one has no idea of the time decay in valuation etc. etc... An account with a futures broker seems the only way if one is serious about Index or Commodity options. I also have an account with Nabtrade, which allows buying calls and puts, as well as writing covered calls for many individual shares but does not allow writing puts, covered or otherwise. What's a punter to do I ask you...?
    • I joined IG  to trade Options chains. and when i enquired i was told i could do this on the Spread Betting platform.  No mention of  needing to telephone in - feel both surprised and disappointed. most likely will close ac. as do not understand why this information was not mentioned
    • Visa are beginning to flex their muscles in relation to tokenisation. This article has just been released. Visa Buys Rambus Payments To Tokenize Any Transaction On Any Network https://www.pymnts.com/visa/2019/visa-buys-rambus-payments-to-tokenize-any-transaction-on-any-network/