Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

weekend trading 24/7

Recommended Posts

What do I need to do to trade GBP/USD or EUR/GBP  today or on any weekend?   Gunnar

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, gb18 said:

What do I need to do to trade GBP/USD or EUR/GBP  today or on any weekend?   Gunnar

 

Login, go to platform, search ‘weekend gbpusd’ , trade it. 

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, dmedin said:

30 point spread lol!

True but also let me know how else I can trade fx which settles at the globally traded fx rate on sunday night ;)especially over weekends with brexit! exclusivity means it lacks competition and can put a premium on it

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, dmedin said:

30 point spread lol!

also do you know if this is fixed or varies

Share this post


Link to post
15 hours ago, 247trader said:

also do you know if this is fixed or varies

It varies ...

lol @ claim of 24/7* trading, with this footnote:

* 24/7 excludes the 6 hours from 10pm Fri to 4am Sat, and 20 mins just before the weekday market opens on Sunday night.

Do IG understand what 24/7 means?

Edited by dmedin
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post

Hihi,

30pt spread on weekend cable is fixed. We're looking at reducing if feasible / volatility permitting (for reference, narrowest indicative prices we saw  from 1900 Sunday were 50 pts wide). How much of a factor in deciding whether to trade on the weekend is spread, what would you see as attractive to trade?

Regarding true 24/7 trading - it's very difficult. We keep having to trade off between release time & platform up time - unfortunately trading hours aren't likely to increase soon. Only silver lining is that usually the 2200-0400 period is very quiet in terms of macro events.

Open to any other feedback re. weekend markets.

Thanks,

Ludwik

 

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, Ludwik Chodzko-Zajko IG said:

Regarding true 24/7 trading - it's very difficult. We keep having to trade off between release time & platform up time - unfortunately trading hours aren't likely to increase soon.

 

My 2 cent's worth:

I am not concerned about 24/7 trading, in fact I think it's a silly idea, but you shouldn't claim 24 hour trading seven days a week when six hours of the sixth day are not available to trade.

I would however like you to improve the speed and reliability of your platform, and if that means taking it offline for an entire weekend, or 12 hours etc, then I would be happy with that.

Edited by dmedin

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, dmedin said:

I am not concerned about 24/7 trading, in fact I think it's a silly idea, but you shouldn't claim 24 hour trading seven days a week when six hours of the sixth day are not available to trade.

"161 hours 40 minutes a week" or "24/6, plus 18 hours minus 20 minutes on FX and 2 minutes on indices" didn't have quite the same ring to it I imagine....

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, 247trader said:

"161 hours 40 minutes a week" or "24/6, plus 18 hours minus 20 minutes on FX and 2 minutes on indices" didn't have quite the same ring to it I imagine....

Reminds me of back in 2000 when a UK company was offering 'free' internet domains (.co.uk, .com etc).  When I asked them why their 'free' domains cost £2.99, their response was 'well, it's so cheap it's practically free.'

That's how we do business in Britain ... by claiming to be something that we're not!

Of all the industries in the UK that has the most incentive to play by the rules and clean up its act, surely it's got to be the financial services industry.  Unless they are hoping to resume their swindling, cheating, fraudulent ways after Brexit.

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, dmedin said:

Reminds me of back in 2000 when a UK company was offering 'free' internet domains (.co.uk, .com etc).  When I asked them why their 'free' domains cost £2.99, their response was 'well, it's so cheap it's practically free.'

That's how we do business in Britain ... by claiming to be something that we're not!

Of all the industries in the UK that has the most incentive to play by the rules and clean up its act, surely it's got to be the financial services industry.  Unless they are hoping to resume their swindling, cheating, fraudulent ways after Brexit.

Hey @dmedin

I've spoken to the marketing team about this. Although we have the footnote regarding the 6 hour time off, I do see where you're coming from so I will pass on the information. Luckily they sit very close to me! 

Thanks for leaving your feedback :)

  • Great! 1

Share this post


Link to post

I used to get frustrated when weekends came around because I couldn't trade but now I enjoy the enforced break from the markets. Trying to trade over the weekend is not going to help your health and mindset over the longer term. 

Maybe use the weekend to work on yourself, your health and do the things you really enjoy. Just getting some perspective can really help your trading. Here's a website with some great ideas: https://www.thistradinglife.com/post/7-things-to-do-outside-of-the-markets-for-trading-success

Even if you want to do trading-related stuff, there's plenty of backtesting, strategy development and general reading around the topic you can do without actually trading. Oh and the spreads are HUGE too!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Member Statistics

    • Total Topics
      7,775
    • Total Posts
      40,553
    • Total Members
      50,944
    Newest Member
    bradleyjreid
    Joined 20/11/19 21:41
  • Posts

    • So US indices have been climbing higher (albeit a red day today). Trump needs the US stock market to blossom in order for him to say that it is a lot higher since he became US President.  So what happened to the wall he was going to build? This was one of the key pledges he was making during his election campaign. It is no different to Boris Johnson saying with confidence that the UK would leave the EU on 31st October 2019! There were even messages on the M1 (Motorway) in the UK inferring this.  POLITICAL SPIN and Marketing Wizardry at its best. Trump has focussed the media attention on the US-China Trade War to deflect from his broken promise so far.  Traders need to understand the fundamentals and how they work when it comes to politics and economics when trading not just US and UK indices but all major indices around the world. There were lots of stock market predictions being made about how it was going to see a big fall but this has not materialised. It may well do in 2020, I don't know, but never fight the trend until the bend at the end. Even then the bend can turn back again and continue which is what we have been witnessing with the US indices as politicians control the news flow, dictate the narrative and plot the course for stock markets.  
    • One should treat trading like a business. In any successful business there would be a business plan. So for any successful trader there must be a trading plan.  There is a cheesy line but very true which is something like - failing to plan is a plan to fail.  Some of the best and most successful traders in the world will have and are more likely to have a trading plan. I would be surprised if they do not.  This trading plan can be an evolving plan which can be changed and adapted as situations change, knowledge improves, experience is gained, etc. 
×
×