Sign in to follow this  

144 weighted moving average, what the significance?

Can someone explain the significance of the 144 WMA.  It's a pretty disruptive line on any timeframe.  Unlike 'major' SMAs that act as support/resistance lines, the 144wma acts like a support/resistance as well as propelling the price sharply one way or the other.  

It's one of those Psychological things. There's lot's of books on Trading Psychology. 

But what makes it psychologically significant?  Its not a nice major number and not many people use it at all, a google search barely shows any results, unlike say 200 SMA. 

5 hours ago, backwardation said:

Can someone explain the significance of the 144 WMA.  It's a pretty disruptive line on any timeframe.  Unlike 'major' SMAs that act as support/resistance lines, the 144wma acts like a support/resistance as well as propelling the price sharply one way or the other.  

Sometimes these odd number MAs have been derived from a larger time frame chart.

In the pic below are the M5 and H1 Dax charts, the H1 has a 20 period lwma which is a common use while the M5 chart has a 144 lwma, see how their positions roughly equate to the price on each of the charts. So traders on the M5 time frame charts will be seeing similar signals to those on the H1 charts.

image.thumb.png.93ce82382c0d6665f0db026a9a16d430.png

• Like 2

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    CHL
    Joined 18/09/19 15:56
    • yes they will be on less charts but I understand your point about the size of the moves in ftse, no harm in trialing them though you might find marking out the immediate prior high and low has more relevance.  
    • Yeah, I keep an eye on volume, that's why it's showing at the bottom of my chart However, I haven't been able to discover a strong relation between volume spikes and trend direction. Sometimes I see orders of the magnitude of 10-20k and the chart doesn't do anything special. Other times you see just average volume and the chart does huge turnarounds. For example what happened at 8.30 with that spike down and then going straight back up and making new highs vs previous candle? All happened on low volume
    • @jameswalker1 my recommendation is trade the demo account to get a better understanding of the costs associated. I traded demo for nearly 2 years before placing my first real trade. It will save you in the long run to get a better understanding of the costs involved.