Bitcoin Trend Following By TrendFollower

@PJ19,

I have no idea if what you think will happen based on this chart will happen or not. The one thing I know is that Cryptocurrencies are unpredictable at the best of times. Also there are no rules or regulations that force Bitcoin's price to behave according to Elliott Wave Theory or any other technical analysis (though I accept it might end up following it). Historical price action does not necessarily lead to future price behaviour. 

For me I entered my Bitcoin 'Long' trade a while back and have been holding my trade and adding to it to date on any major dips. I have paid the daily overnight charges and am not worried about the short term price movements, volatility, market noise, so called Crypto expert predictions, complex technical analysis, etc. I have just held. This is the beauty for me of trend following. It allows me to take a directional position and then I can use my spare time to do what I want. I don't have to worry any complexities day to day. My exit will be executed on a trend reversal based on my parameters (which is slightly wider than text book) just so I do not get caught by any false reversals (to catch stop losses being triggered). 

It seems Bitcoin is heading towards the 'daily' recent low of around $10.4k level based on the current price action. The $10k level is crucial as if Bitcoin cannot defend that for a second time then I fear it may open the floodgates for further bearish price action.

A crucial time is coming for the current Bitcoin upward trend. It has gone below its 20 DMA which is a short term bearish signal.

$9.8k on the 'daily' represents the 50 DMA. If this is breached then it could leader to a deeper downward dive in terms of price action due to 'amplification' which in my terms is profit taking + stop losses being triggered + short positions increasing. 

Updated chart, i'll know soon enough  if this is indeed playing out as a contracting triangle

13.07.19a. btc-alt, contracting triangle and off in e.PNG

Bitcoin went down to $10.7k overnight but is back up over $11k this morning. It seems to be gaining support at $11k which still exists. That foundation may be the base for the next projected move upwards. 

Updated chart with key support levels.

Personally, i'm looking for the 9,900 level to hold, and up from there.

Breaking that 9,653 line, then next support zone is at the 8,600.

If that zone (8,600) is breached, then next support at the 7,650.

1227830958_14_07_19.btcwithkeylevelsofsupport.thumb.PNG.4da249ffc2a853b066ef94cf74d9a292.PNG

Update re above charts.

Market is finding support here, i have now closed out my short positions, and have started opening up on the long side.

@PJ19,

Interesting. It seems Bitcoin found support at $10,295.00 but the strength of the price action is so strong that I now cannot rule out further downward price action. I do not know what will happen overnight or tomorrow morning but the momentum seems to be with Bitcoin's price declining but it can turn in the matter of minutes and catch a lot of traders off guard. 

Normally with such solid declines over the course of days Bitcoin tends to bounce big. It will be interesting to see if Bitcoin can hold that crucial $10k level. 

Update re above charts.

Market is finding support here, i have now closed out my short positions, and have started opening up on the long side.

Confirmation of an advance up, would then allow for additional entry point on the initial pull-back. 

@PJ19,

I myself would play it slightly differently in that I would wait for the confirmation of an uptrend before adding to my position (adding on the dips as the price reverses back upwards). 

This will have no doubt scared a lot of traders and wrong footed them. This is extreme price volatility and extreme amplified price corrections at its best. Many traders who have experienced trading Bitcoin will have experienced this many times. 

I think the 'alt coins' are being hammered far more at the moment as they are even more riskier than Bitcoin. 

This coming week should be interesting. I still think those who are short should hold their shorts until there is a clear indication of a reversal. This could involve fake reversals and all sorts so it is going to be extremely challenging for more shorter term traders but this is where their skill and ability will come in. Not easy that is for sure. 

6 hours ago, PJ19 said:

Update re above charts.

Confirmation of an advance up, would then allow for additional entry point on the initial pull-back. 

Have traded within this price range. Now looking like we're going lower, into that 9,900 to 9,700. Let's see if that holds. All as per above chart.

Bitcoin touched $9842.20 so it is touching new lows at the moment. It is currently trading around the $10.2k level at 5:00 am in the morning but is looking rather bearish to me.

The 50 DMA on the 'daily' is in danger of being breached which if it is will trigger further downward price pressure in my opinion. 

I'm trading this bounce, and i'll wait and see if the below plays out as more a bounce rather than a move higher.
I'll be locking-in profits either way.  

btc 10 min chart, is this a bounce or start of a wave c in a triangle. This however to me is looking more like an a,b,c move, target as shown. If we get above that 10,750 line then perhaps the triangle is playing out. 10 min chart with fib extensions as well.
It is very possible that we head lower into that 9,000 and below

1797954392_15_07_19.btcpossiblebounceon10minchart.thumb.PNG.2c2ba1a616ebe7c41552692c5ab178a6.PNG1517962743_15_07_19a.btcwithfibextenon10minchart.thumb.PNG.1291bf4805c1249cb18dc433dd8a86f1.PNG

@PJ19,

The longer term trend for Bitcoin is just about in tact. I say just about as based on current price action there is now a larger risk than previously of Bitcoin going down further which is being supported by price action and momentum.

It will be interesting to see if your analysis leads to your predicted scenario. 

• Like 1

Agree with that.

The market has a good way of turning round quick, especially btc, and in this scenario, there are going to be lots of shorts in play right now, so they could just turn this around and take those out.

The next few hours should give us direction.

If price gets above 10,735-50 then it's probably confirmed.

Let's see how it plays out indeed.

Have a great day, as it's a local holiday here, i'll probably head out into the country for some chill time.

@PJ19,

Oh ok. It was that you mentioned local holiday so I assumed you were outside the UK. Possibly on a vacation in a foreign country?

5 hours ago, PJ19 said:

I'm trading this bounce, and i'll wait and see if the below plays out as more a bounce rather than a move higher.
I'll be locking-in profits either way.  

btc 10 min chart, is this a bounce or start of a wave c in a triangle. This however to me is looking more like an a,b,c move, target as shown. If we get above that 10,750 line then perhaps the triangle is playing out. 10 min chart with fib extensions as well.
It is very possible that we head lower into that 9,000 and below

1797954392_15_07_19.btcpossiblebounceon10minchart.thumb.PNG.2c2ba1a616ebe7c41552692c5ab178a6.PNG1517962743_15_07_19a.btcwithfibextenon10minchart.thumb.PNG.1291bf4805c1249cb18dc433dd8a86f1.PNG

Have looked at wave count, and looks like we're in a corrective move higher, it no longer looks like an abc move, but rather first leg up in a bigger a move ahead. will update chart later, as busy with other stuff right now. 

21 minutes ago, PJ19 said:

Have looked at wave count, and looks like we're in a corrective move higher, it no longer looks like an abc move, but rather first leg up in a bigger a move ahead. will update chart later, as busy with other stuff right now. 

... bigger move higher ahead into that D move

@PJ19,

This is a fascinating battle we are witnessing with those who are bullish on Bitcoin and those who are bearish. 

The question is whether Bitcoin’s correction is setting itself up for a larger move upwards as there could be an aggressive short squeeze imminent. 

I still think Bitcoin’s upward move is not done yet I am expecting it to revisit $20k in the coming months. I think September to December is going to be very interesting.

It seems Bitcoin is trying to push through an upward move. This may be a short covering move. There is not enough positive news right now for Bitcoin to push above $12k and stay there so I see the possibility of Bitcoin either participating in a volatile range bound activity or further declines in the short term. My view longer term is that Bitcoin will go for the $20k level once more positive Bitcoin news is released to the market. 

Well Bitcoin is currently in a downtrend move. 

It was trading below its 20 DMA but it is now below its 50 DMA which confirms a downward trend right now. The chart below highlights this through a simplistic visual without lots of arrows, lines and complexity for those who are new to trading or are struggling to use technical indicators on a more simplistic level.

Bitcoin_20190716_18_39.png.ead94d56053c956f0095cc4f875b0f66.png

Based on current price action and momentum it seems $8k is where Bitcoin seems to be heading unless there is some very positive news on Bitcoin or something significant happens or is released through online media news that changes Bitcoin's path pretty much immediately. Anything above $6k still keeps Bitcoin above its 200 DMA and the longer term trend in tact just about by the skin of its teeth. This is all based on the 'daily' chart / timeframe.

I think if the current strength and momentum on the downward price action continues then it could bottom somewhere between $7k to $8k in my opinion. 

The question now is will Bitcoin go over $10k in what seems to be a 'short covering' rally?

There you go Bitcoin hit $10,006.70. Once this is over there could be another leg down or Bitcoin could wrong foot a lot of traders and go back up. 

Those who really do control the price of the Crypto markets know and understand exactly how the majority of traders are going to think, which technical analysis they are going to use and I believe the market will behave differently to what can be predicted using some of the trading theories out there which are widely used by a lot of traders.

Looking at current price action another leg downwards seems feasible. 

If the saying,'Trend is your Friend', is believed then the current trade based on price action is 'Shorting' Bitcoin.

A lot of people think Bitcoin is junk and is going to zero. These are the very people that should be profiting from Bitcoin as IG allows them to 'Short' Bitcoin very easily and without any liquidity issues. Using their risk management on the assets they trade, this can be applied pretty easily for Bitcoin eliminating any excuses one has for not 'Shorting' Bitcoin which is trending strongly (based on price action and charts) at the moment. 

This is impressive and IG should be complimented on making this process seamless rather than seeing messages that state that an asset is available 'Long' only, etc. I have seen this on many other assets and also on Bitcoin around two to three years ago when IG first introduced Cryptocurrency trading on their UK platform. 

Well Bitcoin does not fail when it comes to surprising. It has a knack of performing rather strongly over the weekend and this Saturday evening is no different (UK time). 

When you look at the 'monthly' and 'weekly' charts then you will see that the real long term trend is down and bearish. It does not look positive. I totally accept that. For any other asset I would say it seems rather bearish as it infers to me further downside. 

Bitcoin_20190725_12_17.png.6f7fab0c709b0948905cf48de26e410b.png

Bitcoin_20190725_12.17-2.png.51fabaac96565b6cb474344a394969e5.png

However, this is Bitcoin and I believe we are seeing the start of a new 'Digital Revolution' where Cryptocurrencies, Digital Currencies and Tokenisation along with Blockchain will create a new future not tied to how historically other more traditional assets would have performed after such a parabolic rise and bubble. I think there is a strong chance that Bitcoin could create a new future price action and behaviour which many simply cannot conceive is they stick to theory in technical analysis books or listen to the media who change their story every time Bitcoin moves up or down.

Bitcoin has hit $10k but for me the question now is how much lower is Bitcoin going to go before this current correction / consolidation completes?

Until this is complete the next leg upwards cannot resume. Have we seen the low of around $9.4k or is there further downside towards $8k? I do not know the answer but current trend weakness and bearishness could mean a further decline. This is why I do not try and trade short term price movements as trading extreme volatility takes some serious skills which I do not have the time to execute.

When I am long in a position the only thing I try and do is add to my position on any dips and pyramid upwards. I try and do the same on any short positions on any price rises during a downtrend.