Jump to content

Margin tightening

Recommended Posts



Welcome to IG Community!


You should be receiving an email shortly (if you haven't already) to let you know that we've reduced margin rates on markets such as the FTSE, GBP and EUR crosses and more. 


Check your email for the full details and let us know if you have any questions.



Link to comment
  • 1 month later...

Same here, margins on all my small caps doubled. All small caps with starting margin requirements of 50%. No warning. However they had a system update announcement last night on their webpage. Guess that's where it went wrong. Been on the phone waiting for over 30 mins...

Link to comment

As soon as anybody knows anything ......please post it ......This is spoiling my day.....noticed the 50 percent thing.....If this is true though the company will go out of business.......SURELY AN ERROR......But still getting worried here.......

Link to comment

Satrix40 margin gone from 5% to 50%. Ive been emailing since 0700 and trying to call from 1000. Can someone from IG please let us all know whats happening. Getting emails to fund my account but no way I can get that amount in over the weekend!!!!! Seems that im not the only one in this position. Happy Saturday :-(  

Link to comment

Hmm..this might be a good prompt to start spreading capital over a number of firms to manage risk (if what you say is true about IGs financial position),


Been with IG a long time and this is very poor show from the Company in terms of customer service when there is:

a) no information to Clients,

b) margin call emails throughout the night and morning

c) finally, you cant get through to "Client Services" on the phone.


I am not impressed at all.....

Link to comment

I just got through on the phone. They said that it was IG's error and to ignore it - they are working to fix the mistake and hopefully by the end of the day things will be back to normal. Also that they were going to send an email explaining and apologisin.

Would be great if they could have posted this instead of me... ! It kind of has undermined my confidence in the platform. Would the system actually have closed out some people's positions based on this error??

Link to comment

Hi all, 


Please accept our apologies for the emails you may have received today regarding margin rates. A software update over the weekend has caused incorrect margins on a number of instruments. We should have this resolved shortly.


No positions will be affected by this. 




Link to comment

Hi both, 


I do understand your concerns, and apologies for the delay in providing information on issue. We'll be conducting a full review to improve our practices moving forwards. 


As soon as I have any updates I will post here again. 



Link to comment


Thanks for the update and confirmation, but I like many others have been somewhat stressed by this since the first margin call email at 00.35 this morning!!

I fail to understand why an URGENT holding email could not have been issued to alert all Clients (who are not on the forum)

I sat and pondered this, before seeing your comment above and came to the conclusion that either 1. IG have very poor IT systems, or worse 2. That this was a 'grab for cash' 

Please can you assure all of us that this will not happen again in the future.

Thanks Grizzle

Link to comment

It’s good that Dan is now finally communicating but I agree with Grizzle1 and pulledpork that IT issues occur (I personally experience this in my business) but the complacent and leisurely approach to communicating and resolving the issue has left me and others a bit undervalued as clients of IG.


I think IG need to understand that there are REAL people behind each IG account who do not need this sort of stressful start to a weekend!


I will definitely be making a formal complaint about this with my Account Manager who I already emailed last night but got an Out of Office...typical.

Link to comment

Hi all, 


This issue should now be resolved.  We'll take on board all the points you have raised and are really sorry for the inconvenience this has caused. 


Do let us know if you continue to encounter and further problems. 



Link to comment

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • General Statistics

    • Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    • Most Online
      10/06/21 10:53

    Newest Member
    Joined 27/07/21 11:52
  • Posts

    • Alibaba continues to enjoy strong revenue and customer growth, but the decline in its stock price reflects a bleaker outlook thanks to the actions of the Chinese government. Source: Bloomberg   Shares Alibaba Group China Investor IPO Price  Chris Beauchamp | Chief Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 27 July 2021    When is Alibaba’s earnings date? Alibaba reports earnings on 3 August, covering its fiscal first quarter (Q1). Alibaba earnings – what to expect Alibaba is expected to report revenue of $32 billion, with earnings per share of $2.24. Alibaba continues to enjoy excellent growth, achieving one billion customers in the 2021 financial year (FY2021), with the vast majority of these based in China. Profit margins and revenues have risen at a steady pace in every year since 2013, at 10% and 23% respectively. However, for Chinese tech shares such as Alibaba, the main concern is no longer business performance, but the attitude of the Chinese government instead. The cancellation of the Ant Financial initial public offering (IPO) and the current clampdown on tutoring stocks points towards a much more restrictive approach to the private sector. As many could have predicted, the culture clash between free market capitalism and the controlling instincts of the Chinese Communist Party has begun anew, with the Party determined to rein in the perceived excesses of the free market. This is a situation unfamiliar to many investors, unused to the impact of government interference on most companies except in relatively isolated circumstances, and accounts for the underperformance of Chinese shares, with Alibaba no exception. Find out more on how to buy, sell, and short Alibaba shares Alibaba broker ratings A total of 17 analysts currently rate Alibaba as a ‘strong buy’, with 30 more at ‘buy’. Three analysts have a ‘hold’ rating, and only one ‘sell’. Alibaba stock – technical analysis The direction in Alibaba stock is clear for the time being. Rallies have been regularly sold, with the latest bounce in late June running into the 100-day simple moving average (SMA), currently 22,225. With the macro outlook so unfavourable the stock continues to reflect investor caution, so it looks like further declines are on the cards as the price targets 18,000 and lower.   Source: ProRealTime A solid business, but outlook continues to darken Alibaba has plenty to commend it from a fundamental perspective, but with Beijing adopting an activist position the stock continues to decline. Investors might argue that this means Alibaba is becoming a bargain, but traders will want to see a turnaround in the price, which is unlikely to happen unless the Chinese government reduces its interventions.
    • EUR/USD, GBP/USD and NZD/USD weaken from Fibonacci resistance EUR/USD, GBP/USD and NZD/USD turn lower after posting a deep 76.4% Fibonacci retracement.   Forex NZD/USD EUR/USD GBP/USD Pound sterling Euro    Joshua Mahony | Senior Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 27 July 2021  EUR/USD turning lower from latest retracement EUR/USD has managed to post yet another 76.4% Fibonacci retracement, with the pair heading lower once again. This highlights how the trend seen over the course of the past two months remains worth following. While the trend is very shallow in nature, that does bring a higher likeliness of a deep retracement. As such, a bearish outlook holds from here, with a push up through the prior swing-high of $1.183 required to negate that downside bias. Source: ProRealTime GBP/USD turning lower after 76.4% retracement GBP/USD has started to lose ground in early trade today, following the rally into the 76.4% Fibonacci resistance level at $1.383. With a wider bearish trend playing out over recent months, there is a good chance we see further downside from here. A rise up through the $1.391 level would be required to negate that outlook. Source: ProRealTime NZD/USD slumps after deep pullback NZD/USD has similarly turned lower after a 76.4% Fibonacci retracement yesterday. The wider downtrend points towards such a move coming into play, with a rise through $0.7045 required to negate that bearish outlook. Until then, further weakness looks likely from here. Source: ProRealTime
    • Gold falls back into support as Brent crude pushes into Fibonacci resistance Gold falls back into key support, while Brent crude has rallied up into Fibonacci resistance in its bid to regain previous highs. Source: Bloomberg    Joshua Mahony | Senior Market Analyst, London | Publication date: Tuesday 27 July 2021  Gold drifts back into key support level Gold has been on the back foot once again, with price moving back into the key $1790 support level. A break below that level would bring a bearish picture into play following a period of consolidation. However, with price typically managing to post a short rebound from this level, it is worthwhile expecting another move higher until we see $1790 break. Source: ProRealTime   Brent crude rallies back into Fibonacci resistance Brent crude has been on the rise since a pullback into the wider 76.4% Fibonacci retracement level at $67.60. That rally has brought us back into yet another 76.4% level at $74.12. The wider uptrend points towards a likely push up through this level in a bid to regain the previous peaks of $76.30 and $77.57. However, whether that will come in a straight line remains to be seen. For now, we need to see whether price respects that Fibonacci resistance level or simply pushes through. To the downside, any pullback would need to break the $72.14 level to bring a more bearish short-term outlook. Until then, there is a good chance we see further upside come into play. Source: ProRealTime   See opportunity on a commodity?  
  • Create New...