On 26/09/2019 at 07:15, TrendFollower said:

@AbDXB1345,

Excellent question. 

I work full time and am an investor first and trader second. Trading is only a very small part of what I do. However, those who post frequently and share their intelligence, wisdom and great knowledge may well be full time traders whose primary source of income is trading. I mean they must be extremely profitable right as they spend so much time posting on IG Community as they have exceptional trading systems which allow them to do so. 

They serve everything but the 'main course'! 🍲

I mean it is like going to a restaurant really wanting their signature dish but instead the waiter serves you everything else to give you an idea of the quality of the restaurant apart from the actual dish you really wanted.

For me posting more frequently, more intelligent, more technical and more complex posts does not mean a trader is more profitable than someone who does not. I include myself in this by the way. Having high levels of knowledge may give you a better chance of success but it is not a given than someone who is far more knowledgable in trading actually makes more profits per annum year after year than something with less knowledge. 

For example, if I have trading capital of £1m and make 10% profits consistently per annum then that is far greater than an extremely knowledgeable trader with a better trading system who has trading capital of £100,000 and makes 20% profits consistently per annum.

It depends.  The future value of £1,000,000 invested at 10% per annum for 30 years is less than £17.5m.  The future value of £100,000 at 20% per annum for 30 years is more than £23.7m.  I can also have lots of fun with the spare £900,000 every year!

• Like 1

Guest noon

IF you are s/betting, I call it gambling, then target is 10%/month and is possible if you know what are you doing.

@JohnN,

I just used figures of 10% and 20% for ease in the example. The point I was making was that by having a larger amount of trading capital it can allow you the opportunity to make less percentage returns but still end up with more profits in terms of monetary value than someone who has less trading capital. They would need a higher percentage return to make the same monetary value in terms of profit. 

I am not debating who would be the better trader as this would be the trader who makes the higher percentage returns year on year consistently. I am merely suggesting  another side to this which is that some would choose or would rather have greater monetary value of profits per annum than the percentage return. Having a larger trading capital can provide that opportunity. Of course it does not guarantee it as if you are a bad trader and make bad trading decisions then it does not matter how much trading capital you have as you are going to be losing some of it year on year consistently. Most probably most of it!

Guest Trader Martino

Yes I do

On 26/09/2019 at 12:25, Caseynotes said:

That's what they were all saying all through 2016.

It dropped then.  Few quid in that.  Another I missed.

Actually it was all through most of 2015 as well but the point remains the same as today. 

By far the highest probability is for price to leave a chart pattern or period of consolidation going in the same direction as it went in.

Counter trend trades are always short duration trades. In an uptrend the stronger play is to look for bottoms not tops.

The doomsters who are waiting for the end of the world usually wait lifetimes.

image.thumb.png.72eb790aa8a78235e856e0afd068dabc.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Caseynotes said:

The doomsters who are waiting for the end of the world usually wait lifetimes.

2000 to 2008 (8 years)

2009 to 2019 or 20? (10 years?)

NOT exactly a lifetime but certainly life changing for those caught the wrong side and those open minded enough not to let bias blind them to opportunity (either way).  Data helps us but price action tells the tale.

3 minutes ago, Mercury said:

2000 to 2008 (8 years)

NOT exactly a lifetime but certainly life changing for those caught the wrong side and those open minded enough not to let bias blind them to opportunity (either way).  Data helps us but price action tells the tale.

Not exactly the end of the world either, but the difference is identifying a period of downtrend vs a period of consolidation. There have only been two short periods of downtrend so far this century so just shorting the highs is not the strong play. During consolidation in an uptrend the drops can be sharp and quick then it's a grind back to the top but there are more fake drops than real which is why retail, who are always trying to pick the tops, always do so badly. Which is why looking to identify support and catch the ride back up with the possibility of a breakout and trend continuation is the better play. When will be the next downtrend, who knows but we will know it when we see it. Until then there is no rush to get short.

1 hour ago, Mercury said:

2000 to 2008 (8 years)

Hmm ... despite the 'tech boom' technology actually came out better and stronger.  Don't you think that the tech sector (and technology in general) is a lot more valuable today than it was in 2000?

As for 2007 - present, wtf ... stocks have been on the rise for ten years.  The only people who really lost out and had their lives affected were people who lose their jobs and their homes.  What are you complaining about?

2 hours ago, dmedin said:

Hmm ... despite the 'tech boom' technology actually came out better and stronger.  Don't you think that the tech sector (and technology in general) is a lot more valuable today than it was in 2000?

As for 2007 - present, wtf ... stocks have been on the rise for ten years.

"Oh dear!"  You really didn't get that one did you...

2 hours ago, dmedin said:

What are you complaining about?

What makes you think there is any complaint there?  Just some facts.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Mercury said:

"Oh dear!"  You really didn't get that one did you...

I don't understand it.  If you'd bought Amazon, Microsoft or Apple stock in 2000 and held on to it you'd be a very happy person right now.  Why so much bitterness about tech stocks?

Edited by dmedin

1 minute ago, dmedin said:

Why so much bitterness about tech stocks?

What bitterness?  Why are you obsessing on tech stocks?

D'you know what?  Never mind.

13 minutes ago, Mercury said:

D'you know what?  Never mind.

Anyway.  So are you still 'well short'?

Nope, swing traders swings with the turns; read the indicators not the bias.  Long Stocks having cashed Shorts for a pretty profit; Short PMs but stayed in positions against the USD.  Let's see... 

• Like 1