How do I stop the 'Please add funds to your account" emails

Guest backwardation

Question

Guest backwardation

The way I trade, I receive about 15-30  'please add funds to your account' and 'please add funds urgently' on a daily basis.  I don't need these warnings and I would rather stop receiving them.  How can I control that other than blocking IG from my email account (which I don't want to do)?

23 answers to this question

Guest backwardation

Thank you.  I didn't think of that.  In outlook inbox rules you can control actions based on the subject.  Here are the two rules I added that will hopefully fix my issue.

929228071_ScreenShot2019-09-18at9_10_14AM.thumb.png.e9194f07133833affebf5a7741f28004.png

Guest backwardation

@TrendFollowerIts a max leverage (2%) gambling/trading style for CL, without stops.  I normally blow the account a couple of times a week.  I always start from a $300 deposit and I withdraw 30% above $1000.  I've had huge success and spectacular losses.  Yesterday for example my account started the day at $187, ended the day at $2,300 (and I did blow the account during the day as well from about $1400 down to $380).  Today that can more than double, or I might end the day with $48.  I quantify my risk, in that I never fund my account more than I withdraw.  Overall its profitable strategy for me, but I've lost tens of thousands over the years to finally hammer out the kinks. 

Basically I'm a gambler that got better at it.  All I use in my 'strategy' are Bollinger Bands (13 periods) in 1, 3, and 30 min timeframe. 

Edited by backwardation
Guest backwardation

Yesterday I tool 43 trades all in CL (USOIL).  My strategy it to go 'all in' when the bar closes and a new one opens outside the BB13 on 1 min.  About 40% of the time this is too early an entry and my account is down 15-30% until it clips the 3 min BB13.  For big massive moves like yesterday and Sunday I also use 30min BB13.  Note than when price clips the Bollinger there is usually a pullback and a retest of the area it clipped, so you get to play the move twice in both directions.  This is a very costly strategy, so only play with 'free' money you have already made.  I don't place any take profits or stops.  I watch the Bollinger and wait for the pullback to exit a position on the other end of the 'price rotation' (think like a zigzag indicator, but I don't use it on screen).  Also when trading CL you have to have a scrolling twitter client open on your desktop like Tweetdeck with only important sqwuak services and trump in the feed.

There is a veteran pit trader I know who uses a similar strategy, but only on 1min and 3min, and he adds things like true strength index to his systems.  He posts his trades realtime on twitter.  He made $9,000 yesterday in pit session only.  @jimb2468 on twitter.

Guest backwardation

I must add and emphasize that this is probably not a good strategy for most people and will teach you extremely bad habits, and would really only work on a crazy volatile instrument like CL (possible GC and YM).  Please don't lose your money because of what I wrote here, I don't need bad Karma.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

41 minutes ago, backwardation said:

I must add and emphasize that this is probably not a good strategy for most people and will teach you extremely bad habits, and would really only work on a crazy volatile instrument like CL (possible GC and YM).  Please don't lose your money because of what I wrote here, I don't need bad Karma.  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Hi, sounds great, especially with the wild moves just lately, which platform are you using out of curiosity, I remember we were talking about the DMA platform a few months back.

Guest backwardation

DMA didn't help at all with futures.  I was hoping it would have a price ladder for futures but unfortunately it doesn't.  I execute on ProRealTime (using the scapling trade book window, the tiniest one, which I overlay on top always visible), but I watch the charts on SierraChart ($36/month).  I started using Sierra a couple of months ago to get volume information and volume profile.  I realized it didn't help my strategy, but its such a nice platform so I kept it for the bollingers.  They look much sharper on their hollow candles.

Guest backwardation
4 minutes ago, Guest phil said:

unsure if you are serious or just trolling everyone?

Not trolling, and definitely not advising anyone to use this strategy.  I just needed to know how to stop receiving emails.  Have a good day.

Guest backwardation

@tehka BB alone won't work for most real traders because the MAE (maximum adverse excursion) is very high for most sane people.  It takes a certain type of numbness to make it work, and only with an instrument where blowing 70% of your account can be made up  relatively quickly in a few trades.  It also doesn't work with the mindset of an account grower.  You have to keep withdrawing all the time before account blows.

@guestphil I must add that yesterday was a particularly volatile day (probably one of the top 10 volatile days in CL history), so yesterday's results are not typical.  Having said that my 'strategy' is profitable for me (touch wood and sprinkle salt and all the other good stuff).

Guest backwardation

I regret posting this.  People are DM'ing me thinking I'm trying to sell them something.  I realized that most people probably don't understand the leverage already built into the CL contract (1000 barrels).  So here's an example from yesterday:

This trade took 11 mins.  If your account had a tiny $150 balance and you took this trade with 1pound contract (margin $147), you would have made $315.  

Conversely, being on the wrong side of this will rip your face off. 

A more tropical trade involves 30-40 points, and you get so many of those during pit session.

Guest Trader Joe

I used to trade crude in a similar way using different indicators. It’s not for the faint hearted. I’ve made and lost thousands in a day. I would withdraw everything at the end of the week, until I realized Wednesday was usually my worst day. I’m a bit of a quantitative trader and I use stats with my system.  Once I started withdrawing On Tuesday’s my system became profitable. Something changed in the beginning of the year and my system became consistently a loser with crude. Now I just trade stocks, and the volatility can exceed crude on many days. 

Guest backwardation

@guesttraderjoe the ironic thing is my system got more profitable since start of the year.  I think the big tightening wedge CL has been in all year might have something to do with that.  I could never trade stocks, because my ability to screen is consistently worse than random selection (which is an achievement on its own).  Have a wonderful profitable day!

I'm sorry I don't want to be a pain, but I've seen a ton of BS online from people claiming crazy things.  If you are trading today can you post a screenshot of your results?  I really want this to be true.

Guest backwardation

Fair enough, although all I wanted to do was mute an email, I'm now on the defensive.

Here's today so far.  I've withdrawn most of my account yesterday and I've turned $539 into $1141.10. thats more than double only during this morning (Dubai time).  And pit session hasn't even started.  This is where most profits are made.  You forced me to brag, so yeah I'M **** GOOD.  Although to be honest you are right to be doubtful, tons of BS out there.  Only difference is I'm not trying to sell you anything and I'm telling you my way takes a lot of losses to learn.

Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 2.20.32 PM.png

notice my position size increasing to the max I possible can with my leverage with each trade.  That on CL is the secret sauce if you are good and have the psychology to withstand huge MAEs. Probably can be used with other scalping systems, not just my BB.

Edited by backwardation
said more things
Guest backwardation

@tehka yes absolutely this isn't a strategy for new traders, or even good traders.  Its a variation of reverse double martingale which is a betting strategy.  After 7 years of trading this method is what worked for me best, once I learned to control risk while still not using stops.  I used to let my accounts grow, only to see a 17k  account crushed to almost 0 in a matter of minutes.

Edited by backwardation
On 18/09/2019 at 15:39, backwardation said:

The way I trade, I receive about 15-30  'please add funds to your account' and 'please add funds urgently' on a daily basis.  I don't need these warnings and I would rather stop receiving them.  How can I control that other than blocking IG from my email account (which I don't want to do)?

I think it helps if you change from losing trades to winning ones :)

On 18/09/2019 at 15:39, backwardation said:

Try making less losing trades and more winning ones :)