Confused about Stops

Guest CABBAGETREEPALM

Guest CABBAGETREEPALM

I need some advice re: Stops when buying an ETF

I am planning on keeping my ETF for the long term.

The current price is 140.6900 

It is telling me that I have to do enter a stop distance greater than 1407.0

I'M confused as I thought the stop distance had to be less than the current price.

If anyone could offer advice, It'd be much appreciated

Kind Regards

1 hour ago, CABBAGETREEPALM said:

I need some advice re: Stops when buying an ETF

I am planning on keeping my ETF for the long term.

The current price is 140.6900 

It is telling me that I have to do enter a stop distance greater than 1407.0

I'M confused as I thought the stop distance had to be less than the current price.

If anyone could offer advice, It'd be much appreciated

Kind Regards

Hi @CABBAGETREEPALM,  yes the stop distance should be lower when buying, not sure which etf you are looking at but am presuming you are on the spread bet or cfd platform, in the example below on the order ticket once you have clicked Buy > entered size > entered entry price, then the platform should say what is the min stop level, how much is risked and the margin requirement.

Also, if you are looking to hold for a longer period check to consider buying the Forward rather than the Cash to avoid the daily 'overnight funding' charges.

image.thumb.png.9fec13d2383004f0b68dd36485f30835.png

Guest CABBAGETREEPALM

Hi

Thanks for the reply...this is my screenshot if I go 40 lower...so, is this correct? so I need to put in a greater number than 1407.0? This number seems a lot higher, not lower...it is also says the minimum is 10%, so that would be 126.6900, right?

Also, my buying platform is slightly different than any other platforms that I have watched, so whatever tutorial I watch doesn't totally apply to mine.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20190601-192005.jpg

25 minutes ago, CABBAGETREEPALM said:

Thanks for the reply...this is my screenshot if I go 40 lower...so, is this correct? so I need to put in a greater number than 1407.0? This number seems a lot higher, not lower...it is also says the minimum is 10%, so that would be 126.6900, right?

Ok, I can't find that one on my SB live or cfd demo UK offering but a couple of things, there is no spread between the buy and sell price because the market is closed so the deal ticket (New Trade) won't be working properly, it can't tell the diff between buy and sell or lower and higher. You won't be able to place a trade on the 'New Trade' ticket untill market open Monday morning. You could try it on the 'New Order' ticket instead where the order will sit waiting for market open, it looks like it's asking for a stop price rather than the number of points away.

Not every offering has the option of a Forward (Futures) contract as well as a Cash contract, you would need to look at the chart as per my pic.

That looks live rather than demo, are you sure you want to dive straight in? might be worth placing a few practice trades first just to get the hang of the platform.

Guest CABBAGETREEPALM

Caseynotes...much appreciated for your time.

I've tried in the 'New Trade' & 'New Order'...but had the same results!

I've also tried to do it in the demo, but it wouldn't let me trade ETFs...I will get in contact with Customer Service

Thanks again for the advice! Have a great day!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • image.png

• ASX: COLES GROUP LIMITED. – COL Elliott Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (1D Chart) Greetings, Our Elliott Wave analysis today updates the Australian Stock Exchange (ASX) with COLES GROUP LIMITED. – COL. In our ASX Stocks Top 50 forecast service, we have accurately forecast a price decline from a high of around 17.15 down to around 16.00 at the current low. And we are now identifying COL could move higher in the short term outlook. ASX: COLES GROUP LIMITED. – COL Elliott Wave Technical Analysis   ASX: COLES GROUP LIMITED. – COL 1D Chart (Semilog Scale) Analysis Function: Counter trend (Minute degree, green) Mode: Corrective Structure: Double Zigzag Position: Wave (b)-purple of Wave ((y))-green Latest forecast: Accurate forecast Details: The short-term outlook indicates that wave ((y))-green is unfolding as a Zigzag, and wave (a)-purple has ended. Therefore, wave (b)-purple is expected to continue pushing lower, seeking support around 16.01 - 15.71 before wave (c)-purple returns to rise higher. Pushing higher off 17.15 would renew the bull market view. Invalidation point: 15.35       ASX: COLES GROUP LIMITED. – COL Elliott Wave Technical Analysis TradingLounge (4-Hour Chart) ASX: COLES GROUP LIMITED. – COL Elliott Wave Technical Analysis ASX: COLES GROUP LIMITED. – COL 4-Hour Chart Analysis Function: Counter trend (Minute degree, green) Mode: Motive Structure: Impulse Position: Wave (c)-purple of Wave ((y))-green Details: The shorter-term outlook suggests it appears the (b)-purple wave has bottomed, but a move higher than level 16.5 is needed to confirm this outlook. If this forecast is correct, wave (c)-purple will be opened to continue pushing higher, aiming for higher targets. Invalidation point: 15.37     Conclusion:   Our analysis, forecast of contextual trends, and short-term outlook for ASX: COLES GROUP LIMITED. – COL aim to provide readers with insights into the current market trends and how to capitalize on them effectively. We offer specific price points that act as validation or invalidation signals for our wave count, enhancing the confidence in our perspective. By combining these factors, we strive to offer readers the most objective and professional perspective on market trends.   Technical Analyst: Hua (Shane) Cuong, CEWA-M (Master’s Designation). Source : Tradinglounge.com get trial here!  
    • Mathews Darcy mentioned that the quarterly production report released by BHP Group recently showed strong performance in copper and iron ore businesses, but adverse weather conditions affected coal production. Despite the upward trends in copper and iron ore prices, the market response to the stock price of BHP was relatively subdued. This article will delve into the analysis of the quarterly report of BHP Group and discuss its impact on the stock market and the reactions of investors. Quarterly Performance and Market Response Mathews Darcy pointed out that despite price increases in copper and iron ore on Wednesday, the stock price of BHP only saw a slight growth after the quarterly report release, reflecting the tepid response of investors to the report. Particularly noteworthy is the decline in the stock price of BHP amidst significant overnight increases in copper and nickel prices and iron ore prices maintaining a six-week high. Additionally, Mathews Darcy noted that major brokerage firms have begun adjusting their ratings and price targets for BHP based on the latest quarterly data. Several brokerage reports indicate that despite strong demand for copper and iron ore, the overall performance of BHP did not meet market expectations, possibly due to production constraints in its coal division. Investment Strategies and Future Outlook Mathews Darcy advised that when considering BHP stock, investors should carefully analyze the performance of its various divisions and future market prospects. While price fluctuations in mineral resources offer profit opportunities for BHP, investors should also be aware of the potential impact of price fluctuations on company performance. Furthermore, paying attention to brokerage research reports and rating updates will help investors better understand market dynamics and potential investment risks. Mathews Darcy also emphasized the importance of diversified investments, especially in an industry facing price volatility and geopolitical risks. Diversifying investments among different resource stocks can effectively reduce the impact of single market fluctuations on the investment portfolio.
    • Gonna participate! Personally, I'm DCAing in this memecoin....
us