Market Breadth and UP/Down volume

Question

Hello, I'm looking for a market breadth indicator for indices.  It is simply computed on a stock market by taking the ratio of the number of advancing stocks to declining stocks.  Looks like this: 

I'm also looking for an UP/Down volume indicator that shows the volume of long to short.  Its useful in identifying reversals.  This would only work for instruments with real volume not tick volume.  Looks like this:

Do we have anything similar on IG's platform or on PRT?   

11 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, backwardation said:

Hello, I'm looking for a market breadth indicator for indices.  It is simply computed on a stock market by taking the ratio of the number of advancing stocks to declining stocks.  Looks like this: 

One of the best market breadth indicators is Advance Decline which comes as either a line or ratio, see pic below.

image.thumb.png.04c4148fc9e6b6f1e31546cbd6108105.png

• Great! 1

10 minutes ago, backwardation said:

Thank you!  Any idea about up/down volume (sometimes called bull/bear volume)?

no, I can't recollect seeing that type of indicator before, a separate bar for buy and sell volume. A quick search only came up with this one which can be set to display the current bar.

https://www.mql5.com/en/market/product/15939

image.png.336ebee4c66ddd6a89a85dc8569f1e84.png

• Like 1

1 minute ago, backwardation said:

@Caseynotes  I think this should work fine .  Thank you very much.

The vol seems to work fine, set the input period to 1 instead of 7 but turn the alarm off 🙂

image.thumb.png.399e1bb5711e4d93f102947541025d9b.png

• Like 1

On 20/06/2019 at 11:07, backwardation said:

@Caseynotes  I think this should work fine .  Thank you very much.

@backwardation,  these cumulative delta buy/sell volume indicators might be closer to what you are looking for;

The link is for the bottom one, don't know where I got the top one from 😕

https://www.mql5.com/en/market/product/21008

image.thumb.png.0909cb7db07ca01a06998e964f96a904.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, backwardation said:

@Caseynotes I Found this bull/bear volume indicator for ProRealTime.  I haven't used it yet, but it seems nice. https://www.prorealcode.com/prorealtime-indicators/bear-bull-volume-indicator/ 

@dmedin  you should take a look at this, so instead of the volume bar being coloured by whether there were more long or short contracts (maybe a lot, may be just a few) there is an actual breakdown of the amount of long or short.

image.thumb.png.b43b98533c20a7eb8fcc65162e436389.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

@dmedin  you should take a look at this, so instead of the volume bar being coloured by whether there were more long or short contracts (maybe a lot, may be just a few) there is an actual breakdown of the amount of long or short.

image.thumb.png.b43b98533c20a7eb8fcc65162e436389.png

This is really handy.  I've got it added to PRT.  👍

Posted (edited)

I've been playing with it for the past few hours.  It's very impressive and helpful.  I still can't decide if the moving average crossovers are valuable, but the dual colored bars definitely do give an edge.

Edited by backwardation
  • Like 1