Jump to content

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, andysinclair said:

Yep, me too. I am one of those clients that went short as the market went up...looking back going long (and holding) at any point in the past 6 months would have been profitable. Trying to pick turning points is almost impossible, the trend is your friend...easier said than done though as you start to think "it can't possibly go any higher, must drop soon..." :D

and yet trying to pick tops or turning points is exactly what they are all trying to do, and failing consistently.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

and yet trying to pick tops or turning points is exactly what they are all trying to do, and failing consistently.

In retrospect there are some clear signs of bottoms and tops forming, triple MA crossovers, RSI, candle patterns, gaps, the lot 😻

Edited by dmedin

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

not if done right, think of the lateral zig zag price takes to get from A to B, more miles = more points than as the crow flies, more work too though obviously.

🤔

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, dmedin said:

In retrospect there are some clear signs of bottoms and tops forming, triple MA crossovers, RSI, candle patterns, gaps, the lot 😻

they are not in and out, they are in and staying in, they keep doubling down after being stopped out, see below the exact same thing from my post in early April 2019 in the SSI thread.

image.png.01593bec2f01320cef9d838c1a61740c.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

@Caseynotes

I'm not convinced that day trading is better, considering how treacherous it is to short the U.S.  Far better to add to positions on dips.  These, again, you'd buy and hold.  So it might be worthwhile to study charts and try to find bottoms and dips (trending).  I'm not talking about client sentiment and trying to call tops.

Edited by dmedin

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dmedin said:

@Caseynotes

I'm not convinced that day trading is better, considering how treacherous it is to short the U.S.  Far better to add to positions on dips.  These, again, you'd buy and hold.  So it might be worthwhile to study charts and try to find bottoms and dips (trending).  I'm not talking about client sentiment and trying to call tops.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, I've no need to. I'm perfectly happy trading away day after day as I've done for years watching noobs come and go. Buy and hold is investing not trading and you just don't have the capital to do that as a career.

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

Buy and hold is investing not trading and you just don't have the capital to do that as a career.

A career?  No way.  Making better returns on investment is the only realistic goal.  Who has the capital to 'day trade' for a living?  I am still not convinced anyone can do that unless they are commanding huge sums of money and happy to live by the seat of their pants.  Not good.  No wonder most 'day traders' are hustling for additional cash in various places.

Share this post


Link to post

Call it investing, trading, gambling, swindling, or tap dancing with polar bears - call it whatever the gosh darnit you like.  It's all about making money and that's all that counts!

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dmedin said:

A career?  No way.  Making better returns on investment is the only realistic goal.  Who has the capital to 'day trade' for a living?  I am still not convinced anyone can do that unless they are commanding huge sums of money and happy to live by the seat of their pants.  Not good.  No wonder most 'day traders' are hustling for additional cash in various places.

get a job and invest any surplus into a buy and hold, fine. alternatively learn to trade for a living. the size of the account is not the make or break factor, to be able to grow an account is and that is done by having a system with a positive expectancy as demonstrated by a positive win rate vs risk/reward ratio on the running total of your trades.

no one is interested in convincing you, no one cares that you think the sum total of all day traders in the world are the 5 you have heard about that sell courses.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

no one is interested in convincing you, no one cares that you think the sum total of all day traders in the world are the 5 you have heard about that sell courses.

I am, however, interested to learn the truth.  The truth is fearless.  😎

The truth is also: most IG clients are suckers and you should bet against them; and that most day traders fail miserably.

What else is true, I wonder?  :D

Reminds me of the job selection process.  1000 applicants, 999 rejected!  I wonder if a day trader's odds are any better than a job seekers'.

Edited by dmedin

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, dmedin said:

I am, however, interested to learn the truth.  The truth is fearless.  😎

The truth is also: most IG clients are suckers and you should bet against them; and that most day traders fail miserably.

What else is true, I wonder?  :D

true, nearly all noobs fail on their first attempt but some of them come back and try again, and again. Those in the 25% not losing money may well have taken many attempts to get there.

One of the main problems noobs have is that they think trading is all about TA but in fact TA is about 5 - 10% of it. They all spend too much time on TA and don't even attempt to start to build a self styled rules based system for trade selection, entry and exit. That's unfortunate because without that they have nothing and the sooner they see that the sooner they start down the right path. I've spent years saying just that on this forum but it's very rare any noobs actually listen.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Caseynotes said:

true, nearly all noobs fail on their first attempt but some of them come back and try again, and again. Those in the 25% not losing money may well have taken many attempts to get there.

One of the main problems noobs have is that they think trading is all about TA but in fact TA is about 5 - 10% of it. They all spend too much time on TA and don't even attempt to start to build a self styled rules based system for trade selection, entry and exit. That's unfortunate because without that they have nothing and the sooner they see that the sooner they start down the right path. I've spent years saying just that on this forum but it's very rare any noobs actually listen.

 

Eh? Can't hear :D

 

Edited by dmedin

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, dmedin said:

 

Eh? Can't hear :D

 

🔈🔉🔊📢📣 actually they probably do listen but just think that re-reading TA for Dummies would be a whole lot easier.🤩

  • Great! 1

Share this post


Link to post

Indices continue up. Bonds,Gold and Oil down.

Today the main event is the US NFP at 1:30.

image.thumb.png.651d5a0485def119e4690b4b22946929.png

image.thumb.png.ba33b1efb1c1ca3348600914980b0522.png

Share this post


Link to post

After the weekend Indices up Bonds and Gold down, Oil up.

UK GDP and manu prod data at 9:30.

image.thumb.png.2528f2e555e11ae18c4857da48ab7b5e.png

image.thumb.png.827880530d57186c940db6f261c6c17f.png

Share this post


Link to post

Overnight Indices up, Bonds and Gold down, Oil flat.

US CPI at 1:30pm.

IG client sentiment chart.

 

image.thumb.png.780fabe9c6d624dfd499c6a7303f2320.png

image.thumb.png.2cc4ebe038a3416e46e58d3319568e51.png

image.png.91c19cd6529ef764930e20d1dd5d7faf.png

Share this post


Link to post

Overnight Indices down but recovering a little this morning, Bonds up, USD and Crypto down.

UK PPI and CPI data at 9:30am. US PPI at 1:30pm. US/China phase 1 deal signing 4pm.

image.thumb.png.cbc9f58186376ee20541d4b9c65db18c.png

image.thumb.png.9dffb47f26c3777e48971a50cdf34293.png

  • Thought provoking 1

Share this post


Link to post

The US/China phase 1 trade deal expected to be signed this afternoon (GMT) but there seems to be a lot of uncertainty as to what, if anything will be revealed as to what's actually in it. Could well be a market moving event one way or the other.

  • Thanks 1
  • Thought provoking 1

Share this post


Link to post
 

So depending on who you believe the Chinese will buy $205B - $210B over two years.. If you look at the US Sources numbers the Chinese will buy $215B - $220B over two years. If China follows through either way these are big numbers. #China #Trade Watch my report on @FoxNews now

Share this post


Link to post

Indices up and the S&P into new highs again, Bonds and Gold down, Oil up.

Today EU accounts at 13:30. US retail sales at 1:30. ECBs Lagarde speaks at 6pm.

image.thumb.png.5969a6b00d29e40572a1d9a25f981e72.png

image.thumb.png.23f81663c3b89ed26774f6021a60de5f.png

Share this post


Link to post

Crude oil is taking a huge dump.

Share this post


Link to post

Indices continue upward, Bonds down, Oil and Gold up overnight.

Today UK retail sales at 9:30am. EU CPI at 10am. US housing data at 1:30pm. US Mich consumer senti at 3pm.

@Charlotte, just to note loading the platform has been incomplete all week (see blank spaces below), never been a problem before.

image.thumb.png.f76c28cbf70d3b1b457845745624a557.png

image.thumb.png.6425c6b5e580fc3151ceb431876b7dbb.png

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Indices continue upward, Bonds down, Oil and Gold up overnight.

Today UK retail sales at 9:30am. EU CPI at 10am. US housing data at 1:30pm. US Mich consumer senti at 3pm.

@Charlotte, just to note loading the platform has been incomplete all week (see blank spaces below), never been a problem before.

image.thumb.png.f76c28cbf70d3b1b457845745624a557.png

image.thumb.png.6425c6b5e580fc3151ceb431876b7dbb.png

Thank you for the heads up. I will send this to the technical team and get back to you. 

If anyone else has experienced this let me know. 

Share this post


Link to post

Indices flat. Bonds, Gold and Oil.

US bank holiday today.  

image.thumb.png.2d062195cb12e10ebe2643c080443e5d.png

image.thumb.png.697925e0e4a4b7c2eeca5f1f11353b0a.png

Share this post


Link to post
On 17/01/2020 at 09:28, CharlotteIG said:

I will send this to the technical team

I'm sure they were delighted.

Friendly bunch down there.

Edited by dmedin

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Caseynotes said:

Indices flat. Bonds, Gold and Oil.

US bank holiday today.  

image.thumb.png.2d062195cb12e10ebe2643c080443e5d.png

image.thumb.png.697925e0e4a4b7c2eeca5f1f11353b0a.png

They suggested normal trouble shooting steps, removing and re-added boxes onto the page. However, it's been some time now. Has this resolved itself? If not I would suggest calling them and asking for the technical team directly. 

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, CharlotteIG said:

They suggested normal trouble shooting steps, removing and re-added boxes onto the page. However, it's been some time now. Has this resolved itself? If not I would suggest calling them and asking for the technical team directly. 

no problem today, was taking a long time to load all last week and often skipping a box but on Friday 2 boxes wouldn't load so looked like the problem was getting worse. I'll see what happens this week.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

no problem today, was taking a long time to load all last week and often skipping a box but on Friday 2 boxes wouldn't load so looked like the problem was getting worse. I'll see what happens this week.

Thanks @Caseynotes, do let me know. Glad it's working now :)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Topics
      12,822
    • Total Posts
      65,802
    • Total Members
      86,821
    Newest Member
    Eleanoralice
    Joined 29/10/20 08:36
  • Posts

    • Start the conversation The US election is scheduled for Tuesday 3 November 2020, when all 50 states and Washington DC will cast their votes. The vote spans six different time zones, so the first exit polls will be available at around 11pm (EST) when West Coast voting closes. In the UK, that will be around 4am (GMT) on Wednesday 4 November 2020. The election is likely to create opportunities for traders, with price movements expected across a range of forex pairs, indices and commodities in the run-up to polling day. Volatility related to the election could continue until congress certifies the result on Wednesday 6 January 2021, or even until the winner is inaugurated on Wednesday 20 January 2021. What should traders expect to see during the US election? All US markets tend to experience increased volatility in the run up to a presidential election, including USD forex pairs, indices and commodities. That’s because many investors will attempt to lock in positions before the result is announced – using polls to gauge public sentiment. The aim is to take full advantage of the price moves that occur when the country’s political direction is confirmed. At the top level, early indications suggest that the following could be on the cards if one of these two main candidates win: Donald Trump A Trump win could see an escalation of the trade war, potentially causing problems for some US exporters and having a negative impact on the value of the dollar. However, this effect could be offset by reassurances that tax cuts and deregulation will continue – boosting the US economy. Joe Biden A Biden win could see tensions in the trade war cool, providing a boost to US exporters and the dollar. However, these effects could be offset by tax increases for high-income households, and more limited deregulation.   How will markets react to the different candidates? Market commentary by IG Senior Market Analyst Joshua Mahony Stocks Markets hate uncertainty, and historically the perception has been that a new president might bring policies that could be harmful for stocks. This happened in 2016 when analysts were confident that a Trump presidency would spark a market collapse. But, we are now seeing that same fear creep in as people consider a Biden presidency and the potential uncertainty it could cause. Biden is openly more left-leaning, and his policies are expected to be geared towards human needs rather than those of investors and traders. This sentiment isn’t helped by suggestions that Biden would reverse Trump’s tax cuts, and it is likely that markets will rise alongside the potentially increased chance of a Trump victory as we approach the election. USD The value of a currency is supposed to reflect the health of an economy and its future prospects. Many are expecting Biden to be less focused on the markets than his Republican opponent, so the dollar could weaken in the event of a Biden victory. However, this effect could be offset if Biden is able to improve relations between the US and China after years of market anxiety. In this scenario, it would be the Chinese yuan which may benefit the most, with the trade war having sparked huge upside for USD/CNH. Keep in mind that if the wider markets fall on a Biden victory – including US stocks and indices – the dollar would likely rally in the short-term to reflect a risk-off move as investors turn to USD. Gold The prospect of a more expansive fiscal policy under Biden, and from a government which is happy to embark on substantial spending programmes, could provide a boost to precious metals. There’s a caveat here too, because in the past precious metals have also followed the same patterns as the stock markets during times of crisis. So, any collapse in equity markets that may come from a change at the White House could drag gold lower in the immediate period. Plus, while Trump has finally seen the kind of stimulus he would have hoped for, a Biden win could result in a more substantial stimulus package if the Democrats gain a foothold in Congress.   How are you trading?
    • Dax has been volatile today. Down 600, Dax down 4% on COVID fears. US open in 10 minutes. 
×
×