Just now, dmedin said:

Zut alors 🥳🐴

The exit polls will give a fair idea whether is will be worth staying up late to watch the constituency results come in one after the other and watch the swing of 'yes/no' which if is a close run thing will also swing the market but be prepared for high spreads and high min stop loss levels.

• Like 1

US Indices just backing off after a very strong day yesterday, Bonds down, Oil and Gold flat, Crypto down.

Today UK GDP at 9:30am (final so should be no surprises). US final GDP at 1:30pm.

UK Brexit vote in parliament at 2:30pm could affect the GBP after the recent turmoil when GBP shot up on a good election result then came straight back down when Johnson announced could well see a no deal Brexit. 

US income and sentiment data at 3pm.

image.thumb.png.a2f02e571d2dc835752f2538fb07934e.png

image.thumb.png.26a2c8d66499ccd878602de2c03fe31a.png

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

There are a few online sites touting for webinar sign up for the US nfp normally held on the first Friday of the month but don't bother as it's on the 10th of Jan this time round instead. 

The upcoming Friday though sees not only the ISM US manu PMI at 3pm but also the minutes of the last FOMC mtg are released at 7pm and can also move markets.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, CharlotteIG said:

Dow is down 280 pts for the day after US air strike on Iran. Is this a trend or just reacting to recent events. 

The early reports were breaking around 1am and coincide with the first large H1 red candle on the Dow which precipitated the retrace of the entire Thursday leg up. But no doubt there will be plenty who claim the move was caused their TA or 'predictions' though 🤔.

image.png.d3783566f3d02f1223789b3f4748222d.png

image.png.cf332f17ac73f276cb23174307547c08.png

17 hours ago, dmedin said:

Very nice, I would love to be able to construct something like that myself instead of paying for someone else to do it.  Guess it's time to learn about APIs and such.

I can send you the template if you want, you then just need to install the Add-in in order to use the formulas in the sheet for streaming prices. The Add-in is $10 a month: https://www.excelpricefeed.com

Here's the current sheet:

watch.thumb.PNG.fced50c7564f86c90699b04ade285c8c.PNG

• Like 1
  • Great! 1

Overnight Indices down on news of Iranian missile attack on US military base though S&P already back up to the Monday open price. Bonds and Gold up.

Ger factory orders at 7am. EU business climate data at 10am. US ADP nfp today at 1:15pm may hint at Friday's main NFP release.

image.thumb.png.9b8fec2cee932734f856ed2e5a145a46.png

image.thumb.png.6dfbb034e4078b55ec9a55cbecd6c69e.png

3 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Overnight Indices down on news of Iranian missile attack on US military base though S&P already back up to the Monday open price. Bonds and Gold up.

Ger factory orders at 7am. EU business climate data at 10am. US ADP nfp today at 1:15pm may hint at Friday's main NFP release.

image.thumb.png.9b8fec2cee932734f856ed2e5a145a46.png

image.thumb.png.6dfbb034e4078b55ec9a55cbecd6c69e.png

EUR Business Climate (Dec) worse than est.

Prev: -0.23

Est: -0.16

Actual: -0.25

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, andysinclair said:

IG Clients still short equities

Cripes, they should come and read this forum ... although with that being said, I did get burned holding open positions when the Iran thing happened.  Seems like a bit of an unpleasant time to be trading with sudden bursts up and down.

Edited by dmedin
  • Like 1
18 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Cripes, they should come and read this forum ... although with that being said, I did get burned holding open positions when the Iran thing happened.  Seems like a bit of an unpleasant time to be trading with sudden bursts up and down.

I don't like to hijack this thread, but IG clients have been mainly short for the past 6 months, and more than 2/3rds short since the S&P500 crossed 3000 back in October.

As the market goes down clients go long and as the market goes up clients go short:

sp500sentiment.thumb.PNG.c94bfb8eb31b577735891a6929cbae5d.PNG

• Like 2
1 minute ago, andysinclair said:

I don't like to hijack this thread, but IG clients have been mainly short for the past 6 months, and more than 2/3rds short since the S&P500 crossed 3000 back in October.

As the market goes down clients go long and as the market goes up clients go short:

no worries about hijacking the thread your additions are most welcome,especially coming as an afternoon refresher.

6 minutes ago, andysinclair said:

and just to reinforce the point that clients are usually on the wrong side here is the latest FXCM SSI showing retail moving into shorts as price starts climbing.

image.png.badf7e1dd6b37ab766a31d49c5866d86.png

1 minute ago, dmedin said:

What concerns me as I look back on the charts is that I didn't buy and hold at that point.  Surely that's better than nipping in and out, day trading on pivots?

Yep, me too. I am one of those clients that went short as the market went up...looking back going long (and holding) at any point in the past 6 months would have been profitable. Trying to pick turning points is almost impossible, the trend is your friend...easier said than done though as you start to think "it can't possibly go any higher, must drop soon..." :D

• Great! 1
4 minutes ago, dmedin said:

What concerns me as I look back on the charts is that I didn't buy and hold at that point.  Surely that's better than nipping in and out, day trading on pivots?

not if done right, think of the lateral zig zag price takes to get from A to B, more miles = more points than as the crow flies, more work too though obviously.