Closing only: Market unavailable to open

JamesWatson

Question

Trying to buy on a spread bet but the it says above where I put the amount I want "Closing Only: Market Unavailable to open".  If you try to place deal there is the following message "You can only place an order to close on this market. For further details please call our helpdesk".  Can anyone explain this please

11 answers to this question

On 06/06/2019 at 15:48, JamesWatson said:

The share I am looking at is Correvio Pharma Corporation

Just had a look at this one and can see the MCap is $85m which is unfortunately short of our 250m requirement for American equities (i.e. is is too illiquid and has a small market cap to offer on leverage trading accounts). 

You can however own this stock outright via a share dealing account. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, JamesWatson said:

Trying to buy on a spread bet but the it says above where I put the amount I want "Closing Only: Market Unavailable to open".  If you try to place deal there is the following message "You can only place an order to close on this market. For further details please call our helpdesk".  Can anyone explain this please

Hi, it can be for a number of reasons, it may be that IG has reached max exposure as per their risk management or that the size of the company has reduced to under the IG min threshold and will take it off the platform once those holding positions have closed out. If you tell us the name of the company someone from IG may be able to provide more info. 

13 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Hi, it can be for a number of reasons, it may be that IG has reached max exposure as per their risk management or that the size of the company has reduced to under the IG min threshold and will take it off the platform once those holding positions have closed out. If you tell us the name of the company someone from IG may be able to provide more info. 

The share I am looking at is Correvio Pharma Corporation

26 minutes ago, jimmyruan said:

Anyone knows what's with the German Bund, it says "Closing only: Market unavailable to open"?

To price undated commodities we need 2 liquid futures. With bonds, virtually 100% of the liquidity is in the front month contract. We don’t offer any other undated bonds, but in the past the back month of the Bund has had  enough liquidity to make offering an undated product viable.

This is no longer the case - therefore we can no longer price the undated reliably. The undated contract will remain online so long as clients have open positions and we have no plans to force people out.

We'll continue to offer the dated forward contracts (which you can see in the screenshot below). 

Any questions please ask.

All the best,

Ludwik

Bund.JPG

Hi

hoping some is able to help. My question is regarding “Closing only: Market unavailable to open” on many of the volatile US and China stocks that the mo. I’m finding it frustrating I am unable to trade stocks such as UONE, ROSUE, CTIB to name a handful all up +400% to. UONE went from $5 to $40. 

can some please explain why we are unable to trade theses with IG?

must appreciated 

Ben

On 17/06/2020 at 04:53, brthomson said:

Hi

hoping some is able to help. My question is regarding “Closing only: Market unavailable to open” on many of the volatile US and China stocks that the mo. I’m finding it frustrating I am unable to trade stocks such as UONE, ROSUE, CTIB to name a handful all up +400% to. UONE went from $5 to $40. 

can some please explain why we are unable to trade theses with IG?

must appreciated 

Ben

I also wanted to trade UONE but couldn't. I guess it must be for the reason above by Casey that it is below the 250m threshold. That was over a year ago that was written though but I can't find any info as to whether or not it is still the case. And is that in $ or £? 

Also it seems we can only trade 'All Sessions' US stocks pre-market and AMC as opposed to others that are open pre-market and AMC etc.

I guess you're trying out day trading right? I am starting to wonder if IG is the right option for day trading 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TREBOR84 said:

I also wanted to trade UONE but couldn't. I guess it must be for the reason above by Casey that it is below the 250m threshold. That was over a year ago that was written though but I can't find any info as to whether or not it is still the case. And is that in $ or £? 

Also it seems we can only trade 'All Sessions' US stocks pre-market and AMC as opposed to others that are open pre-market and AMC etc.

I guess you're trying out day trading right? I am starting to wonder if IG is the right option for day trading 

yes I’m looking into day trading. Quick in and out inter-day trading. 

I’ve been looking into my opinions on how to trade theses US stocks as I’ve been missing out on how volatile the US market has been over this last month. 

the only way you can trade US stocks like UONE with IG is by using the shear dealer account. I traded a couple of US stocks on Friday and all seemed ok. 

however there is commition charges on shear dealing. I believe £10. I think £10 to open a position and £10 to close a position. But I think it’s the case if you place more than 3 trades in one day. There are no commition charges (in shear dealing) if I’ve got this wrong please do let me know (thanks)

From what I understand you can’t use Pro Real Time charts along side Shear Dealing. So you need to use the IG platform software, which I found to be not as user friendly as Pro Real Time (but will just take a bit of time to learn)

if anyone has a link on how the shear dealing works or how to set up charts on the IG shear dealer platform I would very much appreciated any info. 

in regards to is IG the right platform for day trading, I feel one is more than able to day trade with IG, as I’ve been day trading Oil and the Dow over the last 6 months, but I feel there is a big opportunity to trade US stocks with IG   (I am still louring however) I have come to understand that no UK broker provide Level 2 dater/ market depth for (US stocks) Which I understand is very important for day trading stocks. This may trump one who is trying to trade US stocks like UONE (Again if anyone know anything or could give some feedback on this I would be most grateful)

You May be interested: I follow a US trader call Ross Cameron from warrior trading. He has a YouTube video and sells a years course should you wish to look into this. I’ve not signed up for it myself as it around $2999. But I would like to one day soon. His YouTube channel does give a good insite into his trades and however he finds the volatile stocks each morning (using trade idears). Def worth a look!

hope some of this helps. 

again if anyone could give some incite into Shear Dealing or day trading the US open on IG I would very much appreciated it. 

thanks

Hi again

Well I only really use the Spread Betting platform because of the leverage and also no commission, no taxes etc. I used to use the CFD platform until I discovered Spread Betting.

The share dealing platform is 2 cents per share OR minimum $15, whichever is more so penny stocks commission could mount up.   

I thought Pro had Level 2 no? I was going to get it on the 1st July. I hope it has VWAP too?

I mostly just watch videos by either 'Boiler Room' or 'Investor's Underground'. Boiler room is very good and he just tells you everything you need to know. Investors underground are also good but they only go so far and the rest they put on their 2 DVDs which cost about $1000! So I have not bought them. I follow them on Twitter etc and always trade their free Sunday scans. They have their own chatroom where they give out free scans each day; you can learn from their experienced traders... lots of other benefits. That costs around £200 per month. I am *thinking*about doing that... I am dubious about these courses though. 3 grand is a lot but if you have done your research then maybe