Sign in to follow this  

VIX - movement

Hi,

i am playing around with the VIX for a while and have noted an almost perfect negative correlation with the underlying S&P500 index. 

The negative correlation surprises me as the S&P hits all time highs. Especially as even on days with very low volatility where the index remains flat, the VIX will also remain flat. Usually I would expect such a substantial slowdown to yield a decline in VIX, but it seems like only increasing index values lead to a reduction in the VIX. 

Does someone have an intuitive explanation for that? 

Hey @TheDudeLondon, thanks for you feedback message. 

Historically, the S&P 500 and the VIX volatility index move in opposing directions. They not only offer mirror performance to each other, they typically do so with the a matching intensity.

You can find DailyFX Chief Currency Strategist John Kicklighters article about this correlation by following the link below: 

Correlation between VIX and S&P

He mentions how they normally act vs some rare occurrences when they correlate. 

I hope this helps :)

Join the conversation

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
    • Total Members
    Newest Member
    Blueprint
    Joined 07/12/19 17:37
    • There is an interesting development in the price action for Copper as the chart below shows: Soybean is also looking interesting at the same time. Soybean Oil has been on a good run. I shall end this chart feast with Soybean Meal!  
    • told you he was good 🙂
    • Podcast interviewing Chris Weston, (previously of IG Australia). I haven't heard the whole thing yet but Chris is always worth a listen. I'm hoping he will talk about using implied volatility as described in the video of his posted in the Technical Analysis thread. https://futuresradioshow.com/podcast/286/