Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Visualisation in Excel of current market situation: Built using https://www.excelpricefeed.com  

"...an inverting yield curve and weak June manufacturing data across the globe have divided analysts on whether or not a pullback is due. DWS forecasts a ‚Äúmoderate cooling of economic activity‚ÄĚ, but J

Overnight remains risk off. Indices and Oil down. Gold and Bonds up with Bonds just pulling back. Today not much on the calendar so it's all about the virus. 

Posted Images

Just now, dmedin said:

Zut alors¬†ūü•≥ūüźī

The exit polls will give a fair idea whether is will be worth staying up late to watch the constituency results come in one after the other and watch the swing of 'yes/no' which if is a close run thing will also swing the market but be prepared for high spreads and high min stop loss levels.

  • Like 1
Link to post

US Indices just backing off after a very strong day yesterday, Bonds down, Oil and Gold flat, Crypto down.

Today UK GDP at 9:30am (final so should be no surprises). US final GDP at 1:30pm.

UK Brexit vote in parliament at 2:30pm could affect the GBP after the recent turmoil when GBP shot up on a good election result then came straight back down when Johnson announced could well see a no deal Brexit. 

US income and sentiment data at 3pm.

image.thumb.png.a2f02e571d2dc835752f2538fb07934e.png

image.thumb.png.26a2c8d66499ccd878602de2c03fe31a.png

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
  • 2 weeks later...

There are a few online sites touting for webinar sign up for the US nfp normally held on the first Friday of the month but don't bother as it's on the 10th of Jan this time round instead. 

The upcoming Friday though sees not only the ISM US manu PMI at 3pm but also the minutes of the last FOMC mtg are released at 7pm and can also move markets.

  • Like 1
Link to post

Indices up, Bonds and Oil down. Gold and USD up.

Ger manu PMI at 8:55. UK manu PMI at 9:30. US jobs data at 1:30pm. US manu PMI 2:45pm.

Note these are the Markit PMI's not the more important ISM PMI's out tomorrow.

image.thumb.png.54f5541c601551ff0a0df212fe83d81c.png

image.thumb.png.c16c4f951cda393e451c2ea19a0130d9.png

  • Like 1
Link to post

Indices reverse yesterday's gains on news of US bombing of Iranian military personal. Bonds, Gold and Oil up.

US ISM manu PMI 3pm (non-manu PMIs next week). Minutes from the last FOMC mtg released at 7pm.

image.thumb.png.79a7102a045973d4a7ae97f4470c7cc8.png

image.thumb.png.d331884745f6c1956b39ec3b3fbbee98.png

  • Thought provoking 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Indices reverse yesterday's gains on news of US bombing of Iranian military personal. Bonds, Gold and Oil up.

US ISM manu PMI 3pm (non-manu PMIs next week). Minutes from the last FOMC mtg released at 7pm.

image.thumb.png.79a7102a045973d4a7ae97f4470c7cc8.png

image.thumb.png.d331884745f6c1956b39ec3b3fbbee98.png

Josh followed up on this movement about what can happen next with Gold and Oil: 

image.png

Full article on by clicking here.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
4 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

Dow is down 280 pts for the day after US air strike on Iran. Is this a trend or just reacting to recent events. 

The early reports were breaking around 1am and coincide with the first large H1 red candle on the Dow which precipitated the retrace of the entire Thursday leg up. But no doubt there will be plenty who claim the move was caused¬†their TA or 'predictions' though ūü§Ē.

image.png.d3783566f3d02f1223789b3f4748222d.png

image.png.cf332f17ac73f276cb23174307547c08.png

Link to post
4 hours ago, andysinclair said:

Visualisation in Excel of current market situation:

watch.thumb.PNG.a028d87ee7951dd1f70c8903007be0ab.PNG

Built using https://www.excelpricefeed.com

 

Very nice, I would love to be able to construct something like that myself instead of paying for someone else to do it.  Guess it's time to learn about APIs and such.

Edited by dmedin
Link to post
17 hours ago, dmedin said:

Very nice, I would love to be able to construct something like that myself instead of paying for someone else to do it.  Guess it's time to learn about APIs and such.

I can send you the template if you want, you then just need to install the Add-in in order to use the formulas in the sheet for streaming prices. The Add-in is $10 a month: https://www.excelpricefeed.com

Here's the current sheet:

watch.thumb.PNG.fced50c7564f86c90699b04ade285c8c.PNG

  • Like 1
  • Great! 1
Link to post

Overnight Indices down on news of Iranian missile attack on US military base though S&P already back up to the Monday open price. Bonds and Gold up.

Ger factory orders at 7am. EU business climate data at 10am. US ADP nfp today at 1:15pm may hint at Friday's main NFP release.

image.thumb.png.9b8fec2cee932734f856ed2e5a145a46.png

image.thumb.png.6dfbb034e4078b55ec9a55cbecd6c69e.png

Link to post
3 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Overnight Indices down on news of Iranian missile attack on US military base though S&P already back up to the Monday open price. Bonds and Gold up.

Ger factory orders at 7am. EU business climate data at 10am. US ADP nfp today at 1:15pm may hint at Friday's main NFP release.

image.thumb.png.9b8fec2cee932734f856ed2e5a145a46.png

image.thumb.png.6dfbb034e4078b55ec9a55cbecd6c69e.png

 
EUR Business Climate (Dec) worse than est.

Prev: -0.23

Est: -0.16

Actual: -0.25

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post

All change *ding ding*, Indices up, Oil trying to recover after a massive down day to drop under $60 yesterday.

A bump up for Ger indy production this morning, some US jobs data at 1:30pm and plenty of CB speak throughout the day.

image.thumb.png.85fb25bf2466bcc62ab03b1ed3db4d3f.png

image.thumb.png.3954ba1db0cc6de21bc18cdc99138c93.png

Link to post
14 minutes ago, andysinclair said:

IG Clients still short equities

Cripes, they should come and read this forum ... although with that being said, I did get burned holding open positions when the Iran thing happened.  Seems like a bit of an unpleasant time to be trading with sudden bursts up and down.

Edited by dmedin
  • Like 1
Link to post
18 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Cripes, they should come and read this forum ... although with that being said, I did get burned holding open positions when the Iran thing happened.  Seems like a bit of an unpleasant time to be trading with sudden bursts up and down.

I don't like to hijack this thread, but IG clients have been mainly short for the past 6 months, and more than 2/3rds short since the S&P500 crossed 3000 back in October.

As the market goes down clients go long and as the market goes up clients go short:

sp500sentiment.thumb.PNG.c94bfb8eb31b577735891a6929cbae5d.PNG

  • Like 2
Link to post
1 minute ago, andysinclair said:

I don't like to hijack this thread, but IG clients have been mainly short for the past 6 months, and more than 2/3rds short since the S&P500 crossed 3000 back in October.

As the market goes down clients go long and as the market goes up clients go short:

no worries about hijacking the thread your additions are most welcome,especially coming as an afternoon refresher.

Link to post
4 minutes ago, andysinclair said:

back in October.

What concerns me as I look back on the charts is that I didn't buy and hold at that point.  Surely that's better than nipping in and out, day trading on pivots?

Link to post
6 minutes ago, andysinclair said:

I don't like to hijack this thread, but IG clients have been mainly short for the past 6 months, and more than 2/3rds short since the S&P500 crossed 3000 back in October.

As the market goes down clients go long and as the market goes up clients go short:

and just to reinforce the point that clients are usually on the wrong side here is the latest FXCM SSI showing retail moving into shorts as price starts climbing.

image.png.badf7e1dd6b37ab766a31d49c5866d86.png

Link to post
1 minute ago, dmedin said:

What concerns me as I look back on the charts is that I didn't buy and hold at that point.  Surely that's better than nipping in and out, day trading on pivots?

Yep, me too. I am one of those clients that went short as the market went up...looking back going long (and holding) at any point in the past 6 months would have been profitable. Trying to pick turning points is almost impossible, the trend is your friend...easier said than done though as you start to think "it can't possibly go any higher, must drop soon..." :D

  • Great! 1
Link to post
4 minutes ago, dmedin said:

What concerns me as I look back on the charts is that I didn't buy and hold at that point.  Surely that's better than nipping in and out, day trading on pivots?

not if done right, think of the lateral zig zag price takes to get from A to B, more miles = more points than as the crow flies, more work too though obviously.

Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
      13,750
    • Total Posts
      68,544
    • Total Members
      57,416
    • Most Online
      5,137
      14/01/21 09:51

    Newest Member
    Hermit
    Joined 25/01/21 01:14
  • Posts

    • Simple solution ... Lilith of Assyria¬†¬†@LilithAssyria Reminder: Russia is fully open: * museums * restaurants * cinemas * theatres * gyms without or capacity limits * schools without /plexiglass or idiotic hybrid ¬† How did Russia stop pandemic?! Simple: no asymptomatic testing beginning of December. That‚Äôs it, folks. ¬† ¬† ¬† .
    • Hahaha, Deliberate misrepresentation of my posts and the persistent¬†forwarding¬†of strawman arguments¬†is outright dishonesty. That's what you do¬†and it is insulting and childish quite frankly. That's the point, you don't challenge anything, 'oh I don't like the NHS data you posted boohoo¬†you must be bad'. FFS grow up. Try this again in intelligible English. ¬†
    • how did you manage to buy those shares in 2 different accounts synced to the same instant. i would imagine the price to change if not. Under the statements, the Past activity report may help with the investigation. i cant think of anything else.
×
×
  • Create New...