Jump to content

Trade Planning and Testing

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, jlz said:

@dmedin Here you have a person that could help you to get out of that hole where you think you are.

THT has many years of experience in financial services as well as very detailed posts of how to trade, how to handle risk, how to test and how to look at charts.

What is your response? A mouth full of insults. Really? 

 

My response to all of that bullsh!t is, 'To hell with all of that bullsh!t.'

Sounds pretty sensible.

 

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, AndrewS said:

Fair enough, you beat me.

Oh my words, I just realised that your post got in the middle of my heat with the forum troll. 

I didn't realise that it was someone else because your icon is green as well, so I didn't pay attention to the name. I do apologise. The troll gave me so much already that I feel entitled to call him all sort of things, so you just got in the middle :D

I should pay more attention before I send anything. The challenge was always to defend myself so I was never intending to force people to share their accounts. Thank you for sending that screenshot, I hope you are doing that well with your next trades.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, jlz said:

Oh my words, I just realised that your post got in the middle of my heat with the forum troll. 

I didn't realise that it was someone else because your icon is green as well, so I didn't pay attention to the name. I do apologise. The troll gave me so much already that I feel entitled to call him all sort of things, so you just got in the middle :D

I should pay more attention before I send anything. The challenge was always to defend myself so I was never intending to force people to share their accounts. Thank you for sending that screenshot, I hope you are doing that well with your next trades.

No need to apologise. Unfortunately the challenge to defend oneself has happened in the past.

  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
54 minutes ago, dmedin said:

Nearing middle age, and I can't do anything right.

Well, I wouldn't say that - without meaning to endorse the way you do it, but I think you're at least providing challenge in this community, quite effectively ensuring that it doesn't become an echo chamber.  You also seem honest.  That's not meant as general approval, but in principle those qualities are crucial for discussion IMHO.  Recall Bridgewater's emphasis on "thoughtful disagreement".  (it's not up to me here to start a lecture about my own precise understanding of "thoughtful").

Share this post


Link to post
On 14/09/2020 at 18:27, dmedin said:

  

You make money when the market trends, by following the f*king trend.  The problem is that the market does not trend most of the time.

 

Well I can only write from limited personal experience and I don’t really do this at all, not that I am advocating people fight trends. What I do in practice is identify a favoured index to go short and a favoured index to go long. Then I trade conservatively in such a way that I tend to come out ahead whether it is a range or a trend trying to capture the safe bit scaling in and out.

Share this post


Link to post

I have no respect for you guys, because you are sitting on money-printing schemes (AndrewS with his 1500 wins out of 1700 and JLZ with his instant money-making machine that doesn't even require looking at charts) and you aren't sitting in the Bahamas yet, selling expensive training courses.

WTF are you deadbeats doing with your lives?

At least you could use that unlimited money printing to ameliorate world poverty and suffering :( 

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, dmedin said:

I have no respect for you guys, because you are sitting on money-printing schemes (AndrewS with his 1500 wins out of 1700 and JLZ with his instant money-making machine that doesn't even require looking at charts) and you aren't sitting in the Bahamas yet, selling expensive training courses.

WTF are you deadbeats doing with your lives?

At least you could use that unlimited money printing to ameliorate world poverty and suffering :( 

oh dear, no respect from bi-polar bs boy 😆😆😆

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, dmedin said:

I have no respect for you guys, because you are sitting on money-printing schemes (AndrewS with his 1500 wins out of 1700 and JLZ with his instant money-making machine that doesn't even require looking at charts) and you aren't sitting in the Bahamas yet, selling expensive training courses.

WTF are you deadbeats doing with your lives?

At least you could use that unlimited money printing to ameliorate world poverty and suffering :( 

I do not have an instant money-making machine. I wish I had one, for a start I would stop working for a company.

There are thousands of techniques that don't require to look at charts. Just have a look at Metratrader or Ninja Trader forums, you will find tons of them. 

Your IG fake points don't make you a trader. There are many traders that don't even post that I am sure they are profitable, and of course they won't bother themselves to reply to your nonsense.

If you want to improve anything publish your technique, since it is losing money you won't care if anyone copies it. Then because you are posting on "Trade planning and testing" you might have useful comments on how to improve it.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, jlz said:

If you want to improve anything publish your technique, since it is losing money you won't care if anyone copies it. Then because you are posting on "Trade planning and testing" you might have useful comments on how to improve it.

Done it several times 4rsehole.

 

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, jlz said:

 

If you want to improve anything publish your technique, since it is losing money you won't care if anyone copies it. Then because you are posting on "Trade planning and testing" you might have useful comments on how to improve it.

 

What are you here for except to brag about the size of your w!lly?

Are you selling your services via PM?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, dmedin said:

 

What are you here for except to brag about the size of your w!lly?

Are you selling your services via PM?

If you pay attention I just post sometimes to help people, normally if there is technical issue with the API or a programming language, simply because that is what I can help with. For the very basic reason that helping others with technical issues keeps you aware of the latest technologies. 

First I am a merchant, then I have a money printing machine, then I brag, now I sell "something" via PM.

You are running out of options.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, jlz said:

If you pay attention I just post sometimes to help people, normally if there is technical issue with the API or a programming language, simply because that is what I can help with. For the very basic reason that helping others with technical issues keeps you aware of the latest technologies. 

First I am a merchant, then I have a money printing machine, then I brag, now I sell "something" via PM.

You are running out of options.

 

Okay, go ahead and get me banned.  :D

That will also give you something else to do.

And you didn't tell me how much it costs, or do I have to PM you for that?

Edited by dmedin

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, dmedin said:

I have no respect for you guys, because you are sitting on money-printing schemes (AndrewS with his 1500 wins out of 1700 and JLZ with his instant money-making machine that doesn't even require looking at charts) and you aren't sitting in the Bahamas yet, selling expensive training courses.

WTF are you deadbeats doing with your lives?

At least you could use that unlimited money printing to ameliorate world poverty and suffering :( 

I don’t think I am destined for the Bahamas.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Turns out that you can indeed backtest pivots in tradingview.com.

Select 'Go to' to go back in time, pick a date (e.g. 2018-01-01), then click the 'replay' button and select a point to start replaying from.  It will recalculate the pivots as it goes.

Now, let's see one of you c*nts backtest it.  Because it makes no sense to me :)

Edited by dmedin

Share this post


Link to post

  I don’t back test, I simply eyeball things for consistency and I am a fan of forward testing with the minimum amount. I see evidence that over the past 4 weeks that some attention has been on the weekly pivots on the S&P500. Someone may say that is hindsight, but I am going to give more weight to a pretty picture and not try to put lipstick on a pig. At any rate the past two days I have been trying to trade a range on the Dow on the long side only.

  I am mostly interested in the distance between the pivots and look at price action near them. Often I jump the gun, but I tend to scale in and out in accordance with the confidence I have in something and so getting caught out with the first scale in is not really a big deal.

 How one exits is as important as how one enters and for me that is largely a matter of trade management backed by some chart reading skills. I know that chart reading can be a hard path for some and takes time, so I am not advocating it but simply stating that it is what I do.

 

SPX500H1.thumb.jpg.b738ef583b8000898a9ac0f59b686a85.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Chart reading and technical analysis is designed for people who work as advisors to those who have money.  Not a single one of them makes money from trading, they are employees or sell training courses.  Institutional traders hedge, have access to other people's money and work completely differently to the punter sitting at home in his underpants.

To make matters worse, the tiny few that can trade profitably almost never outperform the indices.  How much time are you spending on trying to 'read' charts (this is the same as reading horoscopes), and if you are making money, ask yourself 1) am I making money commensurate to the amount of time and effort I'm putting into this and 2) am I making more or less money than if I put money into a tracker and did something else with my life entirely?

Share this post


Link to post

Good article (new) on strategy planning and testing from Steve Burns.

https://www.newtraderu.com/2020/10/25/how-to-create-backtest-and-optimize-a-trading-strategy/

"A trading strategy is the process used to enter and exit positions in a market based on quantified signals on when to buy and sell. A trading strategy will have trading plan to express a methodology that defines a trader’s return goals, risk tolerance, and time frame. A successful strategy should have an edge expressed in how trades are entered and managed to maximize gains and minimize losses."

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Topics
      13,152
    • Total Posts
      66,760
    • Total Members
      89,498
    Newest Member
    ABatra
    Joined 30/11/20 16:39
  • Posts

    • Is this the right place to leave feedback to the tech team? to others in the community, do you know what I am talking about?
    • I have tried to clarify the US share dealing charges with a live chat operative, and they were unable to communicate in a meaningful way. I would like to confirm that, as long as you trade at least 3 times in any given month, that you will only pay charges for the first month. In other words, free US share dealing is on a rolling monthly basis provided you continue to make at least 3 trades every month. Is this correct? The operative was saying that even if you trade at least 3 times every month, that only every alternate month would allow free commission. She also said this was clearly stated on the fees page, which is most definitely not the case. In addition, are the quarterly fees definitely waived if you place these 3 trades within a quarter? Thanks
×
×